This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Funny Story - Christmas Eve & Church

Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen Explorer

So, my MIL and I have been having some issues lately.  Mainly it's because I don't live my life exactly the way she thinks I should and don't agree with everything she says :D But we did have a nice Christmas holiday together.  I did have to share this funny story though.

We went to Christmas Eve service at her church.  She lives in a small town and everyone at church knows everyone else.  They were serving communion at the service.  At my home church, I am in charge of serving the gluten free communion to the 4 of us who are gluten intolerant.  But I knew they wouldn't have gluten free communion at her church, so I just sat in my seat during the communion.  When she came back from getting her bread and juice, she said to me, "You should have gone up there.  If you didn't want communion you could have let the pastor know and he would have just blessed you.  Now everyone probably thinks you are an atheist since you didn't go up there."  I responded, "Well, God knows I'm not an atheist."

So which is worse, being a Celiac who can't take communion or having everyone at church think I am an Atheist?  I thought it was pretty funny.  I could care less what everyone else thought about my not going up to communion.  This is one of the reasons we clash.  She lives in a small town and is very much about keeping up appearances with everyone.  I could care less what everyone thinks of me.

It was also funny that Christmas dinner was pretty much a Celiac's nightmare.  She saved out some ham and cheese grits for me.  Everything else was filled with gluten - ham and biscuits, sausage balls, pigs in a blanket, sweet roll, cookies, rum cake.  There was not a vegetable to be found and everything had gluten in it. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

It's a MIL's job to create issues.  :lol: Mine was extra-special  good at it. God rest her soul.

I hope you brought yourself some extra food. 

As for what "people may think about you not receiving communion" well, this makes me laugh out loud.

This is the main thing about pretentious pious people that both amuses and annoys me...they can be judgmental and the 

"judge not,  lest ye be judged! " rule and "kindness to our fellow brethren" always seems to escape them.

I gave my Mom a pyx so she carries her own G F wafer to church--and it can travel with her, too.

Her RCC does not provide them for the faithful few who are G F. A 500 -count box costs very little, but nope. Not going to do it for them. Yet, my mother gives liberally to the basket every week. 

I have a problem with hypocrisy, as you can probably tell.  :lol:

You could always get a pyx and bring your own wafer and stun the crowd with your "special-ness" next year.  ;) If I were in your shoes, I'd do it just for the sheer pleasure it would bring me to see my MIL's face as it would probably be struck with awe. ..... (but that's just IMHO)  LOL.

killernj13 Enthusiast

If you were an Atheist why would you be at Mass?  LOL

IrishHeart Veteran

true, but some people go so their relatives will stop harping on it. LOL

(not in CQ's case, of course)

Celtic Queen Explorer

Yeah, that's I wanted to tell her.  If I was an atheist I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, next year I'll definitely bring my own.  It didn't occur to me that there would be communion.  We're Methodists, so we don't always do communion on Christmas Eve.  But I buy the gluten-free communion for our church and can grab one next year for sure.  I can't wait to see the look on her face.

IrishHeart Veteran

Yeah, that's I wanted to tell her.  If I was an atheist I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, next year I'll definitely bring my own.  It didn't occur to me that there would be communion.  We're Methodists, so we don't always do communion on Christmas Eve.  But I buy the gluten-free communion for our church and can grab one next year for sure.  I can't wait to see the look on her face.

That's the spirit!  :D

Juliebove Rising Star

I am an atheist and I have gone to church.  Even Mass.  I used to go with my MIL.  I did not take communion but at her church I could not!  Some churches do not let you take it if you are not a member.

I did take my daughter to church once at her request.  This particular church passed little glasses of grape juice and bits of bread.  Gluten is not an issue for me but dairy and eggs are and bread is notorious for having dairy in it.  Some has eggs.  So no way was I going to eat it.  I also did not want to drink the juice because I am diabetic.  I had hoped to be able to take just a small sip of the juice but unlike the church where I went as a kid, they did not send the tray back around for the empties.  We had to put it in a holder in front of us.  So I did drink it and put it there.  I just kept the bread squeezed between my fingers until we were done.  Then raced to the bathroom to dispose of it and washed my hands.

Daughter was mortified at what I did but...  I wasn't expecting communion.  This wasn't a church I was familiar with.  My old chuch only did it once a month.  Apparently this one did it weekly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 11 months later...
celiacmom55 Newbie

Mother in laws are good at finding fault with their daughter in laws.  Mine was a pro.  My kids cannot take communion in church when they are home, but then again I haven't discussed it with the priest either. But even if they did have a gluten free option, if it was kept in the same plate as the glutenous wafer, they couldn't have it.  I am not confident the priest is well informed on cross contamination issues.   Unless you or a family member are dealing with gluten issues, you probably don't understand all that is involved.

notme Experienced

we were out of town for Christmas this year.  normally, we go to our 'home' church Christmas eve candle light service and they serve communion.  so, i found a church close to our daughter/son-in-law's home, and i called to see if they (methodist, the service is basically the same for most united methodist churches) were going to be serving communion.  the nice young man checked and said, yes, they were.  i asked if i could bring my own bread because i can't eat regular bread.  his response was:  they are wafers (lolz) so, it's not bread.  i should be fine (ok, so, i'm bringing my own bread, lolz) next i asked about the 'wine' juice - what do they serve it from (my church has individual tiny glasses they fill with grape juice, so, i'm good at home - our pastor just blesses my bread and we are good)  he told me they serve it in a cup that everyone dips their bread into.  (i can't get around that one...  )  i was like mleh, maybe i just won't go up.  he's like NO!  COME UP!   i smiled to myself, because the Lord's table is open to everyone who seeks to have atonement with Jesus.  ok, i say, see you later.  what was your name, young man?  angel, he tells me  :)  of course it is  :)

so, this is what i did.  i took my bread up with me, surprised the wafer bearer with my own bread (ha i winked at her lolz) and then i made like i was dipping as i told the cup bearer "fake!"  lolz  - everyone gave me a confused smile, and all was well.  if you want communion, you can make it happen.  it's between you and God.  also, it was very nice to be able to feel at home even though i was far away from mine :)

i hope everyone had a very merry Christmas!!

Archived