This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Gluten Break Down From A Surface After A While?

BelleVie

Gemini Experienced

Oh come now, I doubt you've heard "everything" yet. -_- you're still young.

No....I'm pretty sure that after reading some posts of late that it's official that I've heard everything but then again, just when you think you've heard the craziest Celiac myth to date, another one comes along and rears it's ugly head.  Gluten is not nuclear waste with a half life...... :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Gluten washes off 3 year olds, too! But some parents might frown on power washing the kids with a fire hose?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Okay, okay, Irish, I'll resolve to chill on my paranoia.  :)

Hon, I tell you straight: Vigilance is one thing, paranoia is another. Be careful, but do not live in fear. ;)

GF Lover Rising Star

BelleVie,

Rest assured, your questions were completely legit.  Some of the replies went to the "Urban Legend" level.  These are the types of mis-information that we try to refute with research or plead for use of common sense. 

Colleen

notme Experienced

ok - joking aside!  when i was pretty new to the diet, i had 'mystery glutenings' - one was that i couldn't stop licking my fingers/touching things (like making sandwiches for the kids - regular 'gluten' bread) and then LICKING MY FINGERS for one reason or another.  i broke myself of the habit (and i still hafta catch myself!) by wearing food prep gloves <also i am allergic to latex lolz) while i was fixing food for other folks.  makes you think twice and i never licked the gloves :)  i will sometimes wear them in the winter when i don't want to over-wash my hands (dry skin in winter!) when i'm making a big meal or something.  i always wear gloves when i'm vacuuming/houseworking but that is to save my nails.  never because i'm afraid to touch gluten - you have to ingest it - i would suppose if you worked in a bakery with flour flying around it might get breathed into your mouth and then ingested, but otherwise, touch the h*77 out of it ;)  just wash up :)

and wait four years before you eat dirt :P

(what?) 

Gemini Experienced

and wait four years before you eat dirt :P

Never, ever read one of Arlene's responses when drinkig a hot liquid.  It hurts like hell when it comes out your nose............... :lol:

BelleVie Enthusiast

BelleVie,

Rest assured, your questions were completely legit.  Some of the replies went to the "Urban Legend" level.  These are the types of mis-information that we try to refute with research or plead for use of common sense. 

Colleen

Colleen, thank you for your clarification.  :) I'm a sensitive one.  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Can you give me an example of gluten not washing off because I do not understand how that is possible. It's not glue or anything.

Other foods wash off if you wash your hands, why not that one too?

It sounds like I alarmed you.  I am sorry for that.  This is what I said: "I have examples of it not seeming to wash off either. "

I only said "seem".  I don't have proof that I can post here in this forum.  All I know is that I wash everything like crazy.  Still, I regularly react to things that I get in the store, and I don't react to things that I grow in my garden.  So does my son.   Like I said, it is mystifying.  We are definitely in the super sensitive category.  Typical celiacs don't experience this.  Please don't be alarmed.  

As far as it being possible:  My husband and I are both chemists.  We have both worked in research and industry and worked with lots of different compounds.  Some are highly colored or strong smelling.  When this is the case you are aware of very tiny amounts of material.  When you work with things like that, you wear gloves and wash up like crazy.  You wear protective clothing and use protective equipment.   Still it sometimes doesn't come off all the way.  I would have to say that it seems more common with my coworkers than with me. :P    It is possible, but probably not in amounts that bother the typical celiac.

IrishHeart Veteran

Edited to say:

I answered but I realized you were not exactly speaking to me. :D But I would like to say

that I appreciated you clarifying your statements for the readers of the thread.

Thanks, IH

LauraTX Rising Star

Gluten washes off 3 year olds, too! But some parents might frown on power washing the kids with a fire hose?

I dunno, sounds like a legitimate plan for all those unclean gluten-eaters out there!   :lol:

Archived