This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Robin Gluten Free Bun

vallene45

vallene45 Apprentice

Hello, i was looking at red robin's menu and there is a gluten free bun available, has anyone tried it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

there is another thread started about red robin - maybe y'all can chat about it  :)  personally, i have not tried it yet.

kareng Grand Master
notme Experienced
cap6 Enthusiast

They use Udi's buns.  Udi's required that the restaurant go through training on how to handle the product.  they have special toss away toasing trays etc.  This info was given to me by the kitchen manager of our local Red Robin.  I travel alot and the awareness all seems to be pretty uniform. 

MindytheOrganist Enthusiast

I'm a little late, but celiac hubby has tried the bun.  Typical gluten-free bun that breaks apart, so he still has to eat the burger with a fork.  Wish they could get Canyon Bakehouse buns; they are the only ones, at this point, that hold together!

• 2 weeks later...
Nea Newbie

Hello, i was looking at red robin's menu and there is a gluten free bun available, has anyone tried it?

Yes, I was recently in California and ate at Red Robin and Ruby's they both offered the gluten free bun.   I found it to be a good substitute,  I was starving for a good juicy hamburger,  it would have been awful if I had to have just had a salad....  The bun is large, and rather dry,  and it is a lot of bread,  but I have a smaller appetite these days,  so I wasn't able to eat it all.  but I found it okay.   Far better than anything I had eaten before.   I found some at whole foods that looked the same and bought them for home use,  and I think they are the same....I take them out and wrap them individually and then put them back in the bag because gluten free bread has a tendency to go bad rather quickly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Veghead1234 Apprentice

Red Robin also says they have a separate fryer for their fries. My daughter gets really excited to go there and get good fries! They put the gluten-free fries in a different color basket so the wait staff doesn't get them mixed up (and they don't put any salt on them, I'm not sure why). Have any of you gotten sick after eating the gluten-free stuff at Red Robin? Or are they pretty good? My daughter doesn't have symptoms, so if they messed it up, we wouldn't know.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ugh!  I had my first major glutening there this past week!  I ordered the gluten-free burger.  Fries were  on the gluten-free menu at the location I was at but were asterisked indicating possible cross contamination issues.  So beware Veghead1234!

The burger was decent (no condiments)t and I know that it was gluten-free.  I ordered a plain side salad without dressing.  Started with a bit of indigestion, but woke up at night very sick!  I'm on day five and finally feeling better (though I haven't eaten anything yet!).  I hadn't been out to a restaurant in a few weeks, and it happened that day and it was NOT food poisoning.

I managed to write a Yelp and Find-Me-Guten-Free review.  I complimented Red Robin on their service and how everyone else in my party enjoyed their meal.  Cross contamination must have been the problem.  Red Robin responded but I've been too sick to get back with them.  But, I will!

So, I'm happy to report that they seem anxious to make things right! 

I spent the entire summer on vacation and living in a gluten house and eating out even at fast food (Wendy's) and didn't get glutened.  I guess it's true that the longer you are away from gluten, the hard the reaction can be when you are exposed even to the tiniest amounts!  Even though I've only been diagnosed since March, my husband has been gluten-free for 12 years, so I know the ropes more than the average newbie.  

I did have a great burger last night (and it went down well), lettuce wrapped in my own backyard!

P.S.  I'd recommend fries at In-In-Out or Five Guys because their fryers are completely dedicated (no nuggets ever get tossed in!)  At least that's my experience.

Veghead1234 Apprentice

So sorry Red Robin made you sick! Since my daughter doesn't have symptoms, we really wouldn't be able to tell if they are contaminating her food. They tell us there's a separate fryer and a manager usually comes out to talk to us about her needs. Where was the location you got glutened? We are in Colorado.

That's awesome about Five Guys, though! I didn't know they had dedicated fryers! My daughter will be so excited - there's one right near our house. We don't have In and Out, but that's good to know when traveling. I thought Wendys fried nuggets in the same fryer with the fries? The Wendys stuff doesn't bother you? My daughter would love to be able to get their fries too (she really misses fries, in case you can't tell!).

cyclinglady Grand Master

So sorry Red Robin made you sick! Since my daughter doesn't have symptoms, we really wouldn't be able to tell if they are contaminating her food. They tell us there's a separate fryer and a manager usually comes out to talk to us about her needs. Where was the location you got glutened? We are in Colorado.

That's awesome about Five Guys, though! I didn't know they had dedicated fryers! My daughter will be so excited - there's one right near our house. We don't have In and Out, but that's good to know when traveling. I thought Wendys fried nuggets in the same fryer with the fries? The Wendys stuff doesn't bother you? My daughter would love to be able to get their fries too (she really misses fries, in case you can't tell!).

No, I can only get a potato, chili or a salad at Wendy's.   No fries!  Stick with Five Guys.  

I used to buy Alexia Frozen Fries, but they've expanded and now are produced on shared equipment.   :( Will have to roast my own potatoes, which I like, but they don't appeal to my daughter!  

And yes, each restaurant (even if it is a chain) is dependent on how well their staff adhere's to gluten free policies. 

kareng Grand Master

In Colorado there are quite a few places that do a good job of gluten-free. 

No, I can only get a potato, chili or a salad at Wendy's.   No fries!  Stick with Five Guys.  

I used to buy Alexia Frozen Fries, but they've expanded and now are produced on shared equipment.   :( Will have to roast my own potatoes, which I like, but they don't appeal to my daughter!  

And yes, each restaurant (even if it is a chain) is dependent on how well their staff adhere's to gluten free policies. 

