This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Eaten Domino's Gluten-Free Pizza Recently?

Veghead1234

Veghead1234 Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dominoe's gluten-free pizza recently and if they got sick? Their menu has a bunch of disclaimers about cross contamination, so it makes me wonder if they just don't try. I'm not sure why you'd offer a gluten-free pizza if celiacs can't eat it (do they think it's trendy?), so maybe the disclaimer is just something the lawyers made them do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

You're right.  While we benefit from the gluten-free diet fad (lots of products), there are some downsides too (not taken seriously for example).  

All that wheat flour, spoons gliding over dough and being put back into the pizza sauce......I'm not convinced.  So, when my extended family orders in pizza, we pull out our frozen Udi's pizza from the freezer.  I make the salad and we all eat together.  Everyone gets pizza!  

1desperateladysaved Proficient

SUPER -Sensitive viewpoint which some may not share.

I believe they do not worry about cross contamination at all.  They don't put use wheat flour in their gluten free pizza recipe.  I believe that is all it means.  I think a pizza place is a place where flour is everywhere. Flour is in the air and on the work tables,  I would never eat there, but personally I have been banned by my doctor from eating outside of my own home. .

I make pizza at home with:

Nut crust

Mango sauce

Eggs and bacon topping.

bartfull Rising Star

There ARE some pizza places that do gluten-free right, but Domino's is not one of them. The gluten-free pizza place near me has a family member with celiac so they know about CC. They make their gluten-free pizza in a seperate room using seperate pans, utensils and sauce from a seperate pot.

The Udi's frozen pizza is good. Against the Grain makes a totally grain-free frozen pizza and that's what I buy. It's very good. I buy the cheese pizza and add my own gluten-free sausage. YUMMY!

Adalaide Mentor

Domino's does not do gluten free right, some do. That said, they also don't have flour in their stores. The CC is because they use entirely shared surfaces and toppings from the same bins for everything. The crust arrives gluten free, and from there stops because of handling. I've read the "celiacs shouldn't eat this" disclaimer on their website and would never consider eating it. I have a friend who eats it and is constantly sick still years after her diagnosis. She doesn't make good choices and will probably never be well and will eventually end up with addition AI issues or cancer because of it.

Veghead1234 Apprentice

Desperatelady, your doc told you you could never eat out of your home? That's awfully harsh. Does that mean you can never take a vacation? Have dinner with at a friend's house? Traveling must be really difficult/impossible. Not to mention all the work of cooking every meal yourself. That seems like an impossible directive to follow.

bartfull Rising Star

Eating nothing that you didn't make yourself is a bit of a pain, but it's not that bad. When traveling, bring an electric skillet or a George Foreman grill. Most motel rooms have fridges and microwaves so it is easy to shop at a grocery or health food store in whatever town you're in and do your own cooking. And it's easy to eat at a friend's house. Just bring the food yourself! Friendship is about being together, not about food. I visit friends often and they all understand why I bring my own food. Enjoying each other's company is what it's all about.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Desperatelady, your doc told you you could never eat out of your home? That's awfully harsh. Does that mean you can never take a vacation? Have dinner with at a friend's house? Traveling must be really difficult/impossible. Not to mention all the work of cooking every meal yourself. That seems like an impossible directive to follow.

I now have an oven in my car. We do not allow gluten in the car anymore.  I take an electric skillet to hotels and cook (where hopefully nobody else does) after carefully wiping  off the table surfaces.  . 

I  have developed a way to keep my food hot for (so far) up to 4 1/2 hours. My sweet potato was done to soft perfection after Tuesday's soccer game. It is difficult at family get togethers, but I will just have to eat on the way and talk while they eat.  Although It is sometimes difficult, it is necessary for me for NOW.  Hopefully, nobody else needs to follow this.  My doctors are hopeful that my body may settle down a bit in time.

One more thing, I am not sure that celiac is the only cause to the reactions I have.  They may not be a celiac symptom, but something else.  I can't say what, because I honestly don't know.

I guess when since I have 2 DQ2 and 2Dq8 genes and have undiagnosed celiac for 30 years, unusual means may be  necessary,  Hey, I am glad to be alive and so Much Better!  I wouldn't want to take chances.  I do not have to cook every meal as I have 8 family members in the house and many take turns at making meals.  One thing I fear is a hospital stay, so I am working on an early release and at home care.  Hopefully, it won't be needed.   

I have had reactions while trying to heat my own food in someone else's kitchen and that is the reason for the doctor's directive.  I haven't heard of anyone on the forum with such a directive for celiac.  Don't anyone worry too much.

D

Waladsameen Newbie

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dominoe's gluten-free pizza recently and if they got sick? Their menu has a bunch of disclaimers about cross contamination, so it makes me wonder if they just don't try. I'm not sure why you'd offer a gluten-free pizza if celiacs can't eat it (do they think it's trendy?), so maybe the disclaimer is just something the lawyers made them do?

