This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free Girl Scout Cookies - Horrible!

sschevychevelle

mommida Enthusiast

We can rag about any product, or situation here.  (As long as you aren't making a personal attack to a member/poster.) ;)

It really doesn't matter what the cookies taste like.  If a scout asks me to buy cookies, I buy cookies.  It is really nice to have the "For the Troupes" option.  Grab a box for a local packing party of care boxes for service men and women.  (My nephew did 3 tours and he loved getting care boxes!  It is a connection to home, "Girl Scout Cookie Time is a sign that spring is coming.)  I have just donated a few $ straight to the scout troupe that cuts out the "organization costs".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I haven't checked yet to see if I'm in an area where we'll have them. And no matter how much I b%$@# and complain that they didn't do thin mints (and I won't stop either until I get them without making them myself) I'll still buy the cookies when I see them. I won't even stop to think about it. Just bam, done, cookies. I mean, it's Girl Scout cookies! Even if they suck I know a bunch of people at church I could pawn them off on and know where my money went so I won't feel bad. And samoas were my second favorite, I'd be nearly as happy to see those gluten free. I think just like everyone else, I'd plow through an entire row of whatever kind I was eating then be like uh... oops. :ph34r::lol:

cap6 Enthusiast

Well, here's my two cents....  They're a cookie.  Sort of like the chips Ahoy (if I remember correctly!  ).  I rarely eat that processed stuff any more but bought them as they are Girl Scouts.  That said, hmm... they are ok.  A cookie.  And I will say even if they aren't the best and they aren't Thin Mints, well, at least the G.S. is making a try and so good for them!  I noticed that they even have vegan cookies so they are making an attempt to keep up with all of the changing food needs.  Kudos to Girl Scouts for making the effort and if they afre successful, as the years go by, perhaps they will improve.  Think back on some of the nasty G.F. offerings we had just a few years ago and look at what is available NOW!

• 2 weeks later...
Lizzo Newbie

I don't usually eat processed foods, but I recently saw some really good things about the Girls Scouts that made me want to support them. So regardless of whether they are good or not, and regardless of the fact that they don't have thin mints (IMHO the ONLY way to eat minty chocolate)... I want to buy some!!! If anything, I'll just crumble my candy-cigarette-cookies on top of a sugar-free compote or something. Now I just need to find myself a girl scout....

GottaSki Mentor

Tried to buy them in San Diego...we are not one of the test markets...I'm told Riverside was the closest test market in SoCal.

The cookie mom I spoke with said she has had several requests for them so hopefully next year they'll carry them nationwide.

I think I may dash off an email to request gluten-free thin mints....I sent an email my first year gluten-free to request gluten-free cookies...guessing I'm not the only one ;)  shoulda been more specific.

IrishHeart Veteran

My sister somehow found them in Arlington, Mass. (must be near one of the test markets)  and gave them to my G F mom. She said "they're good with tea". :)

They made her happy. She did not elaborate on how good, but if they passed her test, they must be pretty good. 

GottaSki Mentor

Been meaning to post this ....  while nothing matches Thin Mints... these Brownies come very close to the Thin Mint flavor -- certainly helped me thru a few post dx Girl Scout Cookie seasons :)

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
stereofidelic89 Newbie

I currently reside in Georgia for grad-school, where troops do not carry the gluten-free cookie. So, I went on e-bay, all curious and wide-eyed, and ordered a box for $6.99. 

The cookies arrived in an unfamiliar zip-top package, different to the typical packaging of Girl Scout Cookies.

The cover photo is misleading. I didn't expect a crumbly, messy, crumb covered cookie that tasted like imitation cookie dough often used in ice cream products. 

I have a difficult time believing that a team actually spent 'time' on this cookie, because my memory of the once delicious girls scout cookies (thin mins, samoas, patties) has gone to s$#&. 

I would be happy to recommend many, many, MANY other brands of cookies that do it well gluten-free.

