This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Work From Home?

Rowena

Rowena Rising Star

So here's the deal... We need daycare, but can't afford it.  And right now, we can't afford for me not to be working...  And this is really the last week I'll actually have people able to watch my kiddo.  I cannot work full time cause of scheduling conflicts with my hubby, and SOOOOO my only option is basically to work from home... But I don't want to be scammed, so anyone know of good reliable companies that provide Work At Home jobs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Too bad we can't Internet babysit! We could pass the baby around and all get our baby fix!

I know people who work from home, but they have their own businesses selling or doing book keeping/ medical billing. Not something you could start next week.

I don't know what hours hub works but could you at least be a waitress or work the overnight shift at Walmart until you can arrange something better? Our Walmarts always need overnight workers.

Rowena Rising Star

Too bad we can't Internet babysit! We could pass the baby around and all get our baby fix!

I know people who work from home, but they have their own businesses selling or doing book keeping/ medical billing. Not something you could start next week.

I don't know what hours hub works but could you at least be a waitress or work the overnight shift at Walmart until you can arrange something better? Our Walmarts always need overnight workers.

Hahaha internet babysitting... now THAT would solve ALL my problems lol!  I guess the thing I could do is try and find someone else who works and we could do a co-op daycare or something... Fortunately I work a somewhat flexible schedule right now, but its during the day when hubby works no matter how I work it.  I think we might just have hubby switch group homes because the one he's at now is just a pain in the arse schedule wise.  (He's also 'looking' for a new job, though not hard enough IMO)

As for waitressing, I suppose now that I'm... how old am I?  I clean forgot!  Anyway, I'm over 21 now, so I guess I could.  (Yeah you can't serve unless you are 21 or older in Utah.)  But Walmart I don't think I could manage, especially not grave shifts.  (Long story as to why... come to think of it, I'd probably have trouble waitressing... gah!)

Adalaide Mentor

One of the things that most companies require for employees who work from home is a home office. It has to be where the computer is, sometimes have a phone, and have a door. They expect their employees to work without interruption, just as they would if they actually came into a work office, so you would likely have to alternate your schedule with your husband's, working while he is home. Some companies also simply set up schedules, just as if it were a real office.

I know you've said that doing traditional college isn't for you, but maybe you could consider a technical college. There isn't any of that writing and stuff, just learn things, test for them and get out. Once you've done that, maybe finding something at home for medical stuff would be easier and employers are less likely to have demands on the time of day you work, and more likely to be interested only in the amount of hours you work.

Unless you work for yourself, working from home is not what some people think it is or spread rumors it is. And working for yourself is not exactly sunshine and roses.

notme Experienced

just drop the kid here - everybody else does!  lolz!  and don't pay me - nobody else does!  :D  

i watch (my grandson, my neice & nephew, the kid next-door, etc...) the kids so their parents can work.  i always hope they're getting ahead, then i hear they do stupid crap with their $$ and wonder what i'm doing this for.......

you can probably do some sort of customer service from home - i toyed with the idea for a minute - you need to have a dedicated space, though, and you may not be able to take a break when you need to tend to your sweet baboo.  i was brokering freight from the house but it was too stressful - i wasn't eating.

GFinDC Veteran

I used to work from home.  I worked for HP on a network management contract.  Some companies use work from home employees for their help desk support.  My job was long hours even tho it was at home.  A help desk job / customer support position would most likely be fixed hours instead, which is probably better for you.

bartfull Rising Star

Before I opened my shop I used to give guitar lessons out of my home. Made a darned good living too.

Mom used to make and decorate wedding cakes before she got sick. Then she started making afgans and sweaters and baby clothes. She made a lot of money once she got going.

I have a friend who makes jewelry and sells it on consignment at a local jewelry store.

So, what are your talents? It takes a while to build up clientele, but if you can make something at home and sell it, eventually you might be able to make enough money to live on. Are you good at making gluten-free goodies? :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

You might find some useful information here: Open Original Shared Link

JackieG2903 Newbie

I used to work from home a few years ago, but stopped because I had 3 very young kids and I was losing my mind! I'm going to be taking a few daycare kids now that 2 of my 3 are going to be in school. I start September 4th... I'm nervous, but excited!

Rowena Rising Star

Bartfull - I think you are a psychic or something!  I don't openly advertise that I bake!  And yet you figured me out! Hahahaha

notme! - sure thing!  Free daycare ftw!  (Kidding.  Don't have any idea where you are!)

Meanwhile, I think we've come to a conclusion.  Hubby's gonna find a second job and I'll STAY at home.

bartfull Rising Star

Bartfull - I think you are a psychic or something!  I don't openly advertise that I bake!  And yet you figured me out! Hahahaha

notme! - sure thing!  Free daycare ftw!  (Kidding.  Don't have any idea where you are!)

Meanwhile, I think we've come to a conclusion.  Hubby's gonna find a second job and I'll STAY at home.

Well, I've never been called psychic although a few people have called me psych-O. :blink:  :lol:

How about you send me some of those baked goodies and I'll tell you if I think you can make money selling them? :)

Rowena Rising Star

Well, I've never been called psychic although a few people have called me psych-O. :blink:  :lol:

How about you send me some of those baked goodies and I'll tell you if I think you can make money selling them? :)

Hahaha!

And hmmm DONE!  Any other allergies/intolerances I should be aware of for you goodies?  ;)

bartfull Rising Star

No soy and no corn. Oh, and I'm off of dairy and sugar right now too. Let's see, what does that leave? Not MUCH!! Guess I'll have to wait a while until I get some of these things back. :angry:

Rowena Rising Star

No soy and no corn. Oh, and I'm off of dairy and sugar right now too. Let's see, what does that leave? Not MUCH!! Guess I'll have to wait a while until I get some of these things back. :angry:

Hmmm only thing that complicates my cooking is the sugar.  *thinks*  What do you use as a replacement?

(I use mostly rice flour in my cooking hence the reason why I say no soy and no corn isn't a problem lol)

Edit: Carob doesn't bother you does it?  (I use carob as a chocolate replacement since I try to avoid chocolate.  Sometimes I can't resist though.)

bartfull Rising Star

Stevia for a sweetener? I don't know about carob - haven't tried it. Chocolate seems to bother me though. I still think salicylates are bothering me so carob is probably out. (I had a Lara bar yesterday, the one with nothing in it but cashews and dates. Had a bad reaction and I know cashews don't bother me so it must have been the dates. The sals forum lists dried fruit as very high in sals. It's a shame because it was good.)

Rowena Rising Star

Okay, well I've got other recipes I can make without carob and probably without salicylates.

And oh yeah!  Forgot about Stevia!

*grin* I'm up for this challenge... it will be fun!

Archived