This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Apparently You Guys Were Right, It's All In My Head!

Renegade

Renegade Contributor

So I went to the clinic, didn't wait for the weekend, skipped 12 hours of work, unpaid of course and told the doctor about all my symptoms, to my impression she actually listened and requested to have a full check of my issue via blood test and stomach as well as colon/intestine exam.

The next day I got my blood test done,got tested for a list of all stuff like thyroid,vitamin B12, Biochemistry (urine test) and just a handful of other stuff I can't remember because I don't have the paper anymore, they took 5 ingestion, 2 for other test and 3 for lactose. I will be getting the stomach and colon exams in September.

Well so apparently all I have is a lactose intolerance and everything else is fine.

So i guess my symptoms such as:

-Neck Pain

-Extreme fatigue

-Cutting out ,exercise and ton of other foods

-Digestive issue

-Stomach pain when eating almost anything

-Constipation

-Shortness of breathe

-Feeling of throat inflammation

-Brain fogs

-Eye pain to the point I had to rest 12 hours yesterday not cause of fatigue but simply because having my eyes open hurt too much.

and just so many more

Those are probably all in my heads, most likely has to be related by my pathetic panic attacks right? As this is what you guys been suggesting.

I'll be getting a copy of my results tonight so maybe you experts can have a look and confirm it's indeed all in my mind.

Guess I must also not been gluten intolerant or celiac, might wanna go back to eating it again as it only got worse since i quit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
answerseeker Enthusiast

Well it doesn't seem to be gluten number one

Number two you don't like this forum and have made it clear that we are rude even though you have received tons of advice

Number three I have all the symptoms your talking about and I've been gluten free over 2 months. Guess what my dr is suggesting? Lactose or even a milk allergy because I actually get short of breath and stuffy nose etc. I've had the neck pain all week.

I know I can't eat gluten but you've never really confirmed that right?

nvsmom Community Regular

I didn't start to feel really well, besides some intestinal improvements, until I was 6 months gluten-free; in fact (for a while) I felt worse after a few months gluten-free. I am now over one year gluten-free and I still have symptoms that my hubby has never experienced although they are less severe than they used to be. It's not an overnight fix.

If you think it's NCGI then stick with the diet for longer and look into other options in the meantime.... and drop dairy.  Good luck.

Renegade Contributor

I had already dropped dairy, except milk in my coffee there and there and had some lactose free milk, i had cut yogurt and was already on almond milk for moths before getting all those symptoms.

nvsmom Community Regular

If you are still having occassional dairy in your coffee, and lactose free milk, that's not dropping dairy. I would consider that dairy-lite.  Try going 100% dairy free including dairy in baked goods and in junk foods like nachos as well. It couldn't hurt to tighten it up a bit.

Renegade Contributor

If you are still having occassional dairy in your coffee, and lactose free milk, that's not dropping dairy. I would consider that dairy-lite.  Try going 100% dairy free including dairy in baked goods and in junk foods like nachos as well. It couldn't hurt to tighten it up a bit.

I did not have junk food in over 4 months. I though dairy was bad because of lactose, is there more to it then just lactose?

Adalaide Mentor

Dropping dairy means reading every label for hidden dairy. Not just looking for milk but for all of its possible derivatives, in every food you eat that has ingredients.

If part of what they're doing next month includes a scope you need to be eating gluten for a biopsy to show celiac if you do actually have it. It sounds like the doctor is looking for problems, not telling you the issue is in your head. Not the same thing at all.

My daughter is lactose intolerant and it took 18 years to get a diagnosis. She was incredibly sick before they discovered her issue. She wasn't sleeping well, was in constant pain, but especially when she ate, alternating C and D, so much more that pointed to a textbook celiac case. But her blood work and biopsy were negative, she responded (at least partly) to a lactose free diet and everything comes back if she has diary. I wouldn't make assumptions about what dairy can or can't do to your whole system when it doesn't agree with you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommy2krj Explorer

Well....that is the joy of figuring these things out. I would say, given the fact that a large portion of the people here went 20, 30+ years having symptoms before they got diagnosed....you're right on track! ;)

But seriously. No one here ever said anything was in your head. You were given good advice. Your choice if you follow it or not.

Saying you dropped dairy and still have it in your coffee and baked goods and other things that you're eating or drinking is like saying you're gluten free but still having a sandwich with regular bread for lunch.

It's hard. We all know this. We've all been frustrated by it. Some spent their whole lives sicker than you have been on your sickest day. Get all your test results back and yes, post them. You at least have one diagnosis right now. This is a good thing! Did the doctor tell you it's all in your head? It sure doesn't seem like it if you were diagnosed with lactose intolerance. Do you have all the results from the other tests that were run or are you still waiting for them?

Renegade Contributor

Hard? I couldn't give less a crap about giving up dairy, only reason I was having it in my coffee was because I wouldn't bring my almond milk at work because I wouldn't ever drink enough almond milk at work to drink the whole thing before it spoil, I'll be off work at the end of the mount, it will be easy then. I was already off yogurt and cheese or any dairy thing beside butter, once in a blue moon.

What's hard is the fact I had cut, so many things only to get just as sick and worse, was it weed, coffee, nuts, nightshades, garlic, dairy, gluten, oat, grains,cross-contamination or hell even hidden magic, it could have been anything. 

The doctor didn't say it was in my head, but said that there was nothing else in my blood results so she didn't contact me as nothing was alarming, you guys on the forum did mention several times that all of this looked like anxiety, anxiety is in your head.

So now you guys are saying that dairy could be what this been all along! There must be a lot of hidden dairy in vegetables,rice,fruits,meat and almond milk, as this is what i been eating for the past 2 months

I really doubt that a little bit of milk and 1/2 spoon of butter would make me so sick, specially since for days I would not have it at all and still be just as sick. It's not like i was having it regularly, also, I only felt bad ONCE after having milk and that was from a chocolate bar but I guess a little bit of milk once in a week which doesn't make me feel bad is enough to make me feel like I am physically dying every day.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Remember we are not doctors. I think you are putting way to much responsibility and blame on this forum. I mean the subject line alone reads we are to blame basically. I can't really help much anymore and not sure anyone else here can.....

srall Contributor

One more person to advise that dropping dairy means ALL dairy.  I continued for about a year to just use cream in my coffee and had pretty bad D almost constantly.  It was when I finally dropped all dairy that I started to heal from the damage dairy was doing to my body.  

And I know it's frustrating when you feel like people are telling you that things are all in your head.  I know a lot of people on this board have felt that way for sure!  This should be the place that you don't feel that way.   Getting rid of gluten, corn and dairy cleared up 90% of my issues.  The frustrating thing is that uncovering the rest of the puzzle is hard.  And it seems like food sensitivities can come and go (I've had to drop eggs, but then got them back)

This process will teach you to listen to your body, and not worry so much about outside noise.  I don't use this board much anymore, but in the beginning this place was an absolute lifesaver.  

Good luck in your journey!

kareng Grand Master

I believe you were brought up the fact that you have anxiety attacks early on in your postings.

Looks like you found a doctor to help you.  Obviously you haven't died as you threatened to a few times.  :D   When you kept insisting that you couldn't breathe, we all told you that was serious (if it was true) and needed immediate attention. 

It appears you don't need or want our help any longer.  I hope this doctor can help you with your issues. 

Adalaide Mentor

While anxiety is literally in your head because it involves being an issue with your brain, that doesn't make it an "in your head" as in an imaginary issue or one that is to be taken lightly. When that was suggested, no one was saying that the problem wasn't serious or that you shouldn't seek medical attention. They were simply relating what their experiences were when they had issues with anxiety and how that related to causing all sorts or problems. My only real anxiety issues are in relation to the dentist or a few (very serious) phobias. When I have a dentist appointment coming up I get incredibly ill for days beforehand as I get more and more worried about how it will go. And if I have a panic attack, I will be sick for days or sometimes more than a week after. It alters every aspect of my life when it happens. I get tired, pain, GI issues, headaches, worse than usual insomnia, appetite disruption and mood issues. It goes away, but not right away. Having something chemically altered in your head can impact so much of your body, and it isn't imaginary or less real than having any other disease or illness. So I think you need to get over the idea that having this sort of issue is less of an issue or should be a "non-issue" or maybe isn't really real. Would you treat a beloved family member that way? Tell them that? No? Than why would you do it to yourself?

You're saying that we (the forum) are saying it could have been dairy all along? Your doctor is telling you you have a dairy problem. Not us. We have been telling you repeatedly and often to seek medical care. Beyond that we have been relating what have been our collective experiences and how they may related to your situation. That is what a community does. You have been combative and dismissive and yet we have tried to help. You are still being combative by trying to blame us for misdiagnosing you all along when we should have just told you it was a dairy problem. When we have told you all along (again) that we were sharing opinions or our own experiences and to seek medical care. I'm glad you finally did. Now you will be able to get definitive answers for what is wrong and be able to treat it accordingly.

I can tell you that from what I have seen my daughter experience, cutting out most, nearly all or all but this tiny bit I don't think I can live without for the next month will leave you with symptoms related to your lactose intolerance. Being lactose free means FREE, not lactose light. You can get a small container to bring a week's worth of almond milk to work in for your coffee. Or, as I long ago learned in situations where I had to choose between coffee without milk or no coffee, I prefer my coffee with just sugar to not at all. You may find the same is true if you give it a go a few times.

nvsmom Community Regular

I did not have junk food in over 4 months. I though dairy was bad because of lactose, is there more to it then just lactose?

Yes. Some people have problems with more than just the sugar (lactose) in milk. Some have issues with the casein (protein) too and possibly the whey. My son's behaviour is affected by milk. He is much calmer and more focused when he is dairy free, and by dairy free I mean zero dairy in anything.

Dairy may not be the cause of all of your problems, but it might be causing some of them. You did say your doctor found you have a problem with dairy, right? Work with that for now.

Earth's balance is a very nice butter substitute that you might consider. Coconut oil is tasty for cooking and baking. 

For your coffee, a can of coconut milk might be good for at work, or take a small amount of almond milk in a jar to work and freeze the rest for the following week.

As for the anxiety, yes it is in your head, but so are my migraines - it doesn't mean that you are making it up.Gluten induced anxiety is a symptom of gluten intolerance. Anxiety can also be caused by a number of other health related issues. Perhaps try googling the causes and you will find something that fits for you and then do more research into it. 

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Renegade Contributor

The thing is you guys think It could have been anxiety, as in I was having stress for who knows why, I wasn't having anxiety, I wasn't being in a panic attack, I did get anxiety before and this is how I can tell that how i was feeling in those very moment was NOT anxiety but you guys still suggested that how I was feeling was likely to be anxiety. Meaning that yes it is in my head to feel panicked for whatever reason but there is nothing wrong with my mind, yes i had a crap ton of stress out for so many things but no I wasn't in a state of panicking, i been managing my stress, I am not saying this to protect my ego, I am saying this because I know how I feel and how it feel to be panicked because again, i have been and know how it feels like and ths I can tell when I am not in this state.

My doctor has never mentioned the word dairy, she said LACTOSE intolerance and suggested lactose free milk and lactose free products, which I been doing already by having lactose free milk a FEW times since last week before that I had occasion milk at work and been on almond milk for MONTHS.

I will definitively go lactose,casein and whey free and see if this does anything, although I am sure it won't as everything I cut so far has done nothing to improve but there is nothing to lose from this at that point.

As far as my breathing, no it didn't kill me, doesn't make it any less be imaginating it.

deals88 Rookie

Ya know mate i used to drink almond milk every day then i started feeling sick from it and i have no other diary products, so you could try dropping it like ive no idea what is in it that caused it for me but i just got rid of it. Also the whey in my protein shake but its tolerable. GL

Renegade Contributor

Ya know mate i used to drink almond milk every day then i started feeling sick from it and i have no other diary products, so you could try dropping it like ive no idea what is in it that caused it for me but i just got rid of it. Also the whey in my protein shake but its tolerable. GL

How would it feel when it would make you sick, nausea, cramps,digestive issue?

And how fast would you get a reaction?

come dance with me Enthusiast

Yes, there is also the protein called caseine.  I'm sorry you are having a hard time.  I've not read all the responses, just wanted to say that sometimes people can react to things without having an actual allergy or proven intolerance to it. 

My step mum can't have a whole load of things but no tests have shown her what she can or can't have, she just knows what makes her feel bad and what makes her feel good and chooses the food that makes her feel good.  That means no garlic, onion, shallots, chickpeas and some other things, I get them to email a list before each visit, but their visits are years apart anyway.  She can't have gluten either. 

