This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It Was Supposed To Be Over At Gluten Free! Help :(

AnnaChristine18

kareng Grand Master

No of course not, I look at every single labe of everything i eat (and i don't eat very much processed foods) if it says anything along the lines of "Was manufactured on the same equipment as wheat" I'm not going to be stupid. It ISN'T cross contamination.

There is no legal requirement for that statement.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dilettantesteph Collaborator

In other words, the item can be processed in a shared facility even if the statement is not there.  You would need to look online or contact the company to find out for sure.  I really was not trying to say that you are stupid.  The thing about cross contamination is that some celiacs react to lower levels of cross contamination than others.  Here is a study with people that improved with a diet of whole unprocessed foods.  The flours that you use would be considered processed.  Open Original Shared Link

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

I don't know if this helps but I just wanted to say that you're not alone when it comes to being sick enough to have to stay home and deal with being kept from doing the things you used to be able to do out in the world. I'm in the same boat and it is so frustrating.

Just know that this is a temporary phase of your recovery. You will bounce back and be better. It sounds like you are trying really hard to do the right things. Honestly it just takes time, even if you are doing the right things. I don't think it is helpful for anyone to have told you that you will be well in a matter of a few months. The length of time it takes is different for everyone.

If you can, try to make peace with the process of getting well, and try your best not to expect to see results in any particular time frame. Keeping stress to a minimum is as important as anything else you are doing toward feeling better. The more you can relax and go with it, the faster you will heal. I'm not suggesting it's easy to do that, but it will help.

You are making progress every day even if it doesn't seem like it. You will get through this and get back to being able to enjoy your life more again. Hang in there. It will happen!  :)

Linda1948 Newbie

I started taking Digestive Advantage for Intensive Bowel Support. After a few days I started having pains in my stomach & bowel problems. I looked at the ingredients and found out it contains wheat.

kareng Grand Master

I started taking Digestive Advantage for Intensive Bowel Support. After a few days I started having pains in my stomach & bowel problems. I looked at the ingredients and found out it contains wheat.

Sounds like you have learned the first rule of Celiac - ALWAYS read the ingredients

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

There is no legal requirement for that statement.  

dont eat porcessed foods anyway i just said that...

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

I've said multipe times I eat a paleo deiet. NO processed foods.

In other words, the item can be processed in a shared facility even if the statement is not there.  You would need to look online or contact the company to find out for sure.  I really was not trying to say that you are stupid.  The thing about cross contamination is that some celiacs react to lower levels of cross contamination than others.  Here is a study with people that improved with a diet of whole unprocessed foods.  The flours that you use would be considered processed.  Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

I am NOT getting cc!!!! How many times do I have to say it? Some of you are very helpful, thank you for your kind and supportive words. But to those of you who repeatedly insinuate that I'm eating something wrong or not reading labels and getting cross contaminated, how many times must I say my diet is all unprocessed, minus coconut flour which is literally just mashed up coconut shreds made in a gluten free dairy free facility.

I may have only found out I had Celiac Disease 5 months ago, but I know a ot more than you might think!!!!!

I feel like I'm talking to the doctors all over again. I have seen so many doctors and they all just said to either give it time or that I'm probably getting cross contaminated (Nope, blood test proved that wrong) or that oh i have ibs. I am so frustrated with hearing this over and over again!

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

I don't know if this helps but I just wanted to say that you're not alone when it comes to being sick enough to have to stay home and deal with being kept from doing the things you used to be able to do out in the world. I'm in the same boat and it is so frustrating.

Just know that this is a temporary phase of your recovery. You will bounce back and be better. It sounds like you are trying really hard to do the right things. Honestly it just takes time, even if you are doing the right things. I don't think it is helpful for anyone to have told you that you will be well in a matter of a few months. The length of time it takes is different for everyone.

