This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Make Crunchy Chicken Nuggets?

Seeking2012

Seeking2012 Contributor

Hi guys,

I am trying to do low carb AND gluten-free at the same time. Over on the low carb forums they tell me "use grated parmesan cheese as your breading." The problem with this is that there is no crunch like there is when you use white flour as the breading.

I want to achieve that CRUNCH when you bite into that delicious chicken nugget. Currently I am using half parm cheese and half white flour in my chicken nuggets recipe but I want to free myself of the gluten.

What can I use instead of the white flour as my breading that will have that nice CRUNCH when fried? Will rice flour work? I'm going to be using parm cheese too in order to lower carb count.

Thanks guys!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Crushed rice chex maybe or plain potato chips might work.

IrishHeart Veteran

Hon. do not go gluten free until you are done testing. I see in your sig line:

Next to test: celiac and thyroid.

kareng Grand Master

I think people use rice flour for frying. Maybe go to the main forum page and use the google function in the top right corner. Try " fried chicken" and " onion rings". If you use the " advanced search" you can choose to see the actual posts, I think that's easier. I know this has been talked about a lot. I try not to fry things so I don't remember.

mendylou Rookie

I don't do much coating for meats, but I like to coat fresh caught sunfish, crappie, & walleye.  I use the gluten free all purpose baking mixes.  I think they work great.  Should work for any meat as well. I have used it to make salisbury steak & meatballs.  I like Arrowhead Mills brand.

Hi guys,

I am trying to do low carb AND gluten-free at the same time. Over on the low carb forums they tell me "use grated parmesan cheese as your breading." The problem with this is that there is no crunch like there is when you use white flour as the breading.

I want to achieve that CRUNCH when you bite into that delicious chicken nugget. Currently I am using half parm cheese and half white flour in my chicken nuggets recipe but I want to free myself of the gluten.

What can I use instead of the white flour as my breading that will have that nice CRUNCH when fried? Will rice flour work? I'm going to be using parm cheese too in order to lower carb count.

Thanks guys!

nvsmom Community Regular

Flax seeds, rather than flax meal, might make a good crunchy coating.

I find that if I want crunch, I need to fry them in some oil - I try not to be excessive with it.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Yesterday I cut up some pork , rolled it in seasoned all purpose Gluten free flour and browned it on the stove then popped it in the oven! It was really good!! I was just getting tored of the same ol, same ol. I am sure it will work for chicken also. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Might not be low carb bu kinninkinnick makes a wonderful gluten-free panko .. Also before panko I used brown rice flour sorghum flour , spices & a bit of high heat cooking oil...(avocado oil) .. Or many use rice krispie cereal, corn flakes, or chex

LauraTX Rising Star

Crushed up potato chips make a great coating for oven "fried" items.  Probably not so much when actually fried, though.  But I make oven "fried" baked breaded meats frequently, usually the breading I will use half parmesean and half breading (crushed up cereal,corn meal,rice flour,crushed chips) and I just brush the meat with egg to make it stick.  You could also probably get away with half parmesean, 1/4 almonds, and a flour and pulse it in the food processor until it is a good texture and bread it with that.  

I made gluten-free fried chicken fingers that were buttermilk marinated, dredged in seasoned gluten-free bisquick, and then dipped in buttermilk and double dredged.  It had an abundance of tasty crunchy breading, for me it was too much though.  And of course, not low carb, hehe.

If you are still eating gluten, panko is the bomb!  They make gluten-free versions but I just cannot pay that price >.>

Might not be low carb bu kinninkinnick makes a wonderful gluten-free panko .. Also before panko I used brown rice flour sorghum flour , spices & a bit of high heat cooking oil...(avocado oil) .. Or many use rice krispie cereal, corn flakes, or chex

I seen that the other day at the store , I almost got it!! Now I am kicking myself for not getting it!! 

bayba792 Rookie

I have done low carb for a long time and I read that most low carbers use pork rinds crushed so I tried it and it wasn't bad you couldn't eventell as long as you season it.

I have done low carb for a long time and I read that most low carbers use pork rinds crushed so I tried it and it wasn't bad you couldn't eventell as long as you season it.

Really??? Wow!! Sounds delish!! W8 till I tell my friend about this!! :) She will love it!! And she isn't low carb!! But LOVES pork rinds!!

Archived