This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened Or Gastritis Flare?

Eclara

Eclara Explorer

I went on a road trip this past weekend, and had my first ever drink of alcohol on Sunday night. It was Arbor Mist wine, which from my research appeared to be gluten free. I didn't have much, maybe 2, 2 and half little glasses. I didn't really feel the fun part of it, all it did was flare my rosacea and make my brain fog worse and my stomach a little burny. (It was disappointing, really, after all that build up!) I knew it was a bad idea as I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis in December and have been doing so much better lately because I've been babying my stomach, but I'm turning 22 in 4 months and it was bothering me that I'd never tried anything at my age. Anyway, I felt ok the next morning, my stomach felt a little irritated but nothing too bad, and it got better after I ate breakfast. Late afternoon I started feeling weird and out of it the way I had when I was eating gluten, but at the time I figured I was just exhausted. I got home Monday night and felt a little sick after eating dinner. When I woke up Tuesday, I felt TERRIBLE. Weak, shaky limbs, dizziness, brain fog like I haven't had in months, anxiety and strong depressive outbursts, extreme nausea, urgent BMs. I took charcoal pills which I think prevented me from throwing up, and I've been sticking with broth and mashed bananas and easy foods like that. But now I'm not sure what caused it! I packed all of my own food for the road trip, but there were definitely opportunities for me to get glutened. Among other things, the friend I was riding with was eating fried chicken at the wheel and I was not nearly as careful as I could have been, especially towards the end. She also took a drink out of my glass after eating pasta and we shared a bag of grapes after she'd eaten a bagel.

In your opinion, is it possible this is all just due to a gastritis flare up from the wine, or have I been glutened? Or could it a weird, delayed reaction to something in the wine? The mental and shaky symptoms seem odd for just gastritis alone, but I can't really be sure. I haven't really been glutened since going gluten-free so I'm not sure how sensitive I am, or how I react.

It really sucks, I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow morning and I have all this on top of it! No good at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'd say glutened...

notme Experienced

i'd say glutened, too - my (full-on, hit by a truck) gluten reaction is delayed til day 2 after i ingest gluten.  i get really, really irritable, get a headache, not too bad and then POW day 2 forget it.  i'll be in the bed (or the bathroom)  hope you feel better soon

Tbolt47 Newbie

Eclara,

Prior to my Dx, 7 months ago, drinking two glasses of wine gave me a relaxed " buzz". At present two glasses of wine have no intoxicating effect at all. In fact what follows is a sleepless night and several days of symptoms similar to having ingested gluten. Organic wine and " gluten free " beer have the same effect.

GottaSki Mentor

Sounds like glutening from the road trip rather than wine...actually sounds like you may have had a couple glutenings...road trips are great, but do need extra care and a bit of steering wheel/gearshift cleanings if driving is shared with a gluteneater.

Eclara Explorer

Thank you all for the replies! I agree that it was probably the gluten, although the wine probably didn't help with the stomach pain. I guess I've learned my lesson about slacking now! I'm doing a little better today, the drugs from my wisdom tooth extraction are masking most of the other symptoms, so there's a plus! Weirdly, the glutening actually turned out to be a bit of a life saver for me today, as the stomach discomfort made going without food for 12 hours before the extraction much easier and the brain fog (which, among other things, dulls most of my emotions and make things feel unreal) pretty much killed any pre-surgery jitters I would absolutely have had otherwise and made it all go even faster. And now the painkillers have wiped out my muscle pain, so I guess if I was going to get glutened, now was a pretty good time to do it. Especially seeing as I've got the next few days off from life and solid foods anyhow. Killed two birds with one stone, as it were!

Thanks again!

gatita Enthusiast

Weirdly, the glutening actually turned out to be a bit of a life saver for me today, as the stomach discomfort made going without food for 12 hours before the extraction much easier and the brain fog (which, among other things, dulls most of my emotions and make things feel unreal) pretty much killed any pre-surgery jitters I would absolutely have had otherwise and made it all go even faster.

Now that's what I call a positive attitude! Never thought there could be a bright(er) side to glutening lol.... Hope you keep feeling better...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived