• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Apparently You Guys Were Right, It's All In My Head!

107 posts in this topic

CR5442    13

My glutening symptoms show up slowly over two days.  Firstly I feel tired and woozy after about an hour an a half, then insanely hungry for about a day, then very poorly with fever, flu symptoms for about 12 hours, then very poorly tummy and water retention, irritability, tiredness etc for about 3 weeks. Next time it might be different.  This was the first real glutening I've had in two years.  Clean home prepared food is by far the best for me!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

notme!    287

My glutening symptoms show up slowly over two days.  Firstly I feel tired and woozy after about an hour an a half, then insanely hungry for about a day, then very poorly with fever, flu symptoms for about 12 hours, then very poorly tummy and water retention, irritability, tiredness etc for about 3 weeks. Next time it might be different.  This was the first real glutening I've had in two years.  Clean home prepared food is by far the best for me!

right - *completely* different than any other reaction i/we have to other foods - when you stay/eat clean enough and are well for a good while, a glutening will be very easy to identify, am i right?  not D for a day, say, like when i eat something that irritates my guts or dairy which is gassy and uncomfortable.  it starts with a headache, b%$@#iness, tired tired tired for me and i'm all like o sh!t here it comes.  left side ribcage pain is a dead giveaway for me.  go directly to bed, do not pass the bathroom, do not collect 200 dollars.  see ya in 2 weeks :(  

it'll make you smarten up in a hurry - eating out 'just anywhere' and most packaged foods are off limits for me.  mleh - it's cheaper and easier to just make your meals yourself from 'plain foods' anyway.  i am blessed to be home at this time in my life.  i don't know how i worked all those years - i must have been a zombie.  and we won awards in my office!  so, i was good at it!  (haha maybe because i was so cranky all the time and my profession is on the edge of 'cut-throat" hahahaa)  i was always late, though.  one time, for two months my boss had to pick me up and bring me to work because i had vertigo so bad i couldn't drive at all.  felt like i was falling off the road and i had panic attacks.  i'm saying extra prayers right now for y'all who are trying to work a job while dealing with this all.  God bless you!  

answerseeker    15

right - *completely* different than any other reaction i/we have to other foods - when you stay/eat clean enough and are well for a good while, a glutening will be very easy to identify, am i right?  not D for a day, say, like when i eat something that irritates my guts or dairy which is gassy and uncomfortable.  it starts with a headache, b%$@#iness, tired tired tired for me and i'm all like o sh!t here it comes.  left side ribcage pain is a dead giveaway for me.  go directly to bed, do not pass the bathroom, do not collect 200 dollars.  see ya in 2 weeks :(

it'll make you smarten up in a hurry - eating out 'just anywhere' and most packaged foods are off limits for me.  mleh - it's cheaper and easier to just make your meals yourself from 'plain foods' anyway.  i am blessed to be home at this time in my life.  i don't know how i worked all those years - i must have been a zombie.  and we won awards in my office!  so, i was good at it!  (haha maybe because i was so cranky all the time and my profession is on the edge of 'cut-throat" hahahaa)  i was always late, though.  one time, for two months my boss had to pick me up and bring me to work because i had vertigo so bad i couldn't drive at all.  felt like i was falling off the road and i had panic attacks.  i'm saying extra prayers right now for y'all who are trying to work a job while dealing with this all.  God bless you!  

yes I really feel for the people that have to work. I couldn't even imagine trying to hold down a job feeling the way I have. I do homeschool and last year was bad. I barely made it through the day.

• Upvote 1

I just make a few fork holes in a potato and throw it in the microwave for 5 mins at a squeeze. Or pop a few in the oven at a time, then keep them in the fridge to heat up.

I have been at home with the kids a while, but a year gluten-free and I am volunteering 2 to 3 days a week and planning to retrain and work full time. Miracles can happen :)

w8in4dave    75

Yea I cannot imagine working and not knowing you have Celiac!! Unless you have a private bathroom!! Maby bring in your laptop and phone so you can work from the Toidy :) lol 

Seriously tho I feel eating a nice healthy meal is very important if you are Celiac. You are not absorbing your vitamins and minerals!! You really need to eat healthier. Take vitamins and Minerals Eat fresh healthy foods!! It is important!! Your body cannot function properly if it doesn't get what it needs. I am almost 4 months into it!! I feel better for sure!! But I know I am still not up to par!! Makes me wonder how I was dealing with it all be for ... Just eat healthy!! 

LisaRae28    0

The lactose intolerance is usually from prolonged periods of time not digesting foods with lactose in it. Your body stops producing the enzyme. The lactose intolerance from celiacs is from the tips of the villi breaking off when the intestine is damaged. So you're both right but it is an indication of celiac if removing lactose doesn't fix the problem. I've read a little on it but I *try* to limit my "crazy time" on google n even sites like these to a reasonable window of time nowadays cuz if I already feel like crap confusing myself with too much information is just gonna make it worse so I may be wrong (or most likely only have part of the picture lol)

I feel you need to pick at least 1 protein food and preferably more.  If you use meats you have not generally eaten before you shouldn't have built up intolerances to them.  I would add well cooked vegetables.  If you haven't tried Fennel bulb, there is one you don't have antibodies too.  If mango is new it would be a nice addition.  Don't forget some good varieties of fat such as olive oil, coconut oil, and butter if tolerated.  I would encourage you to consider rotational diet rather than limiting your diet so much.  Your body needs more than enough nutrients in order to heal.  Many of them won't be absorbed.  Are you on supplements?  Are you taking Digestive enzymes?

I recall some that were on a very limited diet that we haven't heard from in months.  Please try to keep as many foods as possible.

D