This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Foods In Bulk Bins--Safe?

WillametteValleyKali

WillametteValleyKali Newbie

Hi, all! I'm in the process of being tested for Celiac. My GP took blood for the IgA and tTG tests and has referred me to a GI doc, whom I hope to hear from in the next few days. I've done a lot of wading around in the forums in the past week, especially this board. I've been able to answer most of my questions but I do have one that I'm not sure about and can't spend any more time looking into.

Would you consider gluten-free foods in bulk bins safe? If gluten-free oats are across the aisle from wheat flour, would you buy them? What about gluten-free pastas that are in a different aisle from flours? Would you buy nuts, beans and rice from there? I rely heavily on bulk foods to keep costs down. Making a gluten-free menu for the month is already pushing our costs up and I dread the thought of having to give up the bulk bins even though I suspect I'll have to. (And yes, I know I need to keep eating gluten until the tests are complete. I planned a gluten-free menu but will eat bread and crackers as well until I know I can stop.)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Nope!

The bins become empty....some worker dusts them out and fills them with something different. People use the scoops from one bin to another. People stick their dirty fingers in them....

Maybe you could get it from the newly opened bags? Make a friend at the store. If they are in those bins that you slide it and stuff falls out, with no chance for people to get their hands in it or use the wrong scoop, it would be safer. Ask about cleaning and re- filling procedures.

Nope!

The bins become empty....some worker dusts them out and fills them with something different. People use the scoops from one bin to another. People stick their dirty fingers in them....

Maybe you could get it from the newly opened bags? Make a friend at the store. If they are in those bins that you slide it and stuff falls out, with no chance for people to get their hands in it or use the wrong scoop, it would be safer. Ask about cleaning and re- filling procedures.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Sigh... I've thought that anyway each month when I'm getting my bulk foods. There are things that are labeled gluten free and I've thought to myself "Yes, but there's probably cross contamination" and worried about people who might not think about that. It will make a difference in our budget but thankfully not too much. And obviously it's worth it. If I run into someone filling the bulk bins on in a couple days I'll ask about the the cleaning and re-filling of upper bins that the food falls out of.

bartfull Rising Star

You can order things online. Some folks save money that way.

You can order things online. Some folks save money that way.

Thanks! I'm going to look into that for the next few months. This month won't work but it will give me time to look into my options and figure out what things it will work best for.

Adalaide Mentor

I buy things from more than one store in the area that sells in bulk. The key is in how you do it. Rather than buying out of the bin, I purchase an entire package at a time. This means things like 25 pounds of corn starch or salt. I buy my pasta in 10 pound boxes. However the store receives it to put into the bulk bins is how I buy it. The bonus to this is that I get a 10% discount off the per pound price by just buying the whole package. The downside is that at one of the stores I have to get them to order it for me and wait for it. The other always has a few boxes of pasta and oatmeal in stock.

It can seem expensive with the sticker shock of things like $65 for a bag of salt or $16 for a box of pasta. But then it isn't like its something you'll buy every month. I also space out my purchases as much as I can. If I know I'm getting low on more than one thing I'll buy one in one month and another the next so I'm not blowing my whole food budget at once. Keep in mind that with things like a 10 pound box of pasta, you can probably tuck that in your pantry. With things like a 25 pound bag of anything, you'll have to also buy a 5 gallon food storage bucket. (And a rubber mallet and one of those wrench thingers you open the buckets with unless you get a special screw on lid one.)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I ask at my local coop to have them get small portions from the original bag.  I figure it is a bit better then getting from the public bin.  They usually help with this since they understand.  I have been known to buy certain items from gravity bins, but I always wash them for more security.  I buy in bulk from Azure Standard (I am in a buyer's club)  They are in Dufur, Oregon and my stuff comes on a truck monthly. 

