This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Gas-X Safe/

CynthiaSt

CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi,

I am having terrible gas and stomach acid. I'm on digestive enzymes but I am still getting awful stomach and gas attacks. I am also in the hypoglycemic phase.

Is it safe to take Gas-X? Any suggestions to reduce the stomach acid? I can't take Gaviscon.

Gas-X ingredients from Walmart

calcium phosphate

dextrose

DNC Red #30

flavours

maltodextrin

silicon dioxide

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I don't see anything on that list that would worry me.

CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for the info.

I have been trying so hard to heal my body with natural things. The gas is becoming very debilitating. I am trying to introduce new foods because rice, chicken,avacado,multigrain bread,sweet potatoes and some soy yogurt are about all my body can tolerate.

I have also become hypoglycemic so I need to introduce green vegetables and other lower glycemic foods but the gas is so overwhelming I can't seem to tolerate anything new. The gas inflames my already inflamed stomach.

My theory is if I could slow down the gas I could I could introduce some new foods.

Do you think that theory is valid or will it interfere with the healing process?

Also, I am newly diagnosed celiac. I live in Oshawa. Do you know of any good doctors that understand celiac in this area?

cheerio

CynthiaST

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

When you eat veggies, do you cook them down? I mean cook them for hours? Like in a gumbo or stew or crockpot?

I'd also seperate veggies and fruits into classes - leafy greens, cruciferous, night shades and try them by category. That can clue you in to class intolerances.

There is a list of gluten free medications: Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

I am newly diagnosed celiac. I live in Oshawa. Do you know of any good doctors that understand celiac in this area?

cheerio

CynthiaST

Although I am not far from Oshawa, I don't know the area. I'm about 40 minutes drive time from Bloor & Simcoe. Ironically, I will be in Oshawa very briefly this evening.
CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi pricklypear1971,

I've tried making them into soups and the soups give me terrible gas. I've tried avoiding cruciferous but even the leafy ones give me problems.

My naturapath believes I have an ulcer and perhaps ulcers in my colon. I am waiting for the results from the biopsy but it won't be ready until Jan21 Grrrrhhh!

I think with all of the stomach acid and the gas it is just constantly re-inflaming itself.

I had to change my diet so radically a few days ago because of the hypoglycemia. The white rice definitely was more soothing. I had to let that go because of the hypoglycemia. Also, I was drinking rice milk which not only had gluten but 11 grams of sugar per cup and that was very soothing. That had to go. I did not catch that because for awhile my main focus has been to gain weight.

Those were my staples. Now it seems everything I eat sets it off. My stomach has a life of it's own. It is not playing nice with me. Introducing all of the nuts and seeds has not been easy on it. I thought i would prioritize with the proteins because of the hypoglycemia.

I feel like I sound totally neurotic.It is so frustrating. Before this celiac thing I grew all my own vegetables, baked bread and thought I had a really healthy lifestyle. Now I can't eat a leaf of lettuce. Totally weird! Somebody upstairs needs to upgrade these bodies in a quick painless way.

I know so may of the celiac symptoms are the RESULT of the vitamin deficiencies, especially the inflammation. I feel like I am in a trap. The foods and supplements I need, in my body, cause an inflammation. That's why sometimes I think, if could find something , to reduce the inflammation even short term so I could get my body used to some of the supplements and necessary foods.

My naturapath recommends that I do a cabbage juice treatment. There are a lot of documented results curing ulcers and GERD with the juice of cabbage. A lot of naturapaths  recommend that  treatment. I have been putting it off because I know it can cause gas in the beginning. I've been trying to reduce my gas attacks before I started it but I think I will go ahead with it now.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

I do truly appreciate it.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi psawyer,

I hope you have a great evening.

I wish you a safe drive in all of this ice.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CynthiaSt Rookie

Well, I guess Gas-X is out. It has a history of TRIGGERING hypoglycemia.

Back to the drawing board. I guess I will have to stick to fennel tea.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Okay, in what form are you eating nuts and seeds? Butters/spreads?

Have you tried almond milk? Also, you can make almond or rice milk at home (and I assume control the added sugar).

Have you tried almond or coconut flours? A few bites of a basic scone or muffin (flour, soda, sweetener - fruit?, egg) is fibrous and high protein. I swear flours are easier to digest than butters.

If chicken or other meats don't bother you try using those in the interim. If rice is the only thing your body likes, then I'd eat it - just smaller volume.

Is the kefir still agreeing with you? What about broth? I don't remember what the scd/gaps does in the beginning but have you tried that protocol?

And there's soluble and insoluble fiber (if the fiber is an issue). I'd try the soluble ones first???

Open Original Shared Link

"Soluble fiber is found in food such as apples, oranges, pears, beans, oats and lentils.

Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water; it adds bulk to waste matter to help it move through the gut. It is found in whole-grain foods, brown rice, barley, broccoli, cabbage, nuts and seeds."

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Cynthia,

Try some peppermint tea or peppermint Altoids for the gas.  If you try the Altoids, check they are gluten-free in Canada, I'm not sure about that.  They are gluten-free in the USA though.  Peppermint relaxes the stomach muscles and makes it easier to burp gas out.  Or belch if you prefer.

Looking at your foods list, I see you are eating some kind of multigrain bread?  And soy yogurt?  Ifn' I wuz you, and I ain't, I would cut those items out of my diet for a month and see if there is an improvement.  Soy is another name for poison IMHO, and can cause problems in the gut for baby rats.  I used to have a link for that research, but you can prolly find it if you search the webs.

Multigrain bread sounds like it has a lot of ingredients.  gluten-free breads use gums sometimes to help them stick together and rise.  Those gums are not agreeable to some people's bellies.

I hope you feel better soon.  Remember you can eat as much of the safe foods for you as you want.  It may get boring but that is better than being sick.  And once you are healing it will be easier to add foods back in.

Some natural treatments for h.pylori are DGL and mastic gum,

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I suggest a really good probiotic to get some good bacteria back in your gut.  Bean Zyme (the gluten-free, cheaper version of Beano) also works well.  As for veggies, try blanching them but I would not suggest cooking them to death because that takes most of the nutrients out of them.

CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi,

I apologize for not replying. I am up in Canada where we have been enjoying a major ice storm and lots of power outages.

Will be back soon.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Archived