This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Emotionally Deal With Setbacks?

icelandgirl

kareng Grand Master

This isn't meant to be discouraging.  Its just a sort of explanation/example that might help you accept and find what works for you.

Even after more than 4 years, I find that I have a "delicate" digestive system. If I eat differently from "normal" for a period of time, I have some issues.  For instance, when I go on a trip, I might eat more sandwiches because they are easy to take along.  But I don't normally eat much bread.   A sandwich once in a while is fine.  But one everyday for 3 days in a row.... and my system isn't right.  I don't think that means the gluten-free bread has gluten,  its just something in bread?  xantham gum in larger quantities? A grain in the bread? I am not eating a salad?  Who knows what  the problem is.   I just learn how I have to eat when I travel - Add a lot of fresh spinach to the sandwiches, no PB, Cold cuts and cheese or cream cheese is better.  Alternate with other foods - hummus and crackers and fruit one day, Go Picnic pack another, then back to sandwich.

I bought some yummy mini cupcakes at Xmas to serve the extended family.  Had some left-overs.  I think I ate too many in 2 days.  Too much fat? sugar? some other ingredient or a combo of ingredients?  I don't assume it is gluten.  This happens if I make cupcakes and eat too many.

My point is, it takes a while to heal.  It takes a while to figure out what the right balance of foods are for you..I have had to change the "balance" as I healed.  What worked best at 6 months wasn't the same as at 2 years.  for example - I couldn't have a lot of raw greens (salad) in the beginning.  Now I find I need them to maintain smooth flow of food thru the system.

Having a hard time typing as GRacie the cat wants me to get her some ham.  I try to explain that too much ham will upset her tummy, but she doesn't listen.  She likes catnip but ham is what drives her wild!  She knows there is an open pack in the fridge.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C-Girl Contributor

Thanks kareng. I had been eating greens, trying to stick to whole, unprocessed foods. I cook them, but I guess I just can't have them at all yet, which stinks because I love greens. Back to boiled rice and eggs for another week until things settle down.

On another note, I know when things are about to get ugly when I suddenly gain 3-4 lbs. it's first bloating, then urgency, then the big D a week later. Then I stop eating, then I eat only rice and then it gets better. Then I start eating normal foods and a month later I'm back to step 1. It has been going like this since day 1 - I can almost plan my schedule around the episodes. Every other month, like clockwork. I guess I should schedule time off at the beginning of July.

icelandgirl Proficient

It's both encouraging and heartbreaking to read these stories... I think I was glutened last week by some nut butter I got a whole foods. I'd been feeling great, and got cocky and didn't read the label. Damned shared facility. It's either that or my failed attempts at baking gluten-free bread, either I can't tolerate yeast or the flours from nuts.com were contaminated... Sigh. It's never fun visiting friends and spending your time there on the toilet, or spending your days on the can. More than six months down and still - will it ever end? Each time I think I have it solved, another "blip". I feel like I'm living I morse code with all these damned blips.

I hear you.  The blips send me into detective mode, analyzing everything I've consumed in the past few days.  This blip has now lasted just over a week...ugh.  The only things I noticed as something different were the almond flour and chocolate chips.  But, I don't know that they glutened me.  Maybe I'm just super sensitive to anything other than potatoes.  LOL!  Anyway, I hope you start to feel better.  

icelandgirl Proficient

This isn't meant to be discouraging.  Its just a sort of explanation/example that might help you accept and find what works for you.

Even after more than 4 years, I find that I have a "delicate" digestive system. If I eat differently from "normal" for a period of time, I have some issues.  For instance, when I go on a trip, I might eat more sandwiches because they are easy to take along.  But I don't normally eat much bread.   A sandwich once in a while is fine.  But one everyday for 3 days in a row.... and my system isn't right.  I don't think that means the gluten-free bread has gluten,  its just something in bread?  xantham gum in larger quantities? A grain in the bread? I am not eating a salad?  Who knows what  the problem is.   I just learn how I have to eat when I travel - Add a lot of fresh spinach to the sandwiches, no PB, Cold cuts and cheese or cream cheese is better.  Alternate with other foods - hummus and crackers and fruit one day, Go Picnic pack another, then back to sandwich.

I bought some yummy mini cupcakes at Xmas to serve the extended family.  Had some left-overs.  I think I ate too many in 2 days.  Too much fat? sugar? some other ingredient or a combo of ingredients?  I don't assume it is gluten.  This happens if I make cupcakes and eat too many.

My point is, it takes a while to heal.  It takes a while to figure out what the right balance of foods are for you..I have had to change the "balance" as I healed.  What worked best at 6 months wasn't the same as at 2 years.  for example - I couldn't have a lot of raw greens (salad) in the beginning.  Now I find I need them to maintain smooth flow of food thru the system.

Having a hard time typing as GRacie the cat wants me to get her some ham.  I try to explain that too much ham will upset her tummy, but she doesn't listen.  She likes catnip but ham is what drives her wild!  She knows there is an open pack in the fridge.

Thank you for sharing that.  It's good to hear from someone who has been at this celiac thing for a while.  :)   I wonder if we will always have delicate digestive systems.  It seems like a lot of people on here have sensitivities to other things as well.  I read a study where only a third of people heal after 3 years and two-thirds after 5 years.  Can that be?  And if some people never fully heal I would think that they would continue to have issues for life?  Eek.  Where's that gelato

MilkaJ Newbie

First time poster. I think I recognize a few of you from GlutenDude. Two years ago I did a work sponsored Biggest Loser challenge. It started me on a path that ended 7 months later losing 89 pounds. I kept the weight off for 2 years. I was diagnosed via blood and biopsy as Celiac in February and have osteopenia in my hips, legs and feet. I have probably put on 10 pounds and it is causing me anxiety. I live 25 minutes from the closest grocery store. Before my weight loss I would binge on potatoes and rice. Guess what two safe foods are for me. Yep. I live with my uber supportive boyfriend. But my anxiety and every day muscle and bone pain make it hard for me to feel social and be physically active. Which adds to my anxiety that he's going to get frustrated with me. Any tips on how not to be an a**hole?

notme Experienced

i agree with karen - our sensitive digestive tracts are pretty fickle, sometimes!  that's why keeping a food journal is helpful.  i have to limit how much soy i have or else it gives me a problem.  not gluten, just indigestion.  i recently switched from drinking apple juice all day to drinking plain ice water.  a little tweak here and there and i can see improvