This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ive Developed A Lovely "light Golden Tan" To My Skin. Whats Happening?

jhol

jhol Enthusiast

hi

this has been happening for quite a while now,but sometimes im not sure and i think im just imagining it.

so some background- i absolutely hate the sun, if its sunny im usually in the house. i would never willingly go out in it unless absolutely necessary. the sun feels like its burning my skin and hurts my eyes.it makes me feel physically sick. friends joke that im half vampire!! -   my skin colour is naturally pale. but im sat here typing while admiring my light golden tan. the problem is its making me look really healthy and friends and family cant see what im going on about.

ive googled it but can only find things about how to lighten your skin or how to use false tan.

has anyone else experienced this. its all over as well- not in patches, although my legs are paler than the rest of my body- but they never saw the light of day anyway!

not sure what to think of this- is i a gluten problem, deficiency problem, malabsorption?  anyone got any ideas

thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

hi

this has been happening for quite a while now,but sometimes im not sure and i think im just imagining it.

so some background- i absolutely hate the sun, if its sunny im usually in the house. i would never willingly go out in it unless absolutely necessary. the sun feels like its burning my skin and hurts my eyes.it makes me feel physically sick. friends joke that im half vampire!! -   my skin colour is naturally pale. but im sat here typing while admiring my light golden tan. the problem is its making me look really healthy and friends and family cant see what im going on about.

ive googled it but can only find things about how to lighten your skin or how to use false tan.

has anyone else experienced this. its all over as well- not in patches, although my legs are paler than the rest of my body- but they never saw the light of day anyway!

not sure what to think of this- is i a gluten problem, deficiency problem, malabsorption?  anyone got any ideas

thanks.

Did this just pop up one day?

I am also very pale as well and it is rare for me to get a tan.

You can still tan when its cloudy out, just like you can still get a sunburn as well.

w8in4dave Community Regular

The 1st thing that comes to my mind is liver. You should get your liver enzymes checked. HAve you been to the Dr. At all about this?

kareng Grand Master

Agree with getting the liver checked &

too many carrots?  I knew someone whose sun turned orangey tan from too many

Open Original Shared Link

cyclinglady Grand Master

My baby niece's nose and little face turned orange because her Mommy fed her way too many carrots and sweet potatoes!  It went away when she stopped eating them so much!  Are the whites of your eyes okay?  Or are they yellowish?  Could be jaundice like the others have suggested.

Corrie Rookie

I would look into Addison's Disease.

mommida Enthusiast

"hyperpigmenation or bronzing of skin (melasma suprenale)"  ((This is taken from an article on Schmidt's Syndrome: Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome 2))  used this reference for spelling and closet article that had a link to Addison's (second Addison's I would think)  By the way Schmidt's syndrome is an autoimmune polyendocrine disorder that causes adrenal insufficiency along with thyroid disease, diabetes, or gonadal failure.

Most links in a quick look up suggest this would be an adrenal gland or an endocrine tissue issue.  That means you should get a refferal to an Endocronologist Dr.

I just happen to be a "research junkie"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I also looked up Addisons. I third that recommendation. Good luck , would love to find out what it is. 

frieze Community Regular

yeah, JFK's permanent tan......

Gemini Experienced

I think this is wise advice!  Bronzing of the skin is a symptom of Addison's.

jhol Enthusiast

thanks everyone,

this is something ive noticed for a while,sometimes it looks more tanned than others and because ive had a bit of trouble with my eyes (not yellow by the way) i kinda thought it was the lighting or i was imagining it. i,ll check out all the ideas thanks.

i have mentioned it to the doc and they did ring me this morning to do another urine test. they have already checked for diabetes - going about that one tomorrow so im assuming they are checking other things maybe kidneys??

anyway thanks, ive got some reading to do...

mommida Enthusiast

jaundice would have the yellowing of the eyes.

