This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

"are You Still On That Bogus Diet?"

eers03

eers03 Explorer

Someone asked me that at church the other day.  I'm Celiac.  I was so ticked at the comment that I had to "Bro" the guy up...  My response...  "Bro, I will be on this diet the rest of my life.  What I have, doesn't just go away.  My diet is not a 90 day script from a nurse practitioner at a doc in the box clinic."  

Anyway, I know I'm not the first to experience this.  It didn't ruin my day.  I don't feel like a victim.  It just blows my mind that even when you explain this to someone, you may as well speak a foreign language to them and it would be as effective.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

"My disease can't be cured, but there ARE cures for ignorance and rudeness. Why don't you look into them?" That would be my reply to this jerk. :angry:

eers03 Explorer

"My disease can't be cured, but there ARE cures for ignorance and rudeness. Why don't you look into them?" That would be my reply to this jerk. :angry:

That is legit!!!!

notme Experienced

Anyway, I know I'm not the first to experience this.  It didn't ruin my day.  I don't feel like a victim.  It just blows my mind that even when you explain this to someone, you may as well speak a foreign language to them and it would be as effective.

i know it - if their aunt sadie never had it, they don't even pay attention.  even if aunt sadie had it, she didn't follow the diet, so they think "aunt sadie was never that careful - once she felt better, she ate cake!"  and they think it's overkill.  right - it doesn't ruin your day.   lolz - 'bro him up' - i will pay attention next time someone 'bro's" ;)  i sing the for ever song:  "i will be on this diet for ever and ever and ever and ever (deep breath) and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever (another deep breath) and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever <continues on.  you get my point.  they usually run away after that.  hey, barty, write me some tabs lolz  :D

bartfull Rising Star

Verse:

G

I'll be on this diet forever and ever and

D

ever and ever and

G

ever and ever. I'll be on this diet forever and ever for

C

ever so

D

what's it to

G

you?

Chorus:

C

I have a disease that can

Em

never be cured but I

Am

handle it

D

well with my

G       G7

diet        it's

Am

none of your

B7

business so

Em

don't say a word

A7

I might slap your face if you

D       D7

try it

Repeat verse

OK, so it's not tabs, but if you use these chords I'll bet you come up with the same melody I did. :lol:

notme Experienced

i *love* it :D  and better than tabs b/c i am still a beginner (ben nichols makes it look soooo easy...! )   <_<

bartfull Rising Star

OK, that's TWO reasons you should come to the Black Hills. I'll give you a guitar lesson, and I'll take you to Lintz Brothers for a REALLY good gluten-free pizza. If you need a third reason, it's the scenery. Come on out!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

w8in4dave Community Regular

LOL 

notme Experienced

somewhere in the black mining hills out in dakota there lived a young boy named rocky raccoon - and one day, his woman ran off with another guy, hit young rocky in the eye, rocky didn't like that he said "i'm gonna get that boy"..........

lolz - i have a friend who lives in rc; she loves it - one of my 7m3 buddies :)  haven't seen her in ages; probably since the record release weekend in orlando......

YES!  i would *love* a really good pizza - loves me some 'za - my friend is a foodie, too, i guess she lives in the right place!

eers03 Explorer

We have some real talent in this forum!  If its not clever wit, its music composition or sometimes both!  

nvsmom Community Regular

:D:lol: 

Celtic Queen Explorer

If it makes you feel any better, when I mentioned not eating gluten once, I had a nurse tell me, "Oh, I am so sick of hearing about that fad diet."  I had to respond, "I have Celiac Disease and this is not a fad diet to me."  You would think a nurse would understand a little better than the general public.

notme Experienced

If it makes you feel any better, when I mentioned not eating gluten once, I had a nurse tell me, "Oh, I am so sick of hearing about that fad diet."  I had to respond, "I have Celiac Disease and this is not a fad diet to me."  You would think a nurse would understand a little better than the general public.

i had a nurse practitioner roll her eyes at me when i said my lip gloss had to be gluten free.  then she said "you don't EAT it, do you?"  i said "sometimes.   when i'm reallllll hungry..."  and stared her straight in the face.  she didn't say anything after that............... <_<

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Bro, some people...

A few weeks ago I was at a new place that had a nice little menu, mostly gluten-free, though there was soy in stuff. I asked about it, saying I was gluten-free and couldn't eat soy. The server (and possibly owner, I think), did know what I could/couldn't have (and even said they could take out any soy for me), but asked: "Oh, are you on a cleanse?" Me: "ahhh, a life-long cleanse, I guess". she: "I bet you have great skin now". Me: "Um, I suppose it might have gotten better..."

The food was great, no problems with it at all, but MAN! I think that's the worst "this is totally a fad diet and great for your complexion" kind of reaction I've gotten from someone.
They did have good gluten-free beer on the menu, so I'll likely be back

for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever amen.

Celtic Queen Explorer

After reading the song earlier in the post I keep getting Taylor Swift's We are Never Ever Getting Back Together running through my head but with new words:

We will forever, ever be on this diet... 

eers03 Explorer

Bro, some people...

A few weeks ago I was at a new place that had a nice little menu, mostly gluten-free, though there was soy in stuff. I asked about it, saying I was gluten-free and couldn't eat soy. The server (and possibly owner, I think), did know what I could/couldn't have (and even said they could take out any soy for me), but asked: "Oh, are you on a cleanse?" Me: "ahhh, a life-long cleanse, I guess". she: "I bet you have great skin now". Me: "Um, I suppose it might have gotten better..."

The food was great, no problems with it at all, but MAN! I think that's the worst "this is totally a fad diet and great for your complexion" kind of reaction I've gotten from someone.

They did have good gluten-free beer on the menu, so I'll likely be back

for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever amen.

You can't bro me if you don't me....    HA!  Just messing...  Save that one for a rainy day--you're welcome!  I have to say I've never received comments about my complexion because people must be so enamored by my shiny shaved head.  Hey, I'm with you, I can be quite forgiving when there is gluten free beer involved. With a couple gluten-free beverages I might even just make something up about my complexion...  Here goes...

"Bro, you should have seen my sunspots and wrinkles...  It all went away on this diet...  If Vitamin E and Aloe were to mate, it couldn't birth anything better for these pours than a gluten-free diet...  Legit, brah."

Archived