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Really depends on the item.  In the beginning, I bought corn pasta in bulk but then was afraid to fix it.  Why?  Because I didn't know what might have been in that bin before and if it was cleaned out well before it was refilled.  I have also seen customers using a scoop or tongs from one bin in anogther bin.  Just too easy to cross contaminate.  Now something that comes individually wrapped, like candy, I might buy. 

Another reason I don't like bulk bins is that unless you know that the store sells a lot of whatever you are buying, you could be buying old stuff.  My mom always puts beans and popcorn in my Christmas stocking that she gets in bulk from a health food store.  They are always very old.  I have tried to tell her that the food is not good but she's getting senile I think and she still keeps buying it.  I have bought beans at Winco and also at Whole Foods when it was new.  They were fresh.  But mostly I buy packaged stuff.

I buy things from more than one store in the area that sells in bulk. The key is in how you do it. Rather than buying out of the bin, I purchase an entire package at a time. This means things like 25 pounds of corn starch or salt. I buy my pasta in 10 pound boxes. However the store receives it to put into the bulk bins is how I buy it. The bonus to this is that I get a 10% discount off the per pound price by just buying the whole package. The downside is that at one of the stores I have to get them to order it for me and wait for it. The other always has a few boxes of pasta and oatmeal in stock.

It can seem expensive with the sticker shock of things like $65 for a bag of salt or $16 for a box of pasta. But then it isn't like its something you'll buy every month. I also space out my purchases as much as I can. If I know I'm getting low on more than one thing I'll buy one in one month and another the next so I'm not blowing my whole food budget at once. Keep in mind that with things like a 10 pound box of pasta, you can probably tuck that in your pantry. With things like a 25 pound bag of anything, you'll have to also buy a 5 gallon food storage bucket. (And a rubber mallet and one of those wrench thingers you open the buckets with unless you get a special screw on lid one.)

Great idea, I'm going to look into this.

I ask at my local coop to have them get small portions from the original bag.  I figure it is a bit better then getting from the public bin.  They usually help with this since they understand.  I have been known to buy certain items from gravity bins, but I always wash them for more security.  I buy in bulk from Azure Standard (I am in a buyer's club)  They are in Dufur, Oregon and my stuff comes on a truck monthly. 

D

I've considered Azure in the past and am going to look into it again for upcoming months. I remember them delivering to a few spots here in the Willamette Valley so if we can afford the minimum amount per delivery I know it could be well worth it. Can we afford it is the real question since my husband and I are both on disability.

Really depends on the item.  In the beginning, I bought corn pasta in bulk but then was afraid to fix it.  Why?  Because I didn't know what might have been in that bin before and if it was cleaned out well before it was refilled.  I have also seen customers using a scoop or tongs from one bin in anogther bin.  Just too easy to cross contaminate.  Now something that comes individually wrapped, like candy, I might buy. 

Another reason I don't like bulk bins is that unless you know that the store sells a lot of whatever you are buying, you could be buying old stuff.  My mom always puts beans and popcorn in my Christmas stocking that she gets in bulk from a health food store.  They are always very old.  I have tried to tell her that the food is not good but she's getting senile I think and she still keeps buying it.  I have bought beans at Winco and also at Whole Foods when it was new.  They were fresh.  But mostly I buy packaged stuff.

I do my big monthly shopping each month at Winco and have had good luck with bulk stuff but most of the things I've been getting have had high turnover. I'm definitely too worried about the cross contamination now to use them, too.

It's going to take me a few months to get used to all of this, that's for sure. Being gluten free and figuring out the cheapest ways to get the things I'd use most. Thanks again for all the input!

w8in4dave Community Regular

The bulk place I go to (went to) used to put everything in a big plastic bag inside the bin. So every time they changed it they changed the bag. There were no cross contamination that way. But the scoops and stuff yea ... I wouldn't trust that!! I go to Costco now and but family sized. 

Adalaide Mentor

Love love love Winco! That is where I get my pasta. They have penne and several types of macaroni, but I just get the brown rice one. They have spaghetti too but I didn't like it.

Archived