This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free Beer

newcoeliac13

newcoeliac13 Newbie

Hello forum,

Can anyone reccomend any good gluten-free beers. The ones I've tried so far have been horrible.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nicolebeth Apprentice

St. Peters sorghum beer was quite good, I thought (and I normally like Guinness, which couldn't taste more different). But, the Beer Advocate apparently thinks it's very poor: Open Original Shared Link

howlnmad Newbie

Anheuser-Busch makes a sorghom beer called Redbridge that my wife didn't think was to bad. Then she tried the Bards and likes that even better. Click on the Bards ad on this forum and see if they sell any locally. We've been working with a local store to stock it for her.

nvsmom Community Regular

Green's is pretty good - like a well done home brew.

Beware of gluten-free beers started form barley like Daura, they still get people.

notme Experienced

i am currently (right NOW!) drinking a new one to me called "new grist" it's a pilsner - has a very pleasant aftertaste and actually pretty smooth   :) now, if i'm not deathly ill in 2 days, i will declare it good  <_<

edited to add:  see what i did there ;)  lolz

w8in4dave Community Regular

Have you heard of this? They say it is the best

1. Brunehaut Bio Blonde
Style: Belgian Tripel
City: Brunehaut, Belgium
ABV: 5%
Key Ingredients: Barley (with gluten-extracted)
% Like Beer: 100%
For Fans Of: Maredsous 8
The verdict: Not just a great gluten-free beer but a great beer, Brunehaut’s Blonde is a well-balanced Tripel and a wonderful step forward in the world of gluten-free beer. Starting with barley and extracting gluten from it seems to be the best way to go.

They go from worst to best in this list 

Open Original Shared Link

notme Experienced

yah.  no.  i'm not touching anything with barley in it.  they can say it's extracted or whatever - it's still barley and barley hates me!  lolz

i tend to go with things i can actually find out here in the woods.  i'm currently pulling major strings to get me a supply of bards, because hardly anybody carries it unless you go clear to knoxville (which i did yesterday and they were OUT lolz - my only hope is my guy bought ALL of it and it's waiting for me at my local shop - go big or go home....)  anyways, that's why i got the new grist.  ingredients listed as such:

"made ONLY with sorghum and rice extract, yeast, water and hops"  <no oxford comma so i'm assuming the water and hops were together)  ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

"made ONLY with sorghum and rice extract, yeast, water and hops"  <no oxford comma so i'm assuming the water and hops were together)   ;)

Ohhhhh, I wondered what an "oxford comma" was.... yep, I'm a geek.

w8in4dave Community Regular

yah.  no.  i'm not touching anything with barley in it.  they can say it's extracted or whatever - it's still barley and barley hates me!  lolz

i tend to go with things i can actually find out here in the woods.  i'm currently pulling major strings to get me a supply of bards, because hardly anybody carries it unless you go clear to knoxville (which i did yesterday and they were OUT lolz - my only hope is my guy bought ALL of it and it's waiting for me at my local shop - go big or go home....)  anyways, that's why i got the new grist.  ingredients listed as such:

"made ONLY with sorghum and rice extract, yeast, water and hops"  <no oxford comma so i'm assuming the water and hops were together)   ;)

I def understand that!! I also read where they are under strict rules with the 20 PPM of Gluten. But yea who would attempt that. But not all were the ones made with Barley. I actually had a Apple beer not to long ago and it was pretty good. Altho my daughter told me "be careful mom ,with all that apple" lol So I only had one. :) It was good tho ..

IrishHeart Veteran

The barley-extracted beers cause symptoms in many people and are best avoided.

"For example,  Open Original Shared Link, is made in Portland. It’s light in body, golden-colored and clean tasting with a bit of hops coming through. With the slogan “It isn’t just what we took out, it’s what we left in,” this lager is brewed with malted barley so is technically not gluten-free. The brewer says on its website that it “developed a proprietary process to remove the gluten.” However, it says it is not allowed to say “gluten-free” outside of Oregon because of federal regulations. The beer is tested for gluten using a somewhat controversial “R5 Competitive ELISA test” – the acronym meaning Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay. (Open Original Shared Link offers extensive medical explanations on the subject

Colorado’s Open Original Shared Link offers pale, amber, blonde, raspberry and Belgian ales. The blonde - made from sorghum and corn extract – includes orange peel that yields a slight tartness. ( FWIW, I thought this one was very good, but I do not drink much beer. The hubs  really liked it,

although he thinks GREEN"S is better.)

- Delaware’s Open Original Shared Link – known for its high-alcohol brews – started making T’weason’ale last year.

- Vermont’s The Alchemist – where the brewer’s wife was diagnosed with celiac disease 

- Wisconsin’s Open Original Shared Link makes a Shakparo using African grains.

- Anheuser-Busch makes Open Original Shared Link, made from sorghum.

Portland’s Open Original Shared Link says it is a dedicated gluten-free brewery and is producing a handful of ales.

Article found here:

Open Original Shared Link

Kate79 Apprentice

Harvester is completely gluten free (they've been certified, I think) and by far the tastiest gluten free beer option.  I visited there when I was in Portland last year.  They use certified gluten free oats in some of the beers, so that's something to be aware of for people who have oat issues.  Unfortunately, they're pretty new, so their beer is only available in Oregon and sometimes in Washington - they offer shipping to many states, too, but that gets pricey.

Of the widely available gluten free beers, New Planet and Green's are the best.  The one from Alchemist is really good, too - but I've only seen it in the northeast.  Reminded me a lot of Blue Moon.

newcoeliac13 Newbie

Thanks for all the fantastic recommendations, I can't wait to try and locate some of these

Archived