If you can, try to make peace with the process of getting well, and try your best not to expect to see results in any particular time frame. Keeping stress to a minimum is as important as anything else you are doing toward feeling better. The more you can relax and go with it, the faster you will heal. I'm not suggesting it's easy to do that, but it will help.

You are making progress every day even if it doesn't seem like it. You will get through this and get back to being able to enjoy your life more again. Hang in there. It will happen!  :)

Thank you, I like hearing stuff like this(: ANd thank you for not jumping on the band wagon and telling me I'm getting cross contamined when I even got a blood test to prove that wrong.

It's just... I'm only 17 and these symptoms appeared so suddenly. My doctor even said that the healing process would be quick for me due to my age and the minial damage done to my intestines. Yet, I've been gluten free for over 4 months and I feel worse...

Do you know of any complications from Celiac Disease that could still be causing me suffering?

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

Yea I looked at that one too until I read the ingrediants. I'm taking the DIgestive Advantage Constipation Formula which doesn't contain gluten or dairy. It's the only thing that keeps me away from laxatives /:

kareng Grand Master

dont eat porcessed foods anyway i just said that...

I didn't say you did. Well...actually you said you did but I just wanted to clarify that the statement isn't required by law.

Some of us have offered suggestions but you don't seem to want to hear them. Some of them had nothing to do with cc. I suggested you might want to track your symptoms and what you ate in case it was another food bothering you. We can't use magic and tell you what is going on with your guts, we have to start at the likely things and try to work with you to figure it out.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon but I don't see how I can help you right now.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am sorry for offering suggestions that you think are not possible.  I have many years of experience with this condition and apparant cc where I didn't think it was possible.  For your information, a negative blood test does not prove absolutely that there is no cc.  Some celiacs have a negative blood test while on a full gluten diet.  Open Original Shared Link

jiggles Apprentice

I would cut out ALL factory produced foods , and that includes the flours you are using ,

Just stick to "whole foods " of one ingredient , which I see you are doing already ,

but your nut flours are factory produced ,

and dilitantesteph is right about low levels of gluten being present in factory produced flour ,

as they are allowed 20 parts per million which is still classed as Gluten free ,

and in the beginning some of us can be sensitive to these low factory levels of gluten

until we have healed a bit more ,

a lot of us on here have felt so sick and poorly just like you in the beginning , me included

and we know It's not nice to feel so sick :(

it's only by trial that we discover our own " safe foods " which may be different for each of us ,

for me it is sweet potatoes , steamed cod , and lots of water ,

In the beginning when our systems rumble and bloat to let us know we have eaten something too harsh, or too hard to digest ,

we then go back to our " safe foods" and remain on them until we feel better

and whilst eating ONLY our "safe foods"

we introduce those other foods one by one, until we find the food which offended our systems

then over time when more healing has taken place many of us can look forward to getting back most of those offending foods that were far too harsh for us in the beginning ,

for me those offending foods were .... eggs which gave terrible gas pain and bloating , any type of nuts,

any type of flours, Dairy ,

certain fruits , certain veggies , hot spices and peppers, certain vinegars ,

I hardly ever drink , but any type of alcohol or wine was out in the beginning too,

plus a few more things I may have forgotten ,

so you can see it's a process of elimination for a lot of us ,

Hope that helped, and I hope that made sense ,

Hope you find your safe foods soon and start to feel better too :)

Jiggles x x

It's just... I'm only 17 and these symptoms appeared so suddenly. My doctor even said that the healing process would be quick for me due to my age and the minial damage done to my intestines. Yet, I've been gluten free for over 4 months and I feel worse...

Do you know of any complications from Celiac Disease that could still be causing me suffering?

I can't imagine dealing with this when I was 17, it must be so hard. It's true healing time is supposed to be shorter the younger you are. I have usually heard 6 months is the minimum time to feel better. I think it's really too soon to be concerned about any other complications you might have. What you are experiencing is very normal at this point.

It is very common to have food sensitivities other than gluten after going gluten free. I couldn't tolerate any grains at all, for example. I stuck to whole foods, nothing processed - the more you can do that the faster you'll heal. You get used to it. Over time you find out which foods you can tolerate and which ones you can't. Figuring that out is what takes time more than anything.

I tried "gluten-free" foods but all of them made me feel bad. You do have to be so careful trying those foods, because some will claim to be gluten-free, but not all of them are.

I'm not sure if you're keeping a food journal - writing down what you eat and how it affects you. It sounds hard to do, but it's the best way to figure out the right foods for you to eat. I know this whole process is overwhelming, so just try to make positive changes as you are able to. It will pay off.

There are a lot of people on this site who have dealt with these things longer than I have. They've been through it all, and any suggestions they make are to try and spare you from going through what they did. No one is trying to judge you, I promise. Everyone here is genuinely concerned about you and wants to help.

I hope your family is supportive and you have some friends that understand. There is a section on this site that's only for young people like yourself. It might make you feel better to talk with other young people so you know you are not alone.

Male sure you take a break from worrying about all this stuff sometimes, and take time to do some fun things you enjoy :)

Questore Rookie

Thank you, I like hearing stuff like this(: ANd thank you for not jumping on the band wagon and telling me I'm getting cross contamined when I even got a blood test to prove that wrong.

Everything related to any autoimmune condition will get you new flare ups of problems that come out of no-where.  They aren't complications, in the meaning of something getting worse.  It's a good deal more likely that other parts of your body were suffering for a long time from lack of good nutrients and kind treatment to your body.

It rather depends on what syptoms you have suddenly showing up, in combination with any other symptoms you already had; the way the stress is hitting you (and we all beat ourselves up so much during the anger and grief of finding out something is really wrong with us, because down deep we are blaming ourselves for what happened, even though we may have done nothing to make it happen.) It's about knowing if you have been sleeping, and how long, who you argued with, and what about, what you ate, and how you felt; and so forth.

In a couple of years, you will have a track record to look back on, and see all the problems, and how they act on each other, and what you can do, if anything, to make it better.

But at 17 you don't want to hear that it will take a long time to figure out your version of the disease, and what other surpises your body has in store for you during the healing time.

I am not a diagnosed celiac disease, but I have everything that seems to resemble it, or lead to it, or from it.  At 19, all of a sudden I started vomiting, and couldn't stop.  6 days in the hospital, and fluids, and a pill that helped control excess stomach acid helped, as did the valium...but I could keep nothing much down, not even the pills, and had constant dry heaves and diarrhea until there was nothing in me.  And then even water would make me sick.  I lived on sips of Diet Pepsi, until I could keep some mashed potatoes down.  It was two years before I could eat much of anything...potatoes, oatmeal, some crackers...and no one even mention celiac disease...no one had heard of a gluten free diet in 1974...no one ever seemed toknow anything for most of us older people.  At 59, they still don't really know what's going on with me, and I keep reading, and trying to see what new thing fits my list of symptoms, and try something new.

For me, going gluten free...this is the next thing to try...and having lived without gluten before, it's no hardship in comparison to pain and nausea.

What are your symptoms?  What happens first, and what next?  Is anything the same from day to day?  Because it's not just what you eat...it's what you feel, and how that makes your body put out a ton of chemicals to mess with you further...being lonely, feeling depressed, feeling like your life is ruined, and hating it.

There is a lot to control in your life that has nothing to do with your kitchen.  Even if you do gluten free perfectly, your mind is going to have just as much an effect on you as celiac disease, as are the people around you.  Everything you lose is going to have a physical effect on you...and every patch of boredom, of anger, of grief will stir your body up...and make you feel worse.

You need to start listing everything...a journal, not of what you eat alone, although that helps, but how you felt, and what you thought, because in just a few more months, you might have enough information to see a pattern of something.

And at your age, a grief counselor might be important.  You have lost everything that you know, and expected, and desired. The old you died, and the new you is a complete mystery except for the memories of being 'normal'.  Fortunately, no one really is normal, so you don't have to worry about that, but how to do your new life takes a new set of rules, and they are not all in a diet book.

You will have to design a new life, and a new you around what is happening, and that's a bit overwhelming for any of us.  I didn't know I had a life long condition, nor that there was help somewhere.  No one has ever really known what I, or many others here, ever had wrong with us, until it was screamed into there faces with a ton of proof, and most of us had more of a handle on life than you have just now. You are really young, and young bodies heal.  My niece, at 35, was symptom free from celiac disease in about a year. 

I still continually try new ideas...something new pops up every few years, and sometimes it helps.  Going gluten free will help me...I know that.  But it won't give me back the 40 years of trying to find out what was wrong, or the time I spent grieving over it, hating myself, and hating my life. 

You know what is wrong, and what to do.  You just are not really aware yet that you are going to have to keep doing this year after year, until you get it right.  You have to begin to control how you thing, and what you feel...there are techniques that you can learn...thought replacement, to calm your mind, and get a better attitude, and then a better life.

A grief counselor can help you deal with all the reality you got shoved into your face, and help you cope with how impossible it all seems.  But it isn't impossible...just hard.

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

I can't imagine dealing with this when I was 17, it must be so hard. It's true healing time is supposed to be shorter the younger you are. I have usually heard 6 months is the minimum time to feel better. I think it's really too soon to be concerned about any other complications you might have. What you are experiencing is very normal at this point.

It is very common to have food sensitivities other than gluten after going gluten free. I couldn't tolerate any grains at all, for example. I stuck to whole foods, nothing processed - the more you can do that the faster you'll heal. You get used to it. Over time you find out which foods you can tolerate and which ones you can't. Figuring that out is what takes time more than anything.

I tried "gluten-free" foods but all of them made me feel bad. You do have to be so careful trying those foods, because some will claim to be gluten-free, but not all of them are.

I'm not sure if you're keeping a food journal - writing down what you eat and how it affects you. It sounds hard to do, but it's the best way to figure out the right foods for you to eat. I know this whole process is overwhelming, so just try to make positive changes as you are able to. It will pay off.

There are a lot of people on this site who have dealt with these things longer than I have. They've been through it all, and any suggestions they make are to try and spare you from going through what they did. No one is trying to judge you, I promise. Everyone here is genuinely concerned about you and wants to help.

I hope your family is supportive and you have some friends that understand. There is a section on this site that's only for young people like yourself. It might make you feel better to talk with other young people so you know you are not alone.

Male sure you take a break from worrying about all this stuff sometimes, and take time to do some fun things you enjoy :)

I do keep a food journal, and I do avoid "gluten-free" foods, I only eat veggies, fruit, meat, and nuts. And thats all. No grains or sugar or dairy or processed food asside from coconut flour (certified gluten free)

I've heard 6 months is the minimum time for healing, although most people tend to start feeling better in some ways with ANY little imporvement over a month or so. I don't feel any different! And it's been almost 5 months! I look like i'm pregnant my stomach is so huge and bloated, i never stop crying. I woul do absolutely anything to stop this hell... it hurts so bad and it never stops! i had to quit school, quit my job, i dont go out, i dont do anything. Even my GI says she doesnt know what could be wrong, she reffered me to the Celaic Center in nyc so im going there in 2 weeks. Hopefully i'll get some answers...

I'm sorry you're feeling so uncomfortable :( I don't know anything about the bloating, that isn't one of my symptoms, but it sounds miserable. The Celiac Center sounds like a good plan. Many GI's don't have enough experience with the problems we face to help that much. Mine is like that.

I'm also not able to work right now until I feel better, or go out, so I understand completely. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to lose my mind, then I'll figure out a piece of the puzzle with my issues and it helps me keep going. It's one of those two steps forward, one step back sort of things. I am figuring it out little by little. There is always an answer! I know I'll get there and I know you will too!

