This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Having Problems At Work?

jhol

jhol Enthusiast

hi,

didnt know where to put this thread- so hope its in the right one!.

im having big problems at work. disciplinary,s because im not " performing"

the thing is out of all the testing ive had done everything has been negative. not celiac, no allergies, no lupus. im at the end of my tether , what can i say to that?. ive got no comeback as to why i cant think straight and my heads in a mess.

the only thing thats been found is vitamin b12 deficiency - level was 138. im stressed out enough without all this added stress.

has anyone else had this problem, if so how have you dealt with it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BelleVie Enthusiast

Yes. I have not been called out directly (yet) but I can tell that my employers are getting frustrated with my less than stellar performance some days. I just keep getting hit by something, so I'll have one GREAT day, and then one so/so, and then two or three where I'm walking through molasses tired, or I have a migraine, or I'm extremely down and emotional. 

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. One of the greatest difficulties I've had as I've become a "grown up" (heh, I'm 25, so I only count partially thus far)  :D is having to force my body to do something (like going in to work) when I'm physically ill. It's terrible, and it's something that I really struggle with in our society. I think that if you are ill...you should be permitted to heal. :( 

How open is your employer to your explanations concerning your health? You don't have to be diagnosed for gluten to be making you really sick. You could be NCGI. Could you share some information about that with your employer? Are there little short cuts that you can take to make your workload easier on yourself? I think it was IrishHeart who wrote that when she gets glutened, she makes lists of things she needs to do, which help to create focus while in the grip of a foggy brain. 

I hope you find a solution soon, and that your employer is understanding. 

jhol Enthusiast

thanks for your reply

my employer is absolutely not understanding. i go in for the results of the disciplinary on friday. i do have the union to help and ive got an appointment with the doc,s. i was thinking of asking her if she could write a letter explaining whats going on. not sure if it would help though  :mellow:

Chrisz1000 Newbie

My employer is more understanding than yours, but yes I have experienced the same thing whilst at work; the fatigue, the inability to think straight, unable to make conversation and an overwhelming feeling of not wanting to do much. This is on top of good old STRESS.

I too have tested negative on all of the tests, left it too late to do a gluten challenge for biopsy so I will never know whether I am full blown celiac or a NGCI sufferer. So I couldn't say I have xyz disease so treat me accordingly.

What I did do though, was explain to my employer how I USED to be before I got ill. And I described to them the effect of what is happening to me NOW. I described the challenges that the medical community has in diagnosing this thing and that, if I really wanted to do a Gluten Challenge, it would mean at least 6 weeks off work extremely ill. They took it seriously thankfully, I was in my 6 month probation period so I would have been screwed if they didn't take it seriously.  

5 months later and I am much better, and my employer has seen the improvment. I too had B12 deficiency, I tackled that one with Lacto-Free milk (full of natural, liquid B12) and digestive enzymes.  in time, you will pull through. Hope you can win them round. Maybe get your Doc to write a letter.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do get some sublingual B12 as that will help bring those levels up and help with the fatigue as well as your nervous system. I found it helpful even before diagnosis.

My last job was hell on earth for me as far as Celiac goes. I wasn't allowed to use a rest room if there was anyone in the store despite the fact that there were two others registars and no reason why a manager couldn't hop on one to check someone out if I was the only cashier on duty. I was told the main office wouldn't allow it. I suspect it was more they were too lazy to count it in. One manager even walked up to customers one day and asked how long they would be shopping because I needed to use a rest room. Extremely embarrassing. My solution was quietly start looking to find another job. Wasn't easy but I now have a job where my health issues are easier to deal with.  Should I have reported them to OSHA, probably but I was just glad to be out of there.

eers03 Explorer

Yes but it's not gluten related.  In fact, I don't know which is better for my health, my manager or wheat bread. Ha!

shakay Newbie

I'm having this problem. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 3 months ago and I'm not feeling any better. I work a very physical job and struggle to get through each day because of fatigue and joint and muscle pain I asked today if I could use 2 of my vacation days next week and they said no.I've been in tears all day and still am because I do so much around there and the one time I ask for something they tell me no.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived