• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
carolynmay

Humaworm? Other Parasite Cleanse?

Rate this topic

Dear all,

I want to do a parasite cleanse - for a few fairly sensible reasons.

However, I am super sensitive and struggling to find one which does not have grain alcohol (which I cannot tolerate).

Humaworm has come up as one that seems to be very well rated and does not contain alcohol.  However when I asked them a bit earlier today if it is gluten free the response clearly indicated that the product is not actually tested and they don't ask the vendors of the raw materials whether these are gluten free either.

I just wondered - does anyone "super sensitive" have experience of using Humaworm without issues?

Alternatively, has anyone used a good parasite cleanse product which has not given them problems gluten wise?  I also bought Paragone before realising that again, there is grain-based alcohol in the "part 2" of the product so that is out.

Thanks so much for any help with this.

Best wishes,

Carolyn

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I am having a hard time understanding what a possible sensible reason for doing a parasite cleanse could be.

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/colon-cleansing-no-benefit-and-dangerous/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/colon-cleanses-a-load-of-you-know-what/

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html

I think that unregulated materials involved in such a cleanse could pose a problem for a super sensitive celiac.

Does a doctor think you have a parasite? There are prescription meds (some only available through the CDC) that target specific parasites. Of course there are OTC drugs for pin worms. Our preschool once got infected. What makes you think it is parasites? Where have you traveled?

I would not advise a cleanse without a doctor's supervision.

I have had Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia Lamblia in the past (picked up in Malaysia). Both were treated with antibiotics - apparently successfully - but then "triggered off" celiac disease.

I have never really been well since infection with these parasites and I am interested in the increasing school of thought that auto-immune disease may in fact have parasites as their root cause. I have seen a number of anecdotal reports of UC resolving after parasite cleanses for example.  A gluten free diet has absolutely not solved all my issues by any stretch of the imagination.

We worm dogs on a regular basis and a lot of people online appear to do regular parasite cleanses with spectacular effects - not just in terms of what they expel but in terms of how they feel afterwards.  Hence my interest..

I

We worm dogs on a regular basis and a lot of people online appear to do regular parasite cleanses with spectacular effects - not just in terms of what they expel but in terms of how they feel afterwards. Hence my interest..

That's because they eat worm infested poops! I hope that isn't your issue! :). But, actually, dogs aren't de- wormed on a regular basis unless they have worms in their poop. It is unnecessary and harmful to do it to dogs for no reason.

Ads by Google:

If a dog is on regular monthly heartworm prevention(ivermectin) they are wormed for heartworms (Not a GI parasite) and roundworms/hookworms/whipworms. Pyrantel pamoate is the GI deworming agent that is commonly used. Puppies are born with roundworms as they get it from mom from milk due to hormonal surge to cause larvae to grow.You can purchase HW prevention without the pyrantel pamoate, such as Heartgard versus Heartgard Plus which has the GI deworming agent, too. Most GI parasites are transmitted via FECAL-ORAL route. So if you aren't exposed to food that has parasites in it... you probably don't need a monthly dewormer. That's my 2 cents on that topic.

If a dog is on regular monthly heartworm prevention(ivermectin) they are wormed for heartworms (Not a GI parasite) and roundworms/hookworms/whipworms. Pyrantel pamoate is the GI deworming agent that is commonly used. Puppies are born with roundworms as they get it from mom from milk due to hormonal surge to cause larvae to grow.You can purchase HW prevention without the pyrantel pamoate, such as Heartgard versus Heartgard Plus which has the GI deworming agent, too. Most GI parasites are transmitted via FECAL-ORAL route. So if you aren't exposed to food that has parasites in it... you probably don't need a monthly dewormer. That's my 2 cents on that topic.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was only thinking GI worms in my answer.  I hope the OP doesn't have heart worms!   :o

