• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Food Log App?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone use a food log app?  There are several out there but would like to hear if anyone uses one in particular (don't want to spend $1.99 if it's a total waste). My celiac daughter is having some ups and downs and I want to try and track her foods so we can look for triggers and I figure it will help when we go for her next appointment in December.  I figure an app might be a fun way to get her involved in the process. 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

eers03    20

myfitnesspal

I think its free and its really easy to use.  I used this app early in my diagnosis to set a weight goal and a caloric intake goal to correspond.  You can track your food, your weight, your various nutrients per day, week, month, and track calories burned per exercise so you know how to adjust your intake depending on your goal.

Check it out!

Celtic Queen    33

I use mysymptoms food diary on the i-phone.  I can't remember if I paid for it or if it was free.  It's pretty easy to use and is easily customizable.  You can enter your food daily, along with symptoms of issues - headache, bloating,etc.  It will also track your bowel movements using the Bristol scale.  You can add data about sleep, exercise, medicine, the environment, etc.  It also has a feature where it tries to match your symptoms with your food intake using mathmatical algorithms.  And you can e-mail your food journal to yourself or someone else.

My only real issue with it is you have to enter each ingredient.  You can create meals so that if you eat the same thing twice, you don't have to enter everything again.  For instance, if you're having spaghetti, you have to input tomatoes, ground beef, garlic, rice pasta, etc.  You can save those ingredients as a meal called "Spaghetti," so that if you eat leftovers the next day you don't have to enter everything all over again.  But the first time you have to make a point of entering each ingredient.  It can be a bit of a pain for something with a lot of ingredients.

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    blueides

• Topics

• To me it sounded like he thought frying corn chips would contaminate the oil .     I never eat there.  I know a few years ago, the one by me was pretty Celiac friendly.  Maybe you had to have grilled wings?  They would get a clean bowl to toss them for Celiacs.  I don't know because I wasn't interested.  Maybe it depends on the store?  I would imagine one in Portland or Seattle or Denver , might be more aware than one in Omaha?  But even that depends.....
    • I would not eat there either for many reasons listed already. But what is wrong with yeast? *quote from op, not kareng 
    • Hi,  I just wanted to add some insight to my question on the test results.  I am 58 experiencing stress fractors to the foot without any extra activity.  I have osteoporosis and the thought process of the doctors is that I have another cause besides age for the osteoporosis.  The foot is not healing after 11 weeks in a boot.  Ortho sent me to Endo.  Endo did blood test.  Hormones normal and received the below results on Celiac.  I have had osteoarthritis since 21, Was diagnosised at 29 as being allergic to wheat, symptom was I lost my voice after having my first child.  Had my second at 32 and magic I could eat wheat again and not lose my voice.  Last year I was tested autoimmune because of lung issues; MAC and bronchiaestasis.  IGA was high then but no further testing.  I do not have digestion issues except lactose intolerant.  I do have low values on vitamin D. I do not go back to Endo until 2 weeks from now.  My sister is fighting her own issues which is pointing to autoimmune but drs. have figured her out yet.  My mom as MS and her mom died of ALS, Dad's side had Lupus.  Any thoughts?
    • I am sorry to hear you are having these problems with airborne particle sensitivity. My initial symptoms were neurological (extreme fatigue and visual migraines) and dermatological.  I had "eczema" from the base of my skull to my bra-line that itched and burned terribly.   I do not have Celiac disease but I do have gluten intolerance.  I have remained strictly gluten free for 6.5 years now (except for occ'l "glutenizing" by someone trying hard to be nice and feed me something they believe is gluten-free).  The first year I was gluten free I continued to have this rash in a smaller area but it would flare in the hairline.  We found gluten free oats in a product we used and cutting out oats almost completely alleviated my skin reaction.  My doctor informed me that the protein in oats is similar to other grains containing gluten so I may be reacting to it even though it is not actually gluten.   I now use only gluten free hair products as I have long hair and I figure that even though it is external hair blows in my face and I push it away or I may touch my hair to push it out of the way when eating or socializing.  Everyone is different as far as items they tolerate but I have had good results with Griffin Remedy (available online at their website), Aura Cacia (although they do use Cetryl Alcohol which I used to try to avoid for other reasons), and Avalon Organics Cucumber gluten-free shampoo and conditioner.  You probably already use gluten-free facial care products and lip glosses as you sound knowledgeable about Celiac and gluten-free issues. I don't buy any of my gluten free products from a store where they are shelved with the regular baking products.  (I would be OK with washing an item if it were plastic packaged but many are in cardboard so I personally feel the risk of contamination goes up).  I am blessed to be married to a man who is open minded and glad to see me feeling better so there is nothing with gluten in our home (in food products).  My diet is similar to the person who stated, "Solid advice" above.  Finally, if I am going out with friends I take food along with me except for a very few establishments where I am sure that I am safe.  I also bring a bottle of water or iced tea, and even a napkin, as some people preparing food may be touching something with gluten and then handling glasses for beverages or setting tables without being fully aware (as was mentioned above pertaining to the gluten-free oats).  I also found with the gluten-free diet fad that I have to be vigilant in asking about preparation in unknown venues (i.e. We were on a ski vacation and I was excited to see gluten-free items on the menu BUT the preparation area was not segregated, nor was the cookware.  I was able to explain my needs and accommodations were made.  Hopefully, the owner were more educated regarding the needs of people with gluten sensitivities vs. dietary preference and made some changes in their practices.) I hope you find the piece to your puzzle that works for you!    
    • My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease 5 months ago after she had fallen off the growth chart. She is 7 years old. Anyone happen to know when we may start seeing celiac growth spurt? I'm worried because in the past 5 months she's grown 1/2 an inch and has only gained 1/2 lb. We are following up with her endocrinologist this week and I want to be prepared before we go in to see her. Thanks! 
  • Upcoming Events