This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

2-3 Days For A Glutening Reaction?!

CajunChic

CajunChic Explorer

I knowingly ate gluten to "test" my symptoms after being gluten-free for 3 months. I started having gastro symptoms after 2 days. Then on the third day, I can't stay awake, have a horrible headache, gurgling, and just feel horrible!

Is it possible to be celiac and have such a delayed reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flowerqueen Community Regular

I'm not sure if that was a good idea, as even if you don't have any symptoms it is still damaging your gut if you have celiac disease. However, that can't be changed and I would say that everyone is different and no way of telling for certain how long it will last and if it can be a delayed reaction.

Salax Contributor

Its not uncommon to have a delay like that. Mine are 8 to 10 hours after eating something with gluten. I have seen others on the forum say it takes them a day or two. I think part of the reason, just my opinion, but is that it take time to digest and for then the body to make the antibodies (if you have those), then for them to attack healthy tissue and cause "issues". I think thats the delay reason. Now if it's an intolerance without the antibodies, maybe th reaction isn't as delayed. Again thats my theory. I hope you feel better soon. B)

emilykay405 Rookie

It took 12 hours today. I had my first 2 pieces of true bread for breakfast this morning in a long time. I'm still on gluten because the testing hasn't been completed and my GI told me I don't have Celiac...so I thought, "Why not?" BIG mistake.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My functional medicine practitioner told me that one can react to food eaten with up to a four day delay!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My functional medicine practitioner told me that one can react to food eaten with up to a four day delay!

I agree. When my allergist put me on a strict elimination diet I was told to eat the new food 3 times a day for a week before I could add that item in as safe. My gluten reactions usually take about 3 days to appear.

CajunChic Explorer

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully this will go away soon. This has been by far the worst reaction I've had. Probably a big dose of gluten. Lesson learned, I'll NEVER test the waters again! Gluten has taken enough days of my life!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

I'm so glad you learned your lesson.  It's just not worth risking damage and feeling so unwell. 

Good luck to you.

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

Not sure why you tested the waters,unless you went G F just to see if it could help you and you wondered what would happn if you ate it?

....but if you have celiac disease, please do not do that ever again. The inflammatory response lasts for weeks inside your body

even if you do not have a single symptom appear.We have many members who do not seem to have gut issues, but they can tell you they feel

it in other ways ( brain fog, joint pain, hair loss,  anxiety, depression)

If I am accidentally glutened, and that is rare because I am very careful, I have symptoms that occur for weeks afterwards. 

They do not all come at once and they wreak havoc.

CajunChic Explorer

I believe I do have celiac, (dr. never gave me concrete dx, just said biopsy suggested celiac). I wanted to see if I really did, and what would a reaction feel like. It's 5 days later and I'm still in major pain I'm also finding that I'm dairy intolerant, which is furthering my misery. Just trying to learn my new lifestyle. Thanks for all the great advice and words of encouragement!!

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome!

A couple thoughts:

Ask your doctor for written or electronic copies of your blood tests along with both the procedural AND pathology reports from your endoscocpy. If the results do not make sense to you - post them here. Your doctor's statement is not enough - Celiac Disease is completely manageable, yet with serious complications should you doubt your diagnosis in the future.

Many are intolerant of dairy until the villi in the small intestine heal....remove for several months and then try dairy again.

Hang in there :)

Not sure why you tested the waters,unless you went G F just to see if it could help you and you wondered what would happn if you ate it?

....but if you have celiac disease, please do not do that ever again. The inflammatory response lasts for weeks inside your body

even if you do not have a single symptom appear.We have many members who do not seem to have gut issues, but they can tell you they feel

it in other ways ( brain fog, joint pain, hair loss,  anxiety, depression)

If I am accidentally glutened, and that is rare because I am very careful, I have symptoms that occur for weeks afterwards. 

They do not all come at once and they wreak havoc.

Would you mind me asking how long your symptoms last, and what they are?  I think I have accidentally been glutened, and have felt ill for nearly 2 weeks now and still don't know the cause.  I am very strict and cautious and don't know how it has happened.  (Currently doing a food journal). 