Remember you're still the same person, you're just sick right now. Your old life will be back, and you'll feel like yourself again, you'll be happy. It won't always be this bad, it's just a really hard stage that you're in, and it is temporary. it will pass. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll find your way!

jiggles Apprentice

Hi, it's great news that your doctor is sending you to the Celiac centre ,

it's really good to feel there is more help out there ,

there is a very good post on here about starting to feel better ,

sorry I can't remember who the OP was ....

It starts with waking up one day feeling ok, and you notice that you have had a good day ,

then you hope you will have another good day , and one day it dawns on you that you have had two or more good days in a row ,

and you suddenly realise that you are having more good days than bad

and eventually the good days will out number the bad days ,

and you will get better too AnnaChristine

and as you get better the anxiety that accompanies this illness will go away allowing your confidence to grow back and you will feel like your old self again ,

I found it so scary when I didn't know my own body anymore or how to help fix it,

I felt broken ,

I too had those new food intolerances that can show up soon after starting the gluten free diet,

I found these hard going , as they can produce similar symptoms to gluten ,

but once you recognise the offending foods and gain control by cutting those foods out until you heal ,

it starts to get better ,

and after two years of healing I am finding I can now tolerate most of those foods again , and a few more factory produced treats too ,

We are so lucky to have lots of lovely people on this site to help us through all of this ,

and to help us to stay well too ,

I found this board a God send , I am so grateful for it , I don't know what I would have done without it ,

so thank you all once again x x

AnnaChristine , Please let us know how you are doing, and how you get on at the Celiac centre ,

Sending you big hugs :)

Jiggles x x

Yes, that's such an important point - the anxiety is a symptom or side effect that comes with this. That has been maybe the hardest part of all for me to cope with. I don't naturally have anxiety, but I've had it really bad off and on while dealing with this. I had really bad irritability too in the beginning and that's passed now. I just wasn't myself at the start, but that gets better. Hang in there :)

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

Hi, it's great news that your doctor is sending you to the Celiac centre ,

it's really good to feel there is more help out there ,

there is a very good post on here about starting to feel better ,

sorry I can't remember who the OP was ....

It starts with waking up one day feeling ok, and you notice that you have had a good day ,

then you hope you will have another good day , and one day it dawns on you that you have had two or more good days in a row ,

and you suddenly realise that you are having more good days than bad

and eventually the good days will out number the bad days ,

and you will get better too AnnaChristine

and as you get better the anxiety that accompanies this illness will go away allowing your confidence to grow back and you will feel like your old self again ,

I found it so scary when I didn't know my own body anymore or how to help fix it,

I felt broken ,

I too had those new food intolerances that can show up soon after starting the gluten free diet,

I found these hard going , as they can produce similar symptoms to gluten ,

but once you recognise the offending foods and gain control by cutting those foods out until you heal ,

it starts to get better ,

and after two years of healing I am finding I can now tolerate most of those foods again , and a few more factory produced treats too ,

We are so lucky to have lots of lovely people on this site to help us through all of this ,

and to help us to stay well too ,

I found this board a God send , I am so grateful for it , I don't know what I would have done without it ,

so thank you all once again x x

AnnaChristine , Please let us know how you are doing, and how you get on at the Celiac centre ,

Sending you big hugs :)

Jiggles x x

This was beautiful, thank you :') I love all the support I get from this website!!

I just started taking a supplement I heard about from a website called The Celiac Diva, for healing leaky gut called "G.I. Revive" that has (this is a long list):

L-Glutamine, glucosamine, citris pectin, licorice root, aloe vera, slippery elm, mucin, marshmallow root, chamomile, okra extract, cat's claw, prune powder, and zinc carnosine. For $65 this better do something. I'm still waiting for my Celiac Center appointment. I want to ask the doctor about getting a test for food intolerances. Either the IGe or IgG or something? I don't know much about it, but elimination diets don't do anything for me because it's been 5 months I've been doing it and I still seem to react to everything.

