This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fellow Homeschoolers Sign In!

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Greetings,

I have been home schooling for 22 years.  I am glad I made the decision to start when my oldest daughter turned 3.  We just thought to start and see what happened.  Now, we have graduates doing well in college.

.  I know one can teach homeschool from the couch as I did just that some years.  I am glad that I sat at the table last year, or walked around the room.

I hoped to say something wonderfully encouraging, but just now I am quiet.  So, just hi and fare well!

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think about this from time to time.  I have heard about homeschooling textbook series.  Do you use one?

I think about this from time to time.  I have heard about homeschooling textbook series.  Do you use one?

I have used Abeka book, Apologia, textbooks bought from garage sales or Amazon.  There are online science and other courses by Greg Landry.  He also has workshops in various cities on science, writing, and many others.  One can borrow books that the public school system isn't using.  I haven't done that, but I know it is possible.  The library has many resources including videos  .  There are many things out there, the hard part is deciding which ones you want to do the most.  .

I also like to get my children schooled in the morning and have them play outside in the afternoon. 

D

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm hs'ing my three boys (grades 1,4,6) and have since the beginning. It's been a really good experience for us so far. We started because my oldest was very bright and did not have much interest in learning something that wasn't an interest of his. for instance, we had the freedm to study ancient Greece and Rome while other kids were studying "Our Comminity" or the province.  The freedom to study an interest is really helpful.

We're also in it to keep our kids more family oriented rather than peer oriented, and so far so good.... I'll know if we've truly been successful after the teenaged years.

We don't use many texts but we do like Singapor Math, Life of Fred, and Miquon Math. Story of the World is a good resource too. My kids use Rosetta Stone for learning German and Japanese. Cathy Duffy's book 101 Top Homeschool Picks (I think) goes through some of the more popular texts and resources

shadowicewolf Proficient

what about those who where homeschooled? lol

what about those who where homeschooled? lol

Do you qualify?

That would be great!

I keep forgetting that the children eventually graduate even though I have several graduates by now! 

shadowicewolf Proficient

Do you qualify?

That would be great!

I keep forgetting that the children eventually graduate even though I have several graduates by now! 

Yep

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

We are doing public school on-line.  We switched from connections academy to lincoln interactive programs.  Connections academy set up was awesome!  lincoln interactive has had a lot of snags in the system for our first day.  YUCK  I am in such a foul mood I feel like punching like a computer right now.

We made this decision because of health issues beyond Celiac.  The local school district is not (in my opinion) worth the cross contamination risk for the restricted diet.  (Who wants to have the added socialization of being known as the kid who pukes a lot and gets hospitalized for dehydration?  Making up missed homework stacks without having the benefit of teacher's lecture/instructions is really frustrating.  Kids at the middle school have been busted with drugs and having sex at school. ~That's at 12 years old in middle school)

One of my favorite questions about "homeschooling", "Aren't you afraid of lacking social skills?"

luvs2eat Collaborator

I hate home schooling!  Well, what I really hated is that women who were teachers would stay at home to raise their kids (70s, 80s) and home school them instead of teaching MY kids in school. Back then, it seemed to be more teachers choosing to teach at home rather than anyone... like the 13-year-old boy I tutored in reading whose parents worked and he knew NONE of his multiplication tables (he couldn't calculate his Scrabble score... and awesome teaching game). I asked who exactly was teaching him and what were they teaching? He sort of hemmed and hawed. Standards that must be met and reported?? I live in pretty rural Arkansas.

I guess it also upset me when I met a home schooler who said that she didn't want her kids to go to public school and read things like "Heather has two mommies." I know people have every right to do that but it just makes me sad.

My kids weren't celiac until adulthood, so the food issue wasn't an issue. I can sure see how it becomes one when navigating elementary/high school.

I'm hs'ing my three boys (grades 1,4,6) and have since the beginning. It's been a really good experience for us so far. We started because my oldest was very bright and did not have much interest in learning something that wasn't an interest of his. for instance, we had the freedm to study ancient Greece and Rome while other kids were studying "Our Comminity" or the province.  The freedom to study an interest is really helpful.

We're also in it to keep our kids more family oriented rather than peer oriented, and so far so good.... I'll know if we've truly been successful after the teenaged years.

We don't use many texts but we do like Singapor Math, Life of Fred, and Miquon Math. Story of the World is a good resource too. My kids use Rosetta Stone for learning German and Japanese. Cathy Duffy's book 101 Top Homeschool Picks (I think) goes through some of the more popular texts and resources

Yeah, I am enjoying having my children at home.  I don't have to be just a housekeeper.  It is a constant challenge staying ahead of my children.  One can cater to their own interests.  When they get excited about their school work, we keep learning.  One daughter has been begging me the last 3 weeks to start school.  Finally, we are started.

We are doing public school on-line.  We switched from connections academy to lincoln interactive programs.  Connections academy set up was awesome!  lincoln interactive has had a lot of snags in the system for our first day.  YUCK  I am in such a foul mood I feel like punching like a computer right now.

