This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With Gerd/acid Reflux

kvanrens1

kvanrens1 Explorer

Our NCGI daughter has been gluten free since March 2012.  She is doing so well since going gluten-free.  She has gained weight, no more painful stomach aches, she is growing, and most importantly she feel fantastic.  She has been able to stop so many medications but we can't seem to get over the GERD/acid reflux that results in painful, loud burping.  She is on omnezeprole (spelling?).  I would love to get her off this one last medication.  Any tips?  It is such a puzzle to me because all her other GI issues have resolved since going gluten-free.

Thanks!

K

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Besides the gluten and dairy, have you been able to identify food intolerances?  She's probably not drinking coffee or alcohol, but what about tomatoes, spicy foods, citrus, garlic/onion family (I'm allergic to that one), fatty foods, and finally, chocolate.  This is the one food, besides gluten, that my husband (who's be gluten-free for 12 years) can't eat.  

A food journal and a possible four day rotational diet can be your best friend in helping to identifying food intolerances. 

Hope others provide some insight.  

Nea Newbie

I have found that going gluten free has NOT helped my acid reflux one little bit,  I must still take my omeprozole daily.   Since I was an adult already when I became gluten intolerant and already a bit over weight the Dr. keeps telling me that losing weight will help me.  I have been so sick for so long, losing weight was not at the top of my priority list.  Now that I am doing better I guess I will work on that and see if it helps.   I also hate taking that pill daily, but the problems that acid reflux can create are so far worse,  I take it.    The Dr. insists the pill is relatively benign and you can take it for years.   But it would sure be nice not to have to take it. 

Our NCGI daughter has been gluten free since March 2012.  She is doing so well since going gluten-free.  She has gained weight, no more painful stomach aches, she is growing, and most importantly she feel fantastic.  She has been able to stop so many medications but we can't seem to get over the GERD/acid reflux that results in painful, loud burping.  She is on omnezeprole (spelling?).  I would love to get her off this one last medication.  Any tips?  It is such a puzzle to me because all her other GI issues have resolved since going gluten-free.

Thanks!

K

shadowicewolf Proficient

Try a low fat, no acidic food, no grease, no caffeine diet. That helped me more than anything else.

kvanrens1 Explorer

Thanks everyone.  I will try some of the suggestions. 

eers03 Explorer

Too much soda? Regular orange juice in the morning instead of "low acid"?  Too much acidic fruit during the course of a day with other irritating foods?  Spices? Also, is she able to drink dairy products?  If she is, and it doesn't affect her adversely, having a small glass of milk occasionally with meals CAN help reduce the affects of spicier foods.  Also, don't forget about fatty foods....  They can cause this as well.  When is her last meal of the day?  If she is eating heavy late and then laying down, that can do work on the GI as well...

If she's eating three meals, maybe she wants to consider going smaller on the meal portions and heavier on the snacking portions in between...  Nuts can irritate the GI a little sometimes as well, if its all you eat in a sitting on top of a day of eating the same things I just mentioned...

On the flip side, does your daughter ever skip meals?  Does she wait TOO long to eat?  Does she skip breakfast?  These are all things that can leave your stomach prepared to eat with the proper digestive enzymes in place at certain times of the day and then no food to go to work on and then you end up with an acidic stomach.  Thats not good either...

Just thinking out loud...  I'm sure some of it doesn't apply but hopefully something will click and give you something to work with....

• 2 weeks later...
ravenra Rookie

Dyspepsia, major burping and feeling too full & uncomfortable after eating (even small amounts) are some of my major symptoms, which I've had for 12+ years.  Going gluten-free and dairy free did help a lot, but other food intolerances cause it too, such as peppers, onions, garlic, and too much sugar - including natural fruit sugars. Of course carbonated beverages, beer and wine make me belch a lot also, but that seems 'more' normal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kvanrens1 Explorer

We don't drink sodas and rarely give her orange juice because of the acid reflux.  She does not like spicy foods so that is not a culprit.  I do feel it is probably another food intolerance.  She eats lots of lactose free cheese - wonder if it could be casein?   She could also eat her weight in fruit.  Fructose could be another consideration.  She has had to give up so many of the foods she loves, I would hate for her to have to give up cheese and/or fruit.
She is underweight (50 lbs at age 10) and it is already a challenge to feed her with the gluten free and lactose free diet.    

Archived