Can anybody point out anything else it could be that's wrong? After 5 months on a strict gluten free, grain free, dairy free diet I should be seeing SOME results but I haven't even imporved in the least bit. In fact I'm getting worse.

Does anyone have ideas?

Other than bacterial/parasitic infections of the intestines, pancreatic insufficencies, other food intolerances, or SIBO?

And does anyone know anything about "leaky gut" and what to do about it?

It sounds like you're on the right track, learning the different things to look for. These are all good questions. The supplement sounds pretty good. Most people with leaky gut, myself included, take L-Glutamine for it. I would get some in addition to the supplement so you're having more of it. I try to take it twice a day. Make sure you're getting enough Vit D - that can get low for many of us. Have you had your vitamin and mineral levels checked - it's really important now because of malabsortption - a damaged gut can't absorb everything right. It's not just villi that can get damaged, the gut lining too - that's what leaky gut is. Link on leaky gut below.

Have you read the newbie 101 info yet. I think it's at the beginning of the "coping with" section. Make sure you've checked non-food products for gluten like toothpaste and all the health and beauty products you use that could get into your mouth - I'm sorry to have to tell you this stuff - I know it's a lot to think about. I had to have someone help me check that stuff when I was new, it was too complicated. Hopefully someone can post more about this.

It's really important to examine all the foods that could be a problem. I don't think there are tests for food sensitivities. One common one to consider is nightshade plants, I had to stop those, many of us have a problem with those - it's tomatoes, potatoes, all peppers, and eggplant.

Foods that irritate the digestive lining should be avoided for now because you're lining is still so sensitive at this point. I wouldn't have alcohol, onions, and I'm not sure about coffee, but anything harsh. Avoid sugar. Also hard to digest things can bother you. This may be a repeat of what I or someone else has said but stick to whole foods with one ingredient, nothing processed.

I believe in the idea that your food has to be your medicine - helpful to healing your gut - before other things are going to help. It takes a while to get that right - it's trial and error for all of us. It'll be up and down while you figure that out, but as you go, you'll learn more about what to do and what not to do, and that will help you keep finding the answers - and you will! Your hard work will pay off!

There is a test for SIBO, ask about that when you go for your Celiac appt. Keep us posted!

Here's a link from the Dr. Oz website about Leaky gut:

Open Original Shared Link

weluvgators Explorer

Have you been tested for H. Pylori?  I know it is a bacteria, but I hadn't seen any specific mentions of the bacteria/parasites that you have considered and investigated.  Good luck getting it sorted, and I hope your trip to the celiac center is productive.

I hope you find relief and improvement soon.  Our journey to wellness took a very long time, many doctors and lots of denial to overcome.  We still haven't fully figured out some of the pieces.

Questore Rookie

There are a ton of things that can be a part of what is wrong with you...I am about halfway through a massive book called "Why Isn't My Brain Working" by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, which goes over all the links between Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease and other things that the body does with the antibodies to gluten, and related foods, and then how that inter-reacts with your digestive system, brain, and vagus nerve, messing up how your brain is communication with your gut and vice versa, and even how the same gluten anti-bodies can attack other things in your body.  Ton's of info and good explanations about how some things can just flat out interrupt the directions your digestive system receives from your brain, how your hormones will mess things up, how stress makes things worse, and sometimes better.   

You can download it at Amazon Kindle for $10.00.  I already found out all the things that I will need to watch for after my tests are back, even though I have already gone off gluten and dairy, and found a lot of things that I may need to eliminate one by one until I am well, because of the other problems I already have.

It seems that once you have gone gluten free for long enough to let your digestion heal, and your body still doesn't actually seem to be healing, there are a lot of other things that you may need to eliminate, one by one, or get tested in order to find out what other supplements and herbs can help you heal specific things. 

