This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fogo De Chao

GlutenFreeIsTheBest

GlutenFreeIsTheBest Rookie

More of a rant here, sorry.

This is a great place to eat gluten free for a once in a while treat, but some staff isn't as well educated as they advertise they are.

Today they are offering a discounted rate and a free dessert. Three of the desserts were obvious gluten items, but the 4th item, Flan, I wasn't familiar with. So because of my unfamiliarity with Flan I began asking questions.

Previously I was told creme brulee was gluten free. Any cook could tell you there is no gluten containing ingredients in a basic creme brulee recipe, but we all know the rule...always assume there is gluten because it's the ridiculous things sometimes. I've eaten the creme brulee once before with no reaction. 

So called to make a reservation and asked if they would kindly substitute since it was gluten free. They had to ask a manager. Then she came back and said the only thing gluten free is the sorbet. ARGH! Called the corporate office and they weren't overly helpful...talked to 3 different people before finding the ingredients, which are exactly what one would expect cream brulee to have. (sugar, cream, vanilla, eggs)

So just a word of caution you may get different answers.

The bread they have is SOOO good and it's gluten free naturally due to the Tapioca flour they use. Most other items are gluten free, minus a few things, and the manager will personally walk you around the entire salad bar and tell you what has gluten and WHY! Couldn't have been more shocked the first time I went and the manager points to these chopped greens that looked like chopped parsley and said that's not gluten free because we put a small amount of bulger wheat in it or you can't have the chicken because it's marinated in beer without needing to explain the entire celiac bible.

So overall it's a great place to eat out for a once in a while treat, but beware their training practices are not as good as advertised and will leave you worried about putting food in your mouth.

What they told me was gluten free:

* All meats, exceptions below

* Cheese bread - did I say OMG yet?

* Most items on salad bar

What they told me is not gluten free: (not listing the totally obvious things)

* Chicken because it's marinated in beer and sausage

* The sausage is not made in house and they won't disclose what spices they use. The real kicker is the sausage comes on skewers bumped right up against the chicken...so that doesn't work. I have been told they would make some sausage special away from the chicken, but again it's one thing they can't be for sure on...so I assume it's a flour stick.

* The finely chopped green salad w/ bulgar wheat

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Thanks for the info on them!   I have been thinking about trying them for our upcoming anniversary.  We have Texas de Brazil here, too and their offerings are very similar and if you get the right person they are very knowledgeable.  But OMG CHEESY BREAD!  I really want some now.  :)

Adalaide Mentor

Brazilian steakhouses are always my favorite for two reasons. The first is that nearly everything is gluten free. The second (and more important) is the bread. Fortunately for my husband's wallet, I have mastered the bread at home. :lol: I wish we had more of them around here, we only have two. But alas... I make do.

LauraTX Rising Star

I know Texas De Brazil is a chain, we only eat there with a coupon and we go to Sams Club and get a $100 gift card for $80.  They used to email out much better coupons like half off, but not anymore.  Now it is something like free dessert on your anniversary, Sun-thurs only.  Also, lunch prices are usually much cheaper and mostly the same items.  Can you tell I try to use any excuse to go eat there?  I need to check out Fogo de Chao and see if I can get discounts there, too.

I served the chebe cheese rolls at Thanksgiving and you would have thought I put crack on the table the way people were freaking out over them.  LOVE brazilian cheese rolls!

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I just saw this place advertised for the first time (on a commercial), and I'm glad to learn a little about it!  I love brazilian steak, so hopefully the commercial means we're getting one locally.  Do they have Caipirinhas?  And are they Gluten Free?

Archived