In Addison's there is a build up of Potassium.  This causes the body to not store sodium.  There is usually salt cravings involved.  (ie this can be a craving for salty things like pickles, bacon, or just plain table salt.  But who doesn't crave bacon!!?)

Curious to find out. :) hope they find it soon!! 

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

Please make an appt. asap! You don't want to wait until you have a crisis to find out.

Patiently w8in4 a report back :)  :unsure:

jhol Enthusiast

got derm appointment on fri so hopefully i,ll get some answers about it then. not sure about the addisons didnt quite add up.

Hmmm what do you mean didn't quite add up? We are all pullin for ya sweetie!! Hoping for all the best ever!! :) Huggzz!! 

jhol Enthusiast

Hmmm what do you mean didn't quite add up? We are all pullin for ya sweetie!! Hoping for all the best ever!! :) Huggzz!! 

hi

looked at symptoms , id say 80% were right but its the skin colouration im not sure about. it says you get patches of darkened skin and its most noticable in the creases - like on your palms, knuckles,knees. theres nothing like that at all. anyway ive got my fingers crossed for friday :)

jhol Enthusiast

well update on my derm appointment,

face rash is rosacea, palm rash is pompholyx eczema, weird knuckle growth is benign knuckle pads-nothing you can do about it. the "tan" thing he,s going to check again when i go back in 8 weeks

and when i asked if the rosacea can affect your eyes ( coz ive got an appointment next week)he basically said no.

so why can you google ocular rosacea then!!!!!

anyway got some antibiotics, a gel for face, steroid cream for hands (like i havent had them before) and some baby wash to use instead of soap.

so i,ll give it all a  go. whats a few more weeks??? :blink:

kareng Grand Master

face rash is rosacea, palm rash is pompholyx eczema, weird knuckle growth is benign knuckle pads-nothing you can do about it. the "tan" thing he,s going to check again when i go back in 8 weeks

and when i asked if the rosacea can affect your eyes ( coz ive got an appointment next week)he basically said no.

anyway got some antibiotics, a gel for face, steroid cream for hands (like i havent had them before) and some baby wash to use instead of soap.

Y ou saw a dermatologist, so they don't really know a lot about eyes or livers. The skin color change sounds more serious than a dermatologist could deal with.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Careful!  I have rosacea -- which is only triggered by certain foods.  When I was first diagnosed some 20 years ago, the dermatologist prescribed antibiotics which I took for two years and it made me very sick!  I developed all these food allergies, lost lots of weight (am little to start with), folks thought I had cancer.  So, the antibiotics might help for a few weeks, but it will come right back until you identify those foods or allergies.  It's also a genetic thing too.  

I also have ocular rosacea.  I wasn't able to wear my old hard lenses.  They kept being pulled up by these tiny bumps on my eye lids.  The day the dermatologist diagnosed me, my cousin who was an optometrist in another state called and told me that by my description, he thought I had ocular rosacea.  Both he and and ophthalmologist confirmed in person later.  

Seriously, my face is triggered by foods.  Drink wine, face breaks out.  I have some reddening and swelling  but mostly little tiny pustules -- not pimples that appear.  Of course the bumps can be seen on the edges of my eyelids.  

My complexion now is clear.  I get complements all the time and I don't need to wear foundation.  

janpell Apprentice

I had the yellowing of the skin just before I eliminated a lot of foods from my diet. My skin "pinked" up four months into my elimination diet, a slack elimination diet at that. I also get the same rosacea that surrounds my eyes when I break too far from my diet which rarely happens now as I learn my body and my intolerances. For cleansing my skin I use Dr. Bronner's soap, with a layer of coconut oil and then I put Penaten (yes, diaper cream) on my spots or redness and I am good to start the day - until I have something that may set it off - certain alcohol, dairy, peas. I don't have any gluten so I know it isn't that but other triggers. There are times I have a hard time having a perfectly clean diet but when the "rash" spreads near my eyes I just jump back in and it clears within four days.

