This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Home Made Sushi Questions

CajunChic

CajunChic Explorer

I'm dying for safe (cooked) sushi! The places around me are not accommodating, so as we all know, if you want something-you have to make it yourself! I'm having the hardest time trying to find crab sticks without wheat starch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what sauces have you made that are close to the real things? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Afraid you'll have to use real crab,  the sticks and  kameboko are all made with wheat except for one company in Hiroshima but I've never see those outside of Japan.   You can usually buy frozen crab legs  which when thawed are very nice.  Have you practice making rice? its good to practice making it  with the right  combo of vinegar and sugar.   what other dishes are you trying to make?

I'm dying for safe (cooked) sushi! The places around me are not accommodating, so as we all know, if you want something-you have to make it yourself! I'm having the hardest time trying to find crab sticks without wheat starch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what sauces have you made that are close to the real things? Thanks!!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Do you have a sushi mat yet? Homemade sushi is so much easier to make right with a sushi mat. And they're inexpensive--less than $3 at our Oriental store. :)

CajunChic Explorer

Thanks for the advice! Guess I'll break down and buy the real crab legs. I'm wanting to make my favorite crab, shrimp, avocado, and mango rolls. I'd love to make a sauce similar to eel sauce. I love the sweet and savory contrast. I will be purchasing the mats and whatever else I need because sushi is my one true grievance since going gluten-free. Please share your experience with making rice or anything!

LauraTX Rising Star

If you have to buy fresh crab legs a lot of seafood counters will steam them for you for free.  The only time I have made sushi is with my japanese friend.  Check out youtube, there are some good cooking videos on there.  I can't track down the name but there is a Chinese guy who posts videos of traditional cuisine and that is where I learned how to make my own chinese takeout.

CajunChic Explorer

Good to know! I'll be doing more research! Just wanted the gluten-free experts' opinions first

kenlove Rising Star

the eel sauce is basically sweet teriyaki sometimes  with  rive vinegar or other sauce mixed in. the best sauces  are made using raw brown sugar from okinawa.  with  rice   once it s cooked  you mix vinegar and  sugar to get the taste you like. You can  try  rice vinegar instead of white vinegar.   you do need ot be careful of powdered wasabi as it is not all gluten free.  read the ingredients carefully.

Thanks for the advice! Guess I'll break down and buy the real crab legs. I'm wanting to make my favorite crab, shrimp, avocado, and mango rolls. I'd love to make a sauce similar to eel sauce. I love the sweet and savory contrast. I will be purchasing the mats and whatever else I need because sushi is my one true grievance since going gluten-free. Please share your experience with making rice or anything!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CajunChic Explorer

Thanks so much, kenlove!

kenlove Rising Star

sure, let me know if you run into any trouble. I'm vegan and celiac  but I trained as a chef in japan about 30 years ago.

A lot of it is by taste and once your used to it you'll see that no 2   chefs use the same recipes, especially for the rice. 

good luck!

Thanks so much, kenlove!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Be sure to use rice that sticks together well. I use Lundberg Farms sushi rice for my sushi.

kenlove Rising Star

Good point about the rice.  We used Kukuho Rose at the restaurant in Chicago, NIshiki was 2nd choice. I use lundberg sometimes but am spoiled since I spend a lot of time in Japan and usually bring shimai (new) rice home with me. 

Be sure to use rice that sticks together well. I use Lundberg Farms sushi rice for my sushi.

CajunChic Explorer

I just bought Nishiki, I'll let you know how it goes

!

this thread is the BEST

thank you lmcdoiron for open it

So glad I was helpful

CajunChic Explorer

A lot of it is by taste and once your used to it you'll see that no 2   chefs use the same recipes, especially for the rice. 

good luck!

Made my sushi finally and was quite impressed! I see what you meant by experimenting with the rice, I have a few adjustments to make. Again, thank you for the advice!

kenlove Rising Star

I like making vegan sushi, once you get the rice down, try tops with blanched  ultra thin slice of carrot. slice portobello mushroom, tomato, zucchini -- anything really-- it all goes great with sushi rice

Archived