As for anxiety, I have really bad anxiety and get anxiety attacks.  This is not the same as feeling stressed.  This is feeling like being in the grips of a heart attack. 

GFinDC Veteran

Hi R,

I suggest you don't assume that there is only one cause of your symptoms.  If you read the signature lines of some forum members you will see that they may have multiple food intolerances besides gluten.  That isn't real unusual.  Eliminating one problem food can change or improve your symptoms, but if there are other problem foods in your diet, it won't get rid of all your symptoms.

Casein sensitive enteropathy is a condition that causes gut damage from casein.  There is no automatic fix to food intolerances, we just have to figure them out and avoid the problem foods.  B-vitamins being low might cause anxiety in some cases.  turns out B vitamins are very important for nerve function.  And guess what your brain is full of?  Nerve cells!

It sounds like you went gluten-free and your symptoms got worse?  That doesn't mean you aren't gluten sensitive.  People often report feeling worse on the gluten-free diet for a while after they start it.  It's not an instant fix type of thing, but a slow slog to improvement.  Keeping with the gluten-free diet for 6 months or more is a pretty good start.

If you want to research how gluten can affect the brain, try searching on gluten ataxia or gluten and pschizopohrenia.  There is lots of info on the web about it.

I suggest you keep with the gluten-free diet since it is not going to hurt you and it may end up helping you a lot.  NCGI does not show up on any standard testing right now, so your doc won't be able to test you for it.

You  have a good start, may as well keep it for for a few more months and see if things start to improve IMHO.

deals88 Rookie

Its awhile ago now

It was awhile ago now but i just had that feeling that it wasnt agrreing with my body and then i was like it cant be this but it continued so i stopped, it was a similar feeling i get with all diary which is like a blocked stuffy feeling on my inside like stuff isnt operating properly. It did not cause cramps are that pain we get on our left sides that only comes from direct gluten for me. Not long after i tend to think that mild reactions happen quicker for me anyway, about 30 mins to 3 hours usally is my reaction time. If i have been proper done in though it might be a day or 2 then i know im f#%$£.

If you want to take the time to list your daily diet i could have a look and others seem willing to help, i eat the same food every day same time etc but thats largly because of my gym routine/diet. I think this is the best way to be your healthiest find food that works and stick with it.

Renegade Contributor

So here are my test results

Sanguine formula:

White Globules: 3,6 x10^9/L

Red Globules: 5,16 x10^12/L

HB: 164 g/L

HT: 0,486 fl

VGM: 94,2 fl

HGM: 31,9 pg

CHGM: 338 g/L

DVE: 13 fl

VPM: 9,0 fl

Platelet: 120 unit x10^9/L

Differential:

Neutrophil: 1,74 x10^9/L

Lymphocyte‎: 1,42 x10^9/L

Monocyte: 0,17 x10^9/L

Eosinophil: 0,10 x10^9/L

Basophil: 0,03 x10^9/L

LUC: 0,09 x10^9/L

Routine:

Sodium: 139 umol/L

Potassium: 4,42 umol/L

Chloride: 101umol/L

Fasting glucose: 4,6 umol/L

Creatinine: 88 umol/L

IDMS-traceable creatinine: 73,1

Glomerular Filtration estimation: >=120 unit mL/min/l

ALT: 67 U/L

ALP: 102 U/L

Amylase: 43 U/L

Lipase: 90 U/L

Bilirubin: 13,9 umol/L

Proteins: 71 g/L

Albumin: 45 g/L

Albumin-globulin ratio: 1,73 g/L

Cardiovascular tests:

Total Cholesterol: 3,96 mmol/L

HDL-Cholesterol: 1,50 mmol/L

LDL-Cholesterol: 2,19 mmol/L

Cholesterol / HDL Ratio: 2,64 mmol/L

Triglyceride 0,58: mmol/L

Urinary Biochemistry:

Appearance: Clear

Color: Citrin

Density: 1,013 < 1,040

pH: 7,0

Protein Traces: Positive

Blood: Negative

Everything else is also negative

Microscopic Cell exam (400x):