Since you are not yet receiving much relief just going on a Paleo Diet, the book lists a lot of tests that can be done to check for problems related to, but not triggered by gluten, but by some things that are in a Paleo Diet, or are problems in other parts of your body because of the Celiac that just haven't been tested for, since there are a lot of finer points in testing to go after once you have made your maximum adjustment to a gluten free lifestyle, and are still sick.  There are also many supplements listed on a problem by problem basis to talk to your Doctor about, or to a Nutritionist.

I hope you find your answers soon.

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

It sounds like you're on the right track, learning the different things to look for. These are all good questions. The supplement sounds pretty good. Most people with leaky gut, myself included, take L-Glutamine for it. I would get some in addition to the supplement so you're having more of it. I try to take it twice a day. Make sure you're getting enough Vit D - that can get low for many of us. Have you had your vitamin and mineral levels checked - it's really important now because of malabsortption - a damaged gut can't absorb everything right. It's not just villi that can get damaged, the gut lining too - that's what leaky gut is. Link on leaky gut below.

Have you read the newbie 101 info yet. I think it's at the beginning of the "coping with" section. Make sure you've checked non-food products for gluten like toothpaste and all the health and beauty products you use that could get into your mouth - I'm sorry to have to tell you this stuff - I know it's a lot to think about. I had to have someone help me check that stuff when I was new, it was too complicated. Hopefully someone can post more about this.

It's really important to examine all the foods that could be a problem. I don't think there are tests for food sensitivities. One common one to consider is nightshade plants, I had to stop those, many of us have a problem with those - it's tomatoes, potatoes, all peppers, and eggplant.

Foods that irritate the digestive lining should be avoided for now because you're lining is still so sensitive at this point. I wouldn't have alcohol, onions, and I'm not sure about coffee, but anything harsh. Avoid sugar. Also hard to digest things can bother you. This may be a repeat of what I or someone else has said but stick to whole foods with one ingredient, nothing processed.

I believe in the idea that your food has to be your medicine - helpful to healing your gut - before other things are going to help. It takes a while to get that right - it's trial and error for all of us. It'll be up and down while you figure that out, but as you go, you'll learn more about what to do and what not to do, and that will help you keep finding the answers - and you will! Your hard work will pay off!

There is a test for SIBO, ask about that when you go for your Celiac appt. Keep us posted!

Here's a link from the Dr. Oz website about Leaky gut:

Open Original Shared Link

Yes I've looked at all the "newbie" stuff back when I was frst diagnosed 5 months ago...

And I've been taking l-glutamine on it's own for a few months but it didn't do anything, which is why I got the GI revive supplement. My diet, like I said, is far more than just gluten-free. There's no cross contamination going on. There just isn't. And I did get tested for SIBO. I don't have it :/

I feel like since I"ve already eliminated so much what else can I try? eggs? nuts? I've already eliminated sugars, processed foods, all grains, all dairy, and certain things I've noticed that hurt my stomach even more (such as broccoli and beans)

AnnaChristine18 Newbie

Have you been tested for H. Pylori?  I know it is a bacteria, but I hadn't seen any specific mentions of the bacteria/parasites that you have considered and investigated.  Good luck getting it sorted, and I hope your trip to the celiac center is productive.

I hope you find relief and improvement soon.  Our journey to wellness took a very long time, many doctors and lots of denial to overcome.  We still haven't fully figured out some of the pieces.

I've heard of that btu I  haven't been tested for any bacteria or parasites or anything like that. Yet (hopefully) I've wanted to get a stool test for a long time but my GI doctor wouldn't sign off on it... (then again, she also said she doubted I was Celiac because my main symptom is constipation, not diarrhea. After the biopsy and bloodtest showed it she seemed surprised...)

Are infections like this common for people with Celiac Disease? I pray it's something simple like this.

Archived