I didn't take the prescription my doctor gave me either. I just dug deeper and tested more foods. I am tired of taking so many medications.

jhol Enthusiast

Careful!  I have rosacea -- which is only triggered by certain foods.  When I was first diagnosed some 20 years ago, the dermatologist prescribed antibiotics which I took for two years and it made me very sick!  I developed all these food allergies, lost lots of weight (am little to start with), folks thought I had cancer.  So, the antibiotics might help for a few weeks, but it will come right back until you identify those foods or allergies.  It's also a genetic thing too.  

I also have ocular rosacea.  I wasn't able to wear my old hard lenses.  They kept being pulled up by these tiny bumps on my eye lids.  The day the dermatologist diagnosed me, my cousin who was an optometrist in another state called and told me that by my description, he thought I had ocular rosacea.  Both he and and ophthalmologist confirmed in person later.  

Seriously, my face is triggered by foods.  Drink wine, face breaks out.  I have some reddening and swelling  but mostly little tiny pustules -- not pimples . that appear.  Of course the bumps can be seen on the edges of my eyelids.  

My complexion now is clear.  I get complements all the time and I don't need to wear foundation.  

hi 

thanks for answering. do you know what foods triggered your rash? are certain foods a trigger or is it different foods for different people? i think tomato,s and chocolate affect me especially my eyes - they go really bloodshot. 

im not happy about taking medication because i was thinking of trying an elimination diet an im not sure if it will affect it.

jhol Enthusiast

I had the yellowing of the skin just before I eliminated a lot of foods from my diet. My skin "pinked" up four months into my elimination diet, a slack elimination diet at that. I also get the same rosacea that surrounds my eyes when I break too far from my diet which rarely happens now as I learn my body and my intolerances. For cleansing my skin I use Dr. Bronner's soap, with a layer of coconut oil and then I put Penaten (yes, diaper cream) on my spots or redness and I am good to start the day - until I have something that may set it off - certain alcohol, dairy, peas. I don't have any gluten so I know it isn't that but other triggers. There are times I have a hard time having a perfectly clean diet but when the "rash" spreads near my eyes I just jump back in and it clears within four days.

I didn't take the prescription my doctor gave me either. I just dug deeper and tested more foods. I am tired of taking so many medications.

hi

thats really interesting. i wouldnt say my skin was yellow ,just a slight light tan. its odd coz sometimes i think it looks darker, then others times lighter. i was thinking that its my eyes and im not focusing properly. ive got an appointment next week though so i should get some answers.i think my triggers are tomato,s and chocolate. both things i shouldnt really be eating. tomato,s (nightshades) chocolate (dairy) really need to do an elimination diet because im just not getting anywhere at the moment.

janpell Apprentice

Two years later, I am still working on my diet. Right now I am strictly eliminating night shades as I also deal with joint pain and inflammation. The inflammation is pretty much all gone but I still deal with a little joint tightness and am willing to work my butt off to figure this all out. Definitely tomatoes mess me up but they are my "drug" as I keep caving to tomato sauces. I keep away from gluten, dairy (except whip cream - Organic Meadows as it has no additives), peas, soy, some red wines I have a few that I can consume that won't bring out the rosacea, nightshades (all of them, even hidden - anything ingredient that list "spices" because of paprika), I eat low carb and low sugar. I may have an issue with sesame, not sure yet and some legumes. I am giving of nightshades more readily now because I really notice it affecting my oldest son.

BTW, my eye doctor told me I no longer need a prescription for glasses. There have been so many benefits to changing my diet it's unreal. Another superficial bonus, I have less wrinkles at 42 than in my thirties. I hated dealing with wrinkles and breakouts years ago!

I think the Dr. Bronner's soap and coconut oil to help with bacteria and the Penaten takes away the redness. I don't do it every night but I will be tonight as I had some red wine and now I have red, burning, bumpy cheeks and I want it gone by morning.

Archived