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Marcos

• Topics

• Don't go gluten free until you find out if they want you to get an endoscopy which they should schedule. Eat gluten every single day until the endoscopy is done. 
    • Hi Johno,  fellow brit here. Crappy uk medical experience is par for the course unfortunately where this is concerned, so don't expect too much help from that sphere. Although with a positive diagnosis you should be eligible for dietician advice and monitoring of nutrient levels.  First, 4 month in is still early days. If you have cracked the diet and are not suffering cross contamination (v easily done) then you still have at least 2 and maybe 8 months of healing to come. So it's little early yet to be thinking that your celiac isn't responding to he diet.  1. Sleep issues. You don't mention what these are, but yes, celiac is definitely linked to sleep disorders. In fact it's linked with just about everything due to the way it impacts the body. Almost all systems can be affected. You may also find if the sleep issues are neurological in origin that they will be the last to go on the diet. I find neuro symptoms are the first symptom and last to go. Note also that although Gastrointestinal is commonly percieved as the major celiac presenting symptom, this isn't the case. So your not alone in not having major tummy issues.  It's not caused by mentality but it sure as hell affects it.  2. How long have you got? I tested negative so I'm in the ncgs category and some won't even accept that my condition exists. Even understanding of celiac is still developing. Research is ongoing as is levels of incidence. It's up 4 times since the 1950s so something is going on, better testing is perhaps revealing more. you have positive diagnosis, so you have good evidence to keep you strict on the diet. Eat as well as you can. Try to keep gluten free processed foods to  minimum  and eat fresh whole foods where possible. Treat this first 6 months as a one off healing period and help your body as much as possible. Take some good quality supplements, regardless of what the tests are saying. B complex, magnesium and a multivitamin are a good safety net if nothing else.  Read the newbie thread on this site and double check your kitchen etc for possible cross contamination sources. Could be seasoning, shared butter etc. You need to develop a sense of vigilance about this whilst staying on the right side of paranoia! finally, a warm welcome to a good site  
    • A freshly baked roll is as delightful as a soft, fluffy cloud on a summer's day. What gives bread much of its appealing texture is gluten, a group of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley. But in people with a serious autoimmune disorder called celiac disease, gluten damages the small intestine. View the full article
    • This disease is like a chameleon and seems to change symptoms on people and everyone is a bit different, heck some have no symptoms til it almost kills them with secondary issues like cancer, lymphoma, rupturing the intestines etc.
      I did not have ht classic D but constipation, I also had a bunch of other signs that I had grown into and considered normal. My big thing was neurological side of it. I had gluten ataxia where it attacked my brain and nervous system compounded by b vitamin deficiency, I had learned about the magnesium deficiency months earlier and was supplementing for that part of it. Anyway my health was getting bad, tired, random gut pains, brain looping on the same thought over and over driving me mad, bouts of anger and rage. I was running a bucket list before they got it diagnosed.
      Wish it was done earlier my immune system developed other issues like corn allergies, bunch of intolerance then years later learned I had also developed Ulcerative Colitis.

There are some mental aspects to it, one part is the effects of vitamin deficiency like the b-vitamins, can be very detrimental to you mental health. Various others have cumulative effects or require others nutrients to work right. SO you have to find your balance and supplement til you heal, or sometimes for life. 

There is also odd fight or flight responses I have noticed from me and others, your body starts to associate gluten and certain foods with discomfort, once off them starting to smell them or thing they might have contaminated your food brings out a panic like fight or flight as you subconsciously attribute that smell, thought, food, etc. with pain and discomfort.

This disease is really not well understood, contradicitve....hell it is the only disease where you have to poison yourself to the point of causing major damage for them to learn you have it.....like "Here eat this poison so we can see if it makes you sick, but you have to be really sick for us to know it is this poison that makes you sick as it only effects some people"
    • I just quoted a little part but really much of your experiences could be mine. I won't bore you with it all, but chest pains came from 19, herniated disk came at 21, followed by 20 years of sciatic back pain. Depression at or about the same time. Brain fog little later. There was lots more, primarily neurological. Internally I expected to die in my 30s or maybe reach 40.  Nothing shifted any of it until I changed my diet and inadvertently reduced my gluten consumption. I went back on gluten for testing, confident I'd found my cause only to test negative. I did keep a diary however and that helped me and my consultant decide that gluten was off the menu for life.  Couple of things which may be helpful. There is more than one blood test. You may find that one of the others works for you. I never got them all and wonder sometimes if I would have tested positive on another one. You can post your results here if you would like some help in interpreting them. you mentions feeling relief when you ate less gluten. Are you sure you were eating it up to the test? Removing it may have altered the results. Finally, once testing is complete, go properly gluten free even if you tested negative on scope and blood. For some people, they test negative but still react. That could be you and give how closely some of my symptoms match to yours it may be the case. best of luck, you will find this site full of support and useful info. You are not alone in this. matt  
  • Upcoming Events