This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eheadings

Eheadings Newbie

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum. 

I recently went gluten free (it's been about a week and a half) because of some stomach issues and migraines. I thought gluten might be connected, so I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made me feel better. Before cutting out gluten, I did an Advocare cleanse for 24ish days, and didn't eat many gluten filled foods during that time. 

Long story short- I feel SO much better already. The very dull pain i've always had in my intestinal area is completely gone, which has never happened. I know it hasn't been long, but I am also not going to the restroom as much (used to go 2-3 times a day). 

So now I'm reading the forums, and I am kicking myself for cutting out gluten before I was tested for Celiac. With the cleanse and going completely gluten free, I'm not sure how accurate the tests would be.  I absolutely hate my doctor, and was hoping to find a new one, which is why I didn't go in the first place before cutting out gluten myself. So my question is... If I call and schedule an apt for blood work, how long do I need to be eating gluten first? Also- what should I ask for? Just a celiac blood test?

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has already been tremendously informative and helpful. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum. 

I recently went gluten free (it's been about a week and a half) because of some stomach issues and migraines. I thought gluten might be connected, so I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made me feel better. Before cutting out gluten, I did an Advocare cleanse for 24ish days, and didn't eat many gluten filled foods during that time. 

Long story short- I feel SO much better already. The very dull pain i've always had in my intestinal area is completely gone, which has never happened. I know it hasn't been long, but I am also not going to the restroom as much (used to go 2-3 times a day). 

So now I'm reading the forums, and I am kicking myself for cutting out gluten before I was tested for Celiac. With the cleanse and going completely gluten free, I'm not sure how accurate the tests would be.  I absolutely hate my doctor, and was hoping to find a new one, which is why I didn't go in the first place before cutting out gluten myself. So my question is... If I call and schedule an apt for blood work, how long do I need to be eating gluten first? Also- what should I ask for? Just a celiac blood test?

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has already been tremendously informative and helpful. 

Open Original Shared Link

How much gluten should be consumed prior to being screened for celiac disease?

It’s best to continue a normal, gluten-containing diet before being screened and diagnosed. If a gluten-free diet has been followed for more than a few weeks, then we recommend eating at least 1 serving of gluten (1/2 slice of bread or a cracker, for example) every day for 12 weeks prior to a blood test and 2 weeks prior to a biopsy. This is often referred to as a “gluten challenge” and should be done under the care of a medical professional.

eers03 Explorer

The gluten challenge...  12 weeks...  Pretty sure mine was 12 years :-)  Having an official diagnosis is totally worth it if indeed you have celiac disease.  Good luck with things.

Archived