HMM, after reading the title; the first thing crossing my mind would concern cross cantamination. I believe a big chain like Dominos having a true gluten-free menu is unpopular or "unmarketable"? I am not sure you would even want to consider eating there just for the fact they work aroung the pizza dough all day. This looks like a hit and miss for Dominos! I am a recent gluten-free member and I LOVE PIZZA. Now I have to consider eating a frozen $5 gluten-free pizza that is the size of an orange. LOL Eh, whatever. We can and have to adapt. Would you be able to shop around to see options for a frozen pizza?? I live in southern california and there is Wholefoods here. I would imagine there would be A TON of gluten-free replacemts for regular food. Do you have a specialty store like that?Maybe you can pick up a pizza there? Good luck!

shadowicewolf Proficient

HMM, after reading the title; the first thing crossing my mind would concern cross cantamination. I believe a big chain like Dominos having a true gluten-free menu is unpopular or "unmarketable"? I am not sure you would even want to consider eating there just for the fact they work aroung the pizza dough all day. This looks like a hit and miss for Dominos! I am a recent gluten-free member and I LOVE PIZZA. Now I have to consider eating a frozen $5 gluten-free pizza that is the size of an orange. LOL Eh, whatever. We can and have to adapt. Would you be able to shop around to see options for a frozen pizza?? I live in southern california and there is Wholefoods here. I would imagine there would be A TON of gluten-free replacemts for regular food. Do you have a specialty store like that?Maybe you can pick up a pizza there? Good luck!

Or you could just make a pizza....

w8in4dave Community Regular

The Domino's here quit making their gluten-free pizza , good thing I would of been tempted when I was 1st dx'd , then I would of been really confused because I would of been glutened! Gluten diet is trendy!! For some!! Not for me!! I could of never gone on this diet if I was not Celiac.

Waladsameen Newbie

Or you could just make a pizza....

Ha, or that too lol!!! You are a straight foward!

lpellegr Collaborator

Slightly tangential to the original topic, but you can make surprisingly good individual pizzas using frozen hash brown patties as "crust".  Bake as directed until crisp, then top and heat until the toppings are done.  You might need a fork to eat them, but it works.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Slightly tangential to the original topic, but you can make surprisingly good individual pizzas using frozen hash brown patties as "crust".  Bake as directed until crisp, then top and heat until the toppings are done.  You might need a fork to eat them, but it works.

I have always used a fork to eat pizza anyway!! :) what a great idea!! Yummm!! 

LauraTX Rising Star

I have no intention of ever trying the domino's gluten-free pizza.  I think it is insulting to people with food allergies to offer a false happiness-inducing offer, haha.  I HAVE had relatives and friends say "Oh we will just order you a gluten free pizza from dominos is that okay?"  

And I am like:

"NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............!!!!!"

Just like that, hehe.  There are a few sit down places I can get pizza in Fort Worth but no delivery.  Amys frozen gluten-free pizza is okay in a pinch, add your own toppings.  Sometimes I will let my husband order dominos whatever he wants and I will make my own pizza with tons of stuff he dislikes on it, and we are both happy.  I have tried Bobs red mill crust mix, pillsbury refrigerated dough, gluten-free bisquick made into a pan crust, Udis crusts, and liked them all.  Contes crust was okay but had an odd texture.  I tried one little personal sized glutino pizza and was gravely dissapointed.  :(  I used to eat dominos at least one night a week before my celiac diagnosis, so I guess the good thing is that is calories I am no longer consuming. 

• 2 years later...
Ksue Newbie

I have tried Dominos gluten free cheese pizza twice. The first time I had a small stomach ache which led to sleepiness, which led to a nap and acne breakout. All signs of gluten contamination for me!

I attempted the pizza for a second time, just to see if it was a fluke. Nope! 

If you are highly sensitive to gluten, do not order Dominos Pizza.

Edited by Ksue
spelling
cyclinglady Grand Master
15 minutes ago, Ksue said:

I have tried Dominos gluten free cheese pizza twice. The first time I had a small stomach ache which led to sleepiness, which led to a nap and acne breakout. All signs of gluten contamination for me!

Sorry, you had to find out the hard way!  Thanks for reporting this.  It may help someone else!  Feel better soon! 

• 4 weeks later...
Neko-Quinn Newbie
On 3/19/2016 at 8:05 PM, Ksue said:

I second this! I found out about their pizza right before my doctor told me I have celiac, and I, too, made the mistake of ordering it. Misery ensued. I didn't feel right for days. Never doing this again. Darn them for getting my hopes up!

