This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Other Nail Biters/finger Suckers Who Keep Glutening Themselves?

Fourmonkeysjumping

Fourmonkeysjumping Rookie

My oldest is a nail biter.  He has some sensory issues (from me - yay, lucky kid got the worst from both of us. :wacko: )  He is always fine at home, but now that he is back in school, we are having upset stomach issues again. We CONTINUE to tell him taht he MUST keep his hands out of his mouth, because he is his own worst enemy, but with the sensory issues, he just can't seem to manage it.  We've tried chewing gum, we've tried the terrible tasting stuff on his fingers - nothing helps.  Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this type of situation and if there was anything that did work.

THanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What is he doing with his fingers to get gluten on them in the classroom?  Maybe he needs a class that doesn't have gluten in every project or sensory table?  Maybe the teachers can keep him from using pasta in art projects?  Maybe he could wash his hands more?

w8in4dave Community Regular

Every time my kids have an issue they say "Thanks for that gene mom"  They don't chew their nails tho

Honestly, just sharing pens/pencils, etc.  Last year, he was in a classroom that had a less traditional set up - all tables, they chose their own seats each day, communal pencils and markers, etc.  We didn't think he was getting sick (he doesn't get sick in the conventional way and never really has), we just thought he was "that guy" who spent a long time in the bathroom.  Over the summer, however, he had no issues at all.  It made us realize that it was likely due to lots of little cross contamination - touching surfaces, doorknobs, etc.  He has a plan in place, but the entire classroom isn't gluten-free and the kids eat their snacks in the classroom and don't wash their hands. In many ways, this should be okay enough for a third grader, but when they keep putting their hands in their mouths...  not so much.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I chewed my nails badly and stopped in high school.  How old is he?  He has to really want to stop.  It's difficult.  It might help if he had other things to do with his hands.  Could he get one of those little toys that are made to fiddle with?  Would his teachers let him do that in the classroom?  I got one made by Tangle Creations for my nephew.

Maby have a talk with the teacher. Make the kids wash their hands after their snack, and maby she should wipe the tables down afterwards. If you talk to her about your sons issues. She may understand a lil more and be a lil helpful. How old is your son? 

He is 8 and really should be able to be safe in a classroom...  but he is who he is, you know?  I never know how much to push for in terms of having the other kids do stuff or not.  I don't want to be the parent they ignore because they think I ask too much.  I already fought his classroom placement this year and had him moved to a better teacher, so I'm afraid to be the crazy lady.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I know what you mean, when it comes to kids that age. He is old enuf and was told enuf, but still does what ever lol So to speak anyway.  I thought we were talking about a child a lil younger. But I think you can still have a talk with the teacher and just explain your concerns. Tell her he is Celiac and needs a cleaner environment ... I guess either that or Home School. Our neighbors used to home school , they used to get together with other home schoolers and teach a bunch of kids. Maby you can find something like that? I know it is not for everyone but may be the answer ... At least till he can be a lil more cleaner about things for himself. 

In theory I'd love to homeschool.  In reality, I could likely homeschool some of my kids, but this particular one would kill me, LOL!  He and I tend to clash a lot.  He will likely end up in private school one day, anyway, because he is so very unchallenged in public.  But, that's a whole other issue ;)

gemlechner Apprentice

Is nail biting a common celiac symptom? Sorry new and toddler might have celiac...still in the process of figuring it out. She bites her nails like crazy, also has chronic horrible constipation, low iron horrible tooth decay and snot looking stuff in her poop.

kareng Grand Master

Is nail biting a common celiac symptom? Sorry new and toddler might have celiac...still in the process of figuring it out. She bites her nails like crazy, also has chronic horrible constipation, low iron horrible tooth decay and snot looking stuff in her poop.

Never seen nail biting as a direct sympto of celiac. I think it can be a response to anxiety and feeling sick might make a person anxious ad in need of something comforting.

Archived