This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toy Yorkies And Joint Pain

GF Lover

GF Lover Rising Star

I have two adorable Yorkies.  One is 8 now, the other is 1.  My older guy is showing signs of pain in his back half.  He growls a bit when I position his rear in the chair with me and stiffens if you touch the area.  He also is not a good jumper anymore, I have steps to the bed and I assist him on the furniture.  He CAN make it up but fusses about it and his eyes plead for help.

So, in my attempt to avoid outrageous Vet bills, I'm thinking I might be able to do something myself to ease the inflammation and pain.  Of course, If it continues to worsen I will take him in.  

He is 7 pounds and has major dental issues which require multiple teeth to be pulled yearly.  Vet says he has excess minerals in his saliva and shows up in Yorkies among other breeds.

Any thoughts on this?  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I would want to get that looked at.  What if he hurt his back?  Sometimes a little doggie steroid helps a lot if its a sprain.  Otherwise, there is doggie glucosamine and chondroitin for arthritis.

Really funny thing- I didn't see who posted and I thought - Is someone blaming the dogs for glutening them?

GF Lover Rising Star

Karen,

I've thought about him hurting his back and I've felt all along his spine and he doesn't flinch or stiffen at all.  It seems to be the sides of his butt.  I just don't know.  I'll probably end up taking him in at some point.  

Colleen

kareng Grand Master

Karen,

I've thought about him hurting his back and I've felt all along his spine and he doesn't flinch or stiffen at all.  It seems to be the sides of his butt.  I just don't know.  I'll probably end up taking him in at some point.  

Colleen

Hip issues maybe.  

I'm just glad you don't think Yorkies contain gluten and cause your joint pains!

GF Lover Rising Star

OMG  :lol:  Me too.  I could not survive without my Pets.  Aside from the two incredibly spoiled lap dogs, we have a moody cat who loves to roll in catnip, two wonderfully chirpy Parakeets and an aquarium full of colorful fish and a Snail  :o I don't even know how he got there !! and a chipmunk who lives in the wall in the Winter  :) and yes, we feed him.  

Colleen

mommida Enthusiast

I'm thinking the vet cost on this shouldn't be outrageous.  An x-ray to show the hip problems and probably some pain pills.  It's a hard thing.  The pain pills will cause long term damage, but to have a little more pain free time with your guy is worth it.  Definately try the glucosamine and chondroitin  some dogs have really snapped right back to puppy hood.

GF Lover Rising Star

Yea, I'm definitely going to start the supplement and probably schedule him for the Vet after the holidays. 

Thanks,

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I hope the chipmunk doesn't chew on the wiring. :o

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thought I would chime in on this since I am a veterinary technician.

The hips could have osteoarthritis, it could be soft tissue trauma, it could be a disc problem. If it was a disc problem then the faster you get it checked out the better it will respond to therapy. That being said, if it is not a disc issue then some NSAIDs are usually prescribed: rimadyl, deramaxx, metacam are just a few types. A good joint supplement is good as well as well as omega3 fatty acids/fish oil as a natural anti inflammatory. If your dog is over weight you should really try to get him to lose weight. That can really make arthritis pain much much worse.

[edit] I also forgot to mention that smaller breeds such as yorkies can get patellar luxation and that can cause some "skipping" or disuse of the leg affected. Sometimes it is bilateral. The patella pops out of the groove and can cause pain. A lot of times jumping off or onto something can cause it to slip out of the groove.

just my 2 cents.

GF Lover Rising Star

Barty.  That made me laugh.  If he does chew the wires, the Condo Association has to pay for it.  It's an outside wall and he get in from a tunnel at the window well.  We hear him in a portion of that wall.  The dogs go crazy when they see them.

Malibu, Thank You for that information.  He's only 7 pounds and very fit.  I am very concerned that it might be something serious.  I am planning to take him in after the Holidays and start on some supplements now.  

Colleen

bartfull Rising Star

Wasn't trying to make you laugh. Chipmunks (as well as squirrels and other rodents) like to chew on wiring. It can cause a fire. I know they're cute, but it could be dangerous.

GF Lover Rising Star

I know Barty.  We have filled in the tunnel numerous times but he keeps making it again and I don't have the heart to poison him or something.  I guess we are just resigned to having him around.  It is chipmonk heaven in this community.  They are everywhere.  A directive came down to not use corn in the feeders anymore to try to limit the number but I havent seen a change.  We only put some food out when it gets really cold.  

Colleen

Archived