• 6 months later...
Kerz Newbie

I have a friend who works at dominoes and I have watched my pizzas being made. I can assure you that they take every precaution to make sure their pizzas are gluten free. The gluten free dough is pre made in an environment free from gluten. They use separate ovens and pizza pans to bake them and don't use a pizza cutter as they only have a few. I also noticed that they wash their hands constantly. They also wear gloves when handling normal dough so the chances of cc are very low. I made sure to ask my friend everything I could as I have celiac and can be sick for days. All the staff know to be careful with my order. My friend has also worked in a few of the stores so he usually prepares mine if he's in even though he's a driver. If you feel wary about it though I would just avoid it. I have personally never had a problem with it and have been gluten free since April and have a dominos every two weeks. I hope this info helps anyone who has doubts though :)

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Kerz said:

I have a friend who works at dominoes and I have watched my pizzas being made. I can assure you that they take every precaution to make sure their pizzas are gluten free. The gluten free dough is pre made in an environment free from gluten. They use separate ovens and pizza pans to bake them and don't use a pizza cutter as they only have a few. I also noticed that they wash their hands constantly. They also wear gloves when handling normal dough so the chances of cc are very low. I made sure to ask my friend everything I could as I have celiac and can be sick for days. All the staff know to be careful with my order. My friend has also worked in a few of the stores so he usually prepares mine if he's in even though he's a driver. If you feel wary about it though I would just avoid it. I have personally never had a problem with it and have been gluten free since April and have a dominos every two weeks. I hope this info helps anyone who has doubts though :)

Maybe they are careful because its your friend?  Or you were watching?  I have heard some Dominos are better than other at gluten-free.  Do they use fresh, non- contaminated cheese, sauce, toppings?  I worked in a pizza place and usually you touch the dough, then use a ladle for sauce that usually  touches the pizza to spread the sauce and then use the same hands (gloved or not) in the cheese and to  grab toppings.  This transfers flour/crust dough into the sauce, cheese,  etc

Ennis-TX Grand Master

...I developed my own crust from 2 other recipes using cauliflower, almond meal, and almond cheese as a base. The consistency is like that of a artisan pizza shop, the dough very gooy and dough like due to the cheese in it. You have ti eat it with a fork but I found it very indulging to make on occasion.

Pizza Crust /Pizza Recipe
1 medium head cauliflower
2 tbsp coconut oil divided
1 egg (Flax Egg will work here)
dash of salt
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
pinch of red pepper
1/2 cup fine shredded(2oz) vegan cheese (Lisanatti Mozzarella Almond Cheese is what I used)
2 tbsp almond meal
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

1.Preheat oven to 450, WITH a cooking sheet or pizza stone in it.
2.prep parchment paper rub 1 Tbsp coconut oil all over it
3.Cut the cauliflower into florets, removing the core.
4.In batches in a food processor with a grating blade, grate the cauliflower into a rice like texture. (This can also be done with a hand grater finer the grate the better the crust)
5. Put 1 inch of water in a sauce pan and put the grated cauliflower in it and bring to a boil on high then turn to low and cover stirring occasionally for 10-15mins The cauliflower will be soft when done, drain into a clean towel or cheese cloth and press all the water out when cool enough (this makes sure it is firm and not crumbly when done)
6.In a large bowl beat the egg well.
7.Add the cauliflower rice, 1tbsp coconut oil, salt, pepper, basil, nutritional yeast, almond meal, oregano, red pepper, and vegan cheese. Mix well.
8.Shape mixture in a large circle on the parchment paper, and place the paper with the dough on the sheet/stone.
9.Bake for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.
10. Add your toppings and cook another 5-7mins then remove parchment with pizza from sheet and let cool 5-10mins so it firms up.

• 6 months later...
plumbago Experienced

To the question - why does Dominos even bother? I would answer - to cash in on the trend of gluten free. As we all know, there are many who do not have any diagnosed sensitivity who are eating gluten free. My own feeling (and it's just an opinion) is that the gluten-free pizzas are for them.

Mellow Mushroom makes a good gluten-free pizza - expensive but good.

Feeneyja Collaborator

We make Meatzza!  The "Crust" is ground beef. Seasoned ground beef, pressed flat and baked about 30 minutes. Drain grease then add sauce, cheese, toppings. Tastes terrific. Totally holds together and completely grain free!  Also freezes and reheats well. 

Better than almond flour Crust. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Feeneyja said:

We make Meatzza!  The "Crust" is ground beef. Seasoned ground beef, pressed flat and baked about 30 minutes. Drain grease then add sauce, cheese, toppings. Tastes terrific. Totally holds together and completely grain free!  Also freezes and reheats well. 

Better than almond flour Crust. 

Did you know there is a commercial company that sells frozen pizzas made with chicken breast and Parmesan for the crust?

https://realgoodfoods.com/product/mixedcases/

Feeneyja Collaborator
19 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Did you know there is a commercial company that sells frozen pizzas made with chicken breast and Parmesan for the crust?

https://realgoodfoods.com/product/mixedcases/

Really?  Do you have a name?  I would love a frozen "pizza" we can have right now (FYI, we are grain free because gluten seems to have messed up my daughter's digestion sufficiently so she has to stay on top of chronic SIBO). 

Edit:  Oops. Just saw the link!  Thank you!!