This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have Stress Cause Diarrhea? Or Is This Something Else :(

livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Short intro - after 25 years of constant sickness I was diagnosed celiac. Two years and 3 months later I have been gluten free and healthy and happier than I ever knew was possible. For the first time ever I am able to live a semi-normal life. In the beginning I learned the hard way about getting glutened by roommatees, restaurants and from makeup products. I'm fairly sensitive. we had to clean out our entire house and start over and I don't eat out ever under any circumstances. It is a boring existence but a healthy one. It has been a year and a half since I've been accidentally glutened and I have finally felt confidence that I will not have issues with that ever again because I am VIGILANT. 

About five days ago, out of nowhere I had stomach cramps and had to go to the bathroom a LOT. But I had been a little constipated and I thought that was probably just catching up to me. Then three days ago I was trying to take an hour off work for myself and all of a sudden I got dizzy, couldn't catch my breath and felt sick. I ate a gluten free sandwich and then almost immediately got diarrhea. This is devastating to me as I do everything to avoid getting the D. I have checked my list and my symptoms - I don't believe I am glutened unless I am not having a normal reaction. I have a very standard reaction every time and this hasn't been it. 

Well the whole thing upset me so much I spent the entire day crying and stressed out. My husband came home and he convinced me that my incredible amount of stress is causing the tummy ache. He says that he watched a change happen in me when he decided to switch jobs, which in turn made us rely financially more on the business I was just starting. I believed him but still have been worried about what I am eating and if I have developed some other sort of sensitivity (I already cannot have gluten, eggs, peanuts, almonds, sulfites, or salycilates). Anyway, I am making this too long. Yesterday my bowel movement wasn't normal but no D and I finally started eating meals again. Today I struggled all morning, bawling my eyes out about the stress of my business and the 90 hour weeks I am working. I decided that it was in fact stress and I needed to just cancel my entire day and spend it relaxing. I haven't had a day off of work in about 6 weeks. That would be enough to stress anyone I'm sure. So I cancelled my day and tried to just sit at home with a puzzle and occupy my mind. I think I did good although I did spend about three hours back and forth on emails setting up appointments :/ I ate a good dinner and now BAM the D again. It hurts, I"m cramping and miserable. And I'm so scared! I don't know what is wrong with me. 

Husband says its stress. That I'm not having any sort of regular gluten reaction, no other symptoms. I don't know that stress could make my stomach be jacked up for 3 days like this. Especially when I'm making a marked effort to try to take some time off. He says I didn't really take time off and I"m just sitting here stressed about not working. That is true but I'm not sure I can see that causing these awful stomach upsets. 

What do you think? I'm feeling pretty alone and upset about all of this. I can't afford to get a reputation for cancelling people when I'm just starting out my business. I should be HAPPY not stressed - I have as much work as I want and am making money and working more than full time for the first time since I was diagnosed. I never had the confidence to work, I always felt like I was in recovery. Now I am finally able to contribute and I"m falling apart and don't know why. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yes, I have. When i get really stressed, it usually isn't far behind, along with a rather upset stomach.

I think the issue here is that you have overworked yourself. 90 hours a week, 7 days a week, is about 12 or so hours a day. That is a lot to handle right there.

I actually didn't realize that I was working THAT much until I started getting upset stomachs and my husband said it was stress. I did the math and realized that I am. But my job is FUN so it doesn't always feel like work. But I do only two things - sleep and work. I eat dinner in front of my computer and return emails, etc. in bed first thing when I wake up. Looking at it from the outside, I"m sure those things are unhealthy. They just creeped in, I didn't plan it that way. I literally woke up one day and my business was BOOMING and it was right when we needed it to - when my husband switched jobs and we needed me to step up and work more. I feel so much pressure on my shoulders ever since that happened and I was already a workaholic before that. I can see more and more as I talk this out how the stress and pressure has been even more than I realized. But I don't really see a way out of it. And it makes me really upset to think that I would be weak enough to let stress make me physically sick, especially after working SO HARD for two years to avoid gluten and figure out all of my food sensitivities. 

shadowicewolf Proficient

I actually didn't realize that I was working THAT much until I started getting upset stomachs and my husband said it was stress. I did the math and realized that I am. But my job is FUN so it doesn't always feel like work. But I do only two things - sleep and work. I eat dinner in front of my computer and return emails, etc. in bed first thing when I wake up. Looking at it from the outside, I"m sure those things are unhealthy. They just creeped in, I didn't plan it that way. I literally woke up one day and my business was BOOMING and it was right when we needed it to - when my husband switched jobs and we needed me to step up and work more. I feel so much pressure on my shoulders ever since that happened and I was already a workaholic before that. I can see more and more as I talk this out how the stress and pressure has been even more than I realized. But I don't really see a way out of it. And it makes me really upset to think that I would be weak enough to let stress make me physically sick, especially after working SO HARD for two years to avoid gluten and figure out all of my food sensitivities. 

You are not weak.

Stress is something we all deal with.

Can you by chance cut back and have, say, one day a week for a break?