We made this decision because of health issues beyond Celiac.  The local school district is not (in my opinion) worth the cross contamination risk for the restricted diet.  (Who wants to have the added socialization of being known as the kid who pukes a lot and gets hospitalized for dehydration?  Making up missed homework stacks without having the benefit of teacher's lecture/instructions is really frustrating.  Kids at the middle school have been busted with drugs and having sex at school. ~That's at 12 years old in middle school)

One of my favorite questions about "homeschooling", "Aren't you afraid of lacking social skills?"

I nearly mentioned public school internet as an option for curriculum.  I have friends doing that. Hopefully, you still get to have your children with you and you with them!

I didn't know people still asked that one about social skills.  I always say that I am a product of public school and don't do well in social situations.  Just give me a keyboard, please!

nvsmom Community Regular

I hate home schooling!  Well, what I really hated is that women who were teachers would stay at home to raise their kids (70s, 80s) and home school them instead of teaching MY kids in school. Back then, it seemed to be more teachers choosing to teach at home rather than anyone... like the 13-year-old boy I tutored in reading whose parents worked and he knew NONE of his multiplication tables (he couldn't calculate his Scrabble score... and awesome teaching game). I asked who exactly was teaching him and what were they teaching? He sort of hemmed and hawed. Standards that must be met and reported?? I live in pretty rural Arkansas.

:ph34r: I was a science/physics/math teacher and left teaching for my family....

One of my favourite things about hs'ing is the thing you don't like: we can teach to their strengths and do catch up in other subjects. For instance, my oldest is a whiz in math and is a grade or two ahead where his peers were yet he was behind in reading. I didn't push reading but kept encouraging and finding topics of interest to look at and got him graphic novels. Just a couple of weeks ago, on his own, he started a 400 page novel - his first novel. He is 10 and now he about on track with his peers again.  learning isn't linear.

We don't have to meet the province's standard if we don't want to (up here). In social studies this year (grade 4) it is the study of our province (heck, we cover that on vacation) but that is mostly a yawner so we'll study some ancient history and do some military history too... something they are interested in.

Yes, there are lazy homeschool parents and some others with very conservative beliefs, but I would say (just like in public school, that it is not the majority.

Lock Newbie

I home schooled my youngest the last 2 1/2 years of high school. We pulled her out of school in the middle of 10th grade. Best decision we ever made.

Great!

D

• 2 weeks later...
Pastafarian Newbie

@1deparateladysaved  This is a very interesting #homeschooling thread.   I'm a former teacher #motivational prodigy who used to  support  parents who were home-schooling their children. This  was back in the 1990's when it was not widely practiced or accepted mainly because of the @mommida socialization issues.  This particular family I really became attached to....but lost touch when I started my own family.  Some years later i drove by their house and found a FOR SALE sign out front. Needless to say....I purchased the house because of the fond memories of them. Retired from teaching I now have a tutoring service in the same building.   @nvsmon  Singapore Math will definitely give students a competitive edge @luvs2eat you are right ,Scrabble the game that increases word attack and word recognition skills has taken a back seat to #computer & #mobile apps. 

@1deparateladysaved  This is a very interesting #homeschooling thread.   I'm a former teacher #motivational prodigy who used to  support  parents who were home-schooling their children. This  was back in the 1990's when it was not widely practiced or accepted mainly because of the @mommida socialization issues.  This particular family I really became attached to....but lost touch when I started my own family.  Some years later i drove by their house and found a FOR SALE sign out front. Needless to say....I purchased the house because of the fond memories of them. Retired from teaching I now have a tutoring service in the same building.   @nvsmon  Singapore Math will definitely give students a competitive edge @luvs2eat you are right ,Scrabble the game that increases word attack and word recognition skills has taken a back seat to #computer & #mobile apps. 

I always found that teachers were always the most supportive of our homeschooling.  They were great when our extended family didn't quite see it our way.  My mother-in-law learned to enjoy it when she came to help daily for a few months years ago.  I am glad we stuck with it.  I enjoyed being the teacher and mother and watching my children closely as they grew up.  Now, the eldest are out performing me in their college pursuits.  The youngest (adopted from Ethiopia when 6 and 8) have changed languages and excelled or matched their peers!  They are enjoying it besides.

D

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

Just started homeschooling my oldest son this year. We're using Time4learning for math and language arts and so far he seems to enjoy it.  Having a hard finding a science curriculum we like. Does anyone have one to recommend for a 5th grader?

We are enjoying Apologia Science.  We have used high school biology and Physics.  One son passed a clep test using only the Apologia science book to study for it. 

This year I am trying and enjoying the science books for elementary age children.  We are studying the human body and I am really enjoying that.  They have other science books for elementary age which I have heard well spoken of, but have almost no personal experience.  Are you in a home school group, or do you know of a curriculum fair where you could view science books?  Other than that it is possible to buy them used over the internet.

I hope you will enjoy watching your boy learn!

D

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

Apologia? I will have to check that out. Thanks!

I am finding there is a very active homeschooling community here and a local co-op forming. Very exciting! 

Archived