White globules: 1,2

Red globules: 1-2

Mucus traces

Oh here is the interesting part, the lactose intolerance test

Administrated dose: 75g

Fasting glucose: 4,6mmol/L

Glucose 30 minutes later: 5,5 mmol/L

Glucose 1 hour later: 4,3 mmol/L

Glucose 2hour later 4,3 mmol/L

Vitamins and anemia test:

TSH: 1,38 mU/L

Vitamin B12: 654 pmol/L

Folic Acid: 24,9 nmol/L

Ferritin: 329 ug/L

Iron: 24,3 umol/L

CTFF: 49 umol/L

Saturation coefficient: 0,50

Transferrin‎: 1,96 g/L

So that's it if you guys can make anything out of these results and also it seem to me the white blood cells are a bit low.

Oh ya my vitamin B12 are Iron are in the top of the normality, not surprising I been having B12 vitamin from almond milk and supplements as well as iron form beef for a long time.

deals88 Rookie

Sanguine formula:

Differential:

Routine:

Cardiovascular tests:

Urinary Biochemistry:

Mucus traces

So that's it if you guys can make anything out of these results and also it seem to me the white blood cells are a bit low.

Oh ya my vitamin B12 are Iron are in the top of the normality, not surprising I been having B12 vitamin from almond milk and supplements as well as iron form beef for a long time.

Wow tats alot, il leave it to more qualifed members to answer that, i will just say i had low white blood cells aswell and iron which urs seems fine

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sanguine formula:

Differential:

Routine:

Cardiovascular tests:

Urinary Biochemistry:

Mucus traces

Can you edit this to give reference ranges from the lab? Different labs use different ranges Also your lactose test appears to be a glucose tolerance test rather than a lactose test.

jrohr Newbie

The thing is you guys think It could have been anxiety, as in I was having stress for who knows why, I wasn't having anxiety, I wasn't being in a panic attack, I did get anxiety before and this is how I can tell that how i was feeling in those very moment was NOT anxiety but you guys still suggested that how I was feeling was likely to be anxiety. Meaning that yes it is in my head to feel panicked for whatever reason but there is nothing wrong with my mind, yes i had a crap ton of stress out for so many things but no I wasn't in a state of panicking, i been managing my stress, I am not saying this to protect my ego, I am saying this because I know how I feel and how it feel to be panicked because again, i have been and know how it feels like and ths I can tell when I am not in this state.

My doctor has never mentioned the word dairy, she said LACTOSE intolerance and suggested lactose free milk and lactose free products, which I been doing already by having lactose free milk a FEW times since last week before that I had occasion milk at work and been on almond milk for MONTHS.

I will definitively go lactose,casein and whey free and see if this does anything, although I am sure it won't as everything I cut so far has done nothing to improve but there is nothing to lose from this at that point.

As far as my breathing, no it didn't kill me, doesn't make it any less be imaginating it.

It sounds like you have been posting on this site for a while. I have only read this string, so only  know your situation as posted here. 

I notice that many people with celiac and gluten intolerance also have other sensitivities.Symptoms can be very similar. I apologize if this has already been discussed.  As mentioned in an earlier post, it can still take weeks to months before cutting gluten out will find issue resolving. This is my experience as well. Some struggle with finding the other sensitivities they have. you can imagine if there are multiple sensitivities and an undefined time before they go away, and all the many ingredients in foods - well, its a challenge! Limiting your diet to a smaller number of foods, cutting out sources of common troublesome foods for a period of time to see if anything gets better, then reintroducing one at a time to find out if any cause problems is something that you could try. I understand that soy, corn, milk, eggs can cause problems, just as examples. Finding packaged or even baked foods with out these is a challenge.We went through this with my daughter. At the time we didn't know nearly what we do now and so we did not do it right the first time! I should mention that the sensitivities I am speaking of are not the same as allergies.

Another thing I have noticed is that while healing, it did help to cut down on carbohydrates. I don't know why. This is just another observation from my experience.

While the issues you are experiencing may have nothing to do with food, so many people on this forum can relate to your symptoms. It isn't easy to figure it all out. I hope that someone's thoughts or experiences shared here might help you.

Renegade Contributor

Yea I'll update with the range tonight, got pretty lazy at the end after writing it for an hour.

Archived