That is the plan starting now. Part of the problem is that I do a  lot of my work from home so the lines get blurred... even when I take a "day off" I end up in front of the computer working most of the day. I don't really know what to do with myself if I'm not working. I am trying to figure that out. I have all day free tomorrow except for the celiac support group that i'm part of so I was thinking about setting my emails to answer automatically and turning off my computer and phone for the day. I think that's the only way to shut down, otherwise I am constantly answering phone calls and emails. 

notme Experienced

absolutely, stress wonks out my whole system.  if i see it coming, i have a script for xanax that calms my insides.  i do NOT take a bunch, just break apart like 1/6th of the pill (1/3 of what i use if i have to fly which is 1/2 a tablet - lolz - who needs a plane...?  :D  )  my body runs at high speed at all times, and stress causes overload.  but if i take the xanax i can still function just fine <to my surprise!) and my insides don't turn to goo.  i constantly run in overdrive, so i guess it just brings my stress level down to 'normal'  ?  no idea.  it just works for me  :)

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't have that problem but my husband and members of his family do.  The first time I saw it happen was when my MIL and nephew were staying with us.  Nephew was 13 and had made it his career to drive her nuts.  He was quite sucessful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flowerqueen Community Regular

It could be IBS. - you can have both Celiacs disease and IBS. I have both. I was told that stress causes IBS but more fibre in your diet helps correct it. We all know it's more difficult finding enough fibre in your diet when you have celiac disease, but it is possible. My stomach cramping comes back if I lapse into a low fibre diet. Just look at your diet to see where you can substitute it with a gluten and wheat free, high fibre option. The other important thing to remember is to drink plenty of water with a high fibre diet. Good luck!

eers03 Explorer

You're not alone.  I'm stressed from work for all of the WRONG reasons.  I think I practically screeched to a stop in my car pulling into a hotel parking lot to go inside for relief.  If someone were to be standing in that parking spot having a smoke, they would have became my new hood ornament. :-)  I'm trying to sort it out.  I don't know if its stress, dairy, egg, OR I just started jogging again and have ran 2 miles per day for the last 3 days.  I had a few drinks last Saturday but am more or less cutting that out in an attempt to accelerate some healing in the form of bone density.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is possible it is stress but it is also possible you have picked up a food borne illness. If things don't calm down soon it would be a good idea to see a doctor and get stool tests done to rule them out. I suffered greatly one time when my doctor was convinced my increase in tummy troubles was stress related. I suffered for 2 weeks before she did stool testing and we found out I had salmonella.

love2travel Mentor

Stress and intense excitement give me diarrhea at times. Seeing the dentist used to = diarrhea. Not any more as he is excellent but I used to get physically ill.

Today I feel even worse. I had nightmares all night about have D in places where there was no decent bathroom. Then I woke up shaky and dry mouth and I'm nearly hyperventilating. I feel weak and sick and like I'm going to have to go to the toilet again. My husband won't entertain the idea that this is anything other than stress. I don't know why it feels even worse today than yesterday! I have felt completely fine with it except for the occasional outburst of bawling my eyes out. I just don't understand what is going on with me and I'm feeling pretty scared and sad about it. I have no faith in doctors. I was thinking about going in but that gives me even MORE anxiety and freaks me out and I feel that they won't do anything anyway. 

notme Experienced

go to doctor to rule out 'something else' - like raven says, you could have picked up something - but if that's not it, what has changed in your life?  extra stress.  i am super scared to go back to work and i honestly believe the stress will kill me - not heart attack kill me, rather starve to death kill me.  

could you at least raise your rates and cut your hours?  :(

NateJ Contributor

I get the same thing, its anxiety manifesting in physical symptoms. Don't think you are week by any standards. Lots of people have stress, they key is finding the triggers and working them out. Symptoms can vary from shakes, to bad sleep, to heart problems and high blood pressure, all the way to IBS type problems.

There is tons of info out there on stress and how to cope and eliminate it.

Instead of 'working' on your days off, you should go for a walk or get outside. Sunlight does wonders for stress and fress air.

Sounds like you need to unplug for a bit.

I attempted to go to the doctor yesterday, only to show up for my appointment and find that our insurance had lapsed. So no doctors for me until we get more. This stressed me out even more. But I decided to take the whole day off - I actually turned off my computer and phone and posted online that I wouldn't return emails or calls until today. It was great, I've never done that. I relaxed most of the day and even got the house cleaned and watched tv (something I rarely do). Anyway I was finally feeling back to myself! I woke up very hopeful today, did my normal chores and routine, started off with a meditation to make sure I stayed calm and I was completely fine until BAM diarrhea again. I am caught between frustration and fear. I feel like I've been messed up for a week now. I haven't been eating hardly at all compared to usual and pretty much quit caffeine cold turkey with the first day of stomach upset. So I don't know if I just had a stressed stomach ache and then freaked out about it and rolled with it and now my stomach is STILL upset because I'm not eating hardly anything, not drinking caffeine as usual and I'm worrying myself like crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Or if there is some terrible dire thing wrong with me that I need to be in the ER and getting checked out. Or did I get glutened and just don't have a single other symptom? My reactions to gluten have always been exactly the same and this so far is not it. I am so confused. I have convinced myself that I have everything from diabetes to cancer. I can't go to the doctor unless it really is a dire situation and I'm afraid they'd almost laugh at me for going - I have no other symptoms other than freaking out about this whole thing. I also don't know if I'm overreacting - This has drug on for 5 days but I have actually technically had diarrhea three times in that time period. The rest of the time I've just felt like I'm going to or worried that I will. Yesterday didn't go at all. I just don't know what to do but everytime I eat or drink anything I am getting terrible anxiety that the D will come back! Including right now :/

Archived