IrishHeart Veteran

Would you mind me asking how long your symptoms last, and what they are?  I think I have accidentally been glutened, and have felt ill for nearly 2 weeks now and still don't know the cause.  I am very strict and cautious and don't know how it has happened.  (Currently doing a food journal). 

They range from abdominal cramping to bouts of C and D to headaches.

I have flagging fatigue, yet I cannot sleep.

I incur some hair loss, little red oozey sores on my face and scalp may erupt, and I feel very foggy brained, listless and

ill (like I have the flu) yet, I am also "antsy".  I am uncharacterstically grouchy and somewhat jittery and I cannot sit still. I second guess myself (did I shut the stove off?--go check 4 times) and I feel, in general just "not myself". I also feel like I have been injected with air--bloated with a side of puffball. ugh.

Pretty much what life was like before DX--only on a much smaller scale.

It's not peasant, but I have to say, the longer I am gluten-free, the lesser the amount of symptoms and the shorter the duration.

So, that's a good thing!

We may never know where the CC comes from. And for awhile, I thought I was getting glutened regularly (even though it was highly unlikely) 

but it turned out, I had other food intolerances at play. Once I dumped/limited those foods, I stopped feeling like crap on a regular basis.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Would you mind me asking how long your symptoms last, and what they are? I think I have accidentally been glutened, and have felt ill for nearly 2 weeks now and still don't know the cause. I am very strict and cautious and don't know how it has happened. (Currently doing a food journal).

The cramping usually shows up the next day for me. The first day of cramping is off and on all day long. It varies between rib cage pain, stabbing pain, and a soarness like I was punched in the gut. Brain fog, insomnia, grumpy, a rash will appear on my stomach and ankles 2-3 days after. Then my asthma will act up and stay that way for about a week.

They range from abdominal cramping to bouts of C and D to headaches.

I have flagging fatigue, yet I cannot sleep.

I incur some hair loss, little red oozey sores on my face and scalp may erupt, and I feel very foggy brained, listless and

ill (like I have the flu) yet, I am also "antsy".  I am uncharacterstically grouchy and somewhat jittery and I cannot sit still. I second guess myself (did I shut the stove off?--go check 4 times) and I feel, in general just "not myself". I also feel like I have been injected with air--bloated with a side of puffball. ugh.

Pretty much what life was like before DX--only on a much smaller scale.

It's not peasant, but I have to say, the longer I am gluten-free, the lesser the amount of symptoms and the shorter the duration.

So, that's a good thing!

We may never know where the CC comes from. And for awhile, I thought I was getting glutened regularly (even though it was highly unlikely) 

but it turned out, I had other food intolerances at play. Once I dumped/limited those foods, I stopped feeling like crap on a regular basis.

It's really odd how everyone has different symptoms with it. At the moment, the stomach cramps have gone, but I feel like my lower intestines are throbbing - presumably as it moves down the digestive tract(?) I have started to think that I may now have more food intolerances than I had before though. I looked at the Paleo diet, but am holding off at the moment, as I feel there's so much I can't eat already

IrishHeart Veteran

FlowerQueen

The main symptom I failed to mention (which just proves how far I have come, because it is the worst and I have forgotten about it !) is joint/muscle pain and burning...ugh!

just horrid. If THAT increases (because I live with low level pain all the time) well, then, I  know I have been hit.

The Paleo diet --or Whole 30 diet, etc--can be useful, but when I did it, I felt lousy.  I have a problem with high histamine foods, so it worked against me. Learned a lot, though!

Everyone has to find the best food plan.

Good luck, hon.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Yep, my last glutening (a few weeks ago) hit me 3 days later (just when I thought I was in the clear). Achy and nauseous and headachy and sleepy and awful. And that was just from cross contamination.

It took a couple weeks or so to get out of my system. I'm really only back up to snuff now. My last serious glutening took a couple months to fully resolve. My symptoms might not be as serious as some here, but feeling like crud for that long is not fun.

Consider this a lesson as to why you should avoid gluten like the plague for the rest of your life. And "signs of Celiac" probably means you've got it. That would be enough for me anyway.

Take care, heal up, and good luck!

Archived