However, this is a big leap for Girl Scout Cookies, and the goal was to make a statement, that Girl Scouts should consider allergen friendly options, and i'm happy they did. Bravo, Girl Scouts, you're half-way there. Now fix my cookie please ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Last week I finally saw some Girl Scouts out and hadn't checked online to see if we were a test area, I figured I would just ask if they had them when I saw girls selling them. So I walked up and asked, and one of the moms looked at me like I had two heads, a tail, and was going to kidnap and eat their children. I walked off in a huff. Jerks.

So I checked online and my mom is in a test area. I think I'll just make her mail me a box. HAH!

sschevychevelle Newbie

THANK YOU stereofidelic89 for backing me up on this.  After a barrage of responses talking about how great the cookies were and someone repeatedly saying that I'm just expecting too much of gluten free cookies because I'm newly gluten free, it's good to hear there is someone else out there who is not lying to protect their daughter's cookie sales or just has broken taste buds.  

This was me after reading others' comments about how good the cookies were: 

I'm guessing someone will probably respond now and say that you must have gotten a fake bag of gluten-free girl scout cookies, but in reading your comment, I assure you those are them.  Extremely fine and crumbly, tastes fake and incredibly sweet.  

But again, I'm not trying to make a statement against the girl scouts, they are an awesome organization.  I'm just disappointed in their cookie, since everything else they make is so delicious AND since it doesn't seem that difficult to make a good gluten free cookie (Udi's, Pamela's, etc.)  

I currently reside in Georgia for grad-school, where troops do not carry the gluten-free cookie. So, I went on e-bay, all curious and wide-eyed, and ordered a box for $6.99. 

The cookies arrived in an unfamiliar zip-top package, different to the typical packaging of Girl Scout Cookies.

The cover photo is misleading. I didn't expect a crumbly, messy, crumb covered cookie that tasted like imitation cookie dough often used in ice cream products. 

I have a difficult time believing that a team actually spent 'time' on this cookie, because my memory of the once delicious girls scout cookies (thin mins, samoas, patties) has gone to s$#&. 

I would be happy to recommend many, many, MANY other brands of cookies that do it well gluten-free.

However, this is a big leap for Girl Scout Cookies, and the goal was to make a statement, that Girl Scouts should consider allergen friendly options, and i'm happy they did. Bravo, Girl Scouts, you're half-way there. Now fix my cookie please ;)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

THANK YOU stereofidelic89 for backing me up on this.  After a barrage of responses talking about how great the cookies were and someone repeatedly saying that I'm just expecting too much of gluten free cookies because I'm newly gluten free, it's good to hear there is someone else out there who is not lying to protect their daughter's cookie sales or just has broken taste buds.  

This was me after reading others' comments about how good the cookies were: 

I'm guessing someone will probably respond now and say that you must have gotten a fake bag of gluten-free girl scout cookies, but in reading your comment, I assure you those are them.  Extremely fine and crumbly, tastes fake and incredibly sweet.  

But again, I'm not trying to make a statement against the girl scouts, they are an awesome organization.  I'm just disappointed in their cookie, since everything else they make is so delicious AND since it doesn't seem that difficult to make a good gluten free cookie (Udi's, Pamela's, etc.)  

This description sounds a lot like some cookies I picked up at my local store that they were carrying for Passover. The brand is Gefen, and I grabbed them because I tend to feel better when I eat entirely grain free, and they were relatively low sugar. They look a whole lot like Famous Amos cookies, although thicker, and they taste JUST like you describe the Girl Scout cookies. I wonder if the Girl Scout recipe is tapioca and potato starch based, as well. And I was also really dissappointed because I've had other starch-based products that were super tasty, the Absolutely Gluten Free crackers are amazing. So, who knows....

Edited to add: I just looked at the pictures of them on the ABC Bakers website, and boy do they

LOOK the same! Weird.

IrishHeart Veteran

whoa.! ...hold on a sec.... :) no one is "lying " on here "to protect their daughter's cookie sales" or has "broken taste buds". 

You have your opinion and others have theirs.  This is a forum and that's how it works. People can express an opinion without  the need for anyone being rude in response. 

And that's my opinion. :)  

kareng Grand Master

I found a picture of the packaging. They do look like a zip top type bag

Open Original Shared Link

Archived