This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wierd Food Quirks

tonalynn

tonalynn Explorer

I'm sure everyone's got at least one. The kind of quirk that affects how and what you eat that has nothing to do with health, nutrition or disorder. C'mon, let's have a little fun with food! :-)

I'll start. For as long as I can remember, I absolutely can NOT tolerate...banana strings. Every time I peel or eat a banana, I have to search it thoroughly to make sure I won't eat one of the strings by accident. They don't taste any different, they won't hurt me I know. But the thought of eating one grosses me OUT!! I don't even like the feel of them on my fingers if they swing around and stick to them. EEEWWW! :blink:

Ok, who else out there is willing to admit to having this kind of weirdness?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I'm right there with you on banana strings! I've always had to peel them all off too. Not only that, but I won't eat a banana unless it has lots of salt on it. My grandfather taught me to salt them when I was a little kid and they are really good that way. Once when I was working in an ice cream shop I saw one of my customers salting the banana on her banana split. I said, "Hey! I thought I was the only one who did that!" And you know what? She told me HER grandfather taught her to do that!

shadowicewolf Proficient

what about watermelon with salt on it?

Adalaide Mentor

Since I was little I've always eaten one food on my plate at a time, then moved on to the next one. Apparently this is a trait my uncle has as well. I also always ate my things like Lucky Charms a particular way, the cereal first, then each type of marshmallow one at a time. Fruit Loops were one color at a time. Things like that. I started before I can remember. I remember even at 3 or 4 I'd go hungry if I had to rather than break my habit if my mom was dragging me out of the house. I still eat my foods one at a time, not sure why and I don't do it on purpose. I tried to break the habit once but it was uncomfortable to do and it isn't hurting anything so I just eat how I eat.

Also, I like to salt my melons of all types. I learned it from my grandfather. :D

tonalynn Explorer

I'm not much for salt, so I've never tried it on fruit. The only thing I've ever added salt to is cottage cheese.

I eat (or ate) Lucky Charms the exact same way! In the 80's there was Pac Man cereal, the habit started with that. It made the "fun" last longer to eat it that way. :-)

When I was a kid, I refused to eat mixed-up foods like a vegetable medley, peas & carrots, that kind of thing. The picture I had in my head of how your stomach was set up was a vast and complicated set of "compartments" for each food. If I ate two mixed foods, the compartments couldn't separate them, so that's how you got a stomachache. Oddly enough, there were compartments for pizza, soup, waffles with butter and syrup, but not things like salad. Go figure..... :-)

nvsmom Community Regular

Before I quit dairy I used to like to put cottage cheese onto hot, cooked veggies - the cheese would melt and get all gooey... Yum. I know a lot of people eat cottage cheese with fruit but that just seems odd to me.  LOL

bartfull Rising Star

I LOVE cottage cheese! And like you, I don't like it with fruit. I was never crazy about pasta so if I was having spaghetti sauce I would heat the sauce (but not TOO hot) and pour it over cottage cheese. I also prefer cottage cheese instead of salad dressing. And when I used to live where I could get edible fish and chips, I always asked for a side of cottage cheese instead of cole slaw.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CaliSparrow Collaborator

Since I was little I've always eaten one food on my plate at a time, then moved on to the next one. Apparently this is a trait my uncle has as well. I also always ate my things like Lucky Charms a particular way, the cereal first, then each type of marshmallow one at a time. Fruit Loops were one color at a time. Things like that. I started before I can remember. I remember even at 3 or 4 I'd go hungry if I had to rather than break my habit if my mom was dragging me out of the house. I still eat my foods one at a time, not sure why and I don't do it on purpose. I tried to break the habit once but it was uncomfortable to do and it isn't hurting anything so I just eat how I eat.

Me too! I would eat in order starting with the healthiest. As a teenager, I also would divide my M&Ms by color and start with the smallest pile first. I used to also get very upset if my food groups touched each other. My mom tried buying me a plate with dividers once but I was insulted. Ha!

Once I hit my Tweens, I also had to eat an even number of items and sip an even number of sips. This remained until I changed my diet, ahem, and my OCD resolved! Now there's nothing better than three pieces of bacon! :P

• 2 weeks later...
Fenrir Community Regular

I didn't know this until I got married but the wife pointed out that I eat one item at a time in a clockwise way.

I also have issues with textures of food. Eggs make me gag.

Adalaide Mentor

I didn't know this until I got married but the wife pointed out that I eat one item at a time in a clockwise way.

I also have issues with textures of food. Eggs make me gag.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've never paid attention to whether or not I have a direction but I'm curious now.

My husband is a huge texture freak. It's a real challenge feeding him sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I LOVE runny egg yolks, on toast and homefries and whatever else, and my boyfriend

thinks it's the most disgusting thing ever ingested by man hahahahahah!!!

Archived