We like Ore-Ida fries.

cap6 Enthusiast

No matter where you eat you always take a chance, human error, but over all I have eaten at Red Robin in five different states and only found one that did not have a dedicated fryer.  I usually ask for the kitchen manager at a new place and chat with them just to be sure that I feel comfortable that they are well trained!

Veghead1234 Apprentice

No matter where you eat you always take a chance, human error, but over all I have eaten at Red Robin in five different states and only found one that did not have a dedicated fryer.  I usually ask for the kitchen manager at a new place and chat with them just to be sure that I feel comfortable that they are well trained!

That's a relief to know, because I really have no way to know if my daughter has been glutened. I guess I can still feel OK eating there (but no more Dominoe's for her :-()

kareng Grand Master

That's a relief to know, because I really have no way to know if my daughter has been glutened. I guess I can still feel OK eating there (but no more Dominoe's for her :-()

But you will know by her follow-up tests if you are doing enough.  Her antibody levels will come down and eventually be in the negative range.

Open Original Shared Link

Veghead1234 Apprentice

But you will know by her follow-up tests if you are doing enough.  Her antibody levels will come down and eventually be in the negative range.

Open Original Shared Link

Yes, that's part of the reason I worry. Her first test of course was off the charts (way above 100, the doc said). Second test went to 17, third to 11. Doc says the normal range is 4 or less, and it seems to be taking so long to get there! It makes me wonder what she might be getting that's glutinous, or if it just takes a long time? It's already been a year and a half.

kareng Grand Master

Yes, that's part of the reason I worry. Her first test of course was off the charts (way above 100, the doc said). Second test went to 17, third to 11. Doc says the normal range is 4 or less, and it seems to be taking so long to get there! It makes me wonder what she might be getting that's glutinous, or if it just takes a long time? It's already been a year and a half.

Have you actually seen that blood work and the range?  I'm wondering if the "normal range" is really 0-19?  Something to check.

Veghead1234 Apprentice

Have you actually seen that blood work and the range?  I'm wondering if the "normal range" is really 0-19?  Something to check.

That is an excellent question. I have seen people say under 20 is normal. I haven't seen the paperwork that comes back from the lab, and I'm not sure what the antibody is that they're measuring. I also wonder if the standard is different for children. Maybe that's why he says it should be under 4? I'm not even sure how to get that paperwork. Maybe I can ask for copies next time we go to the doc. I think she has an appointment coming up pretty soon.

psawyer Proficient

The reference ranges vary by test, and by the lab doing the test. So you really need to have the range information from the lab that did the test to be sure what the number means.

kareng Grand Master

That is an excellent question. I have seen people say under 20 is normal. I haven't seen the paperwork that comes back from the lab, and I'm not sure what the antibody is that they're measuring. I also wonder if the standard is different for children. Maybe that's why he says it should be under 4? I'm not even sure how to get that paperwork. Maybe I can ask for copies next time we go to the doc. I think she has an appointment coming up pretty soon.

Just ask for copies.  Every time you have a test run, ask for copies to keep in a notebook. 

Like Peter said, the reference ranges are different by lab and test.  Because US doctors now so little about Celiac (but some think they know a lot :wacko: ), you should be checking these tests with your own eyeballs. 

Veghead1234 Apprentice

Very good points! I think her doc is knowledgeable, but I've had doctors in the past that "seem" to know what they're doing, and it turns out they don't at all! So I should definitely be checking up on him. I'll have the office send me over copies of the lab work. That would give me some peace of mind. 

TGK112 Contributor

My experiences at Red Robin have been great! They have a dedicated section for preparing their burgers and all fries are gluten free - the fries are made in a dedicated fryer. Five guys is good too - especially for fries. I was dismayed though - when I was there last time, I told the server my situation, told her that I brought my own bun. The good part - she offered to change her gloves. The bad part - she told me that she thought she had heard that their buns were gluten free :( 

I told her - I don't think so!! 

• 3 years later...
Chris0120 Newbie

I have tried their gluten free buns. I have celiacs disease and have not had a regular burger on a bun for years. I literally almost cried when I had one there. Best gluten free bun I've had since diagnosed!!!!! When I go there, I feel normal. Like I can eat a regular meal. You can even buy their buns to go! It's soooo worth it!!!! I love Red Robin and feeling like I'm not missing out when I eat there!!!!!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
6 hours ago, Chris0120 said:

I have tried their gluten free buns. I have celiacs disease and have not had a regular burger on a bun for years. I literally almost cried when I had one there. Best gluten free bun I've had since diagnosed!!!!! When I go there, I feel normal. Like I can eat a regular meal. You can even buy their buns to go! It's soooo worth it!!!! I love Red Robin and feeling like I'm not missing out when I eat there!!!!!

I think red robin is one of the many companys that buy and use Canyon House Bakery buns. You can try getting them your self, giving a brush of butter and toasted them for that toasted buttery bun you normally get.

notme Experienced

i eat at MY red robin all the time - whoever said it's so nice to feel 'normal' and grab a burger, how right you are!!  so, the one closest to me (knoxville) hasn't done me in yet :)  but i did eat at one in madeira ohio that was not safe (it was the one at the mall, not the other one) so, it depends on which one i guess.  the one in rockaway mall in nj is also very good  :)

ps - they will sell you the buns - not cheap, i think they're a buck apiece - but they come frozen in sealed, individual packages and are soooooooooo much better than any burger buns i can find at the supermarket.  (i get like, 8-10 and bribe my gluten-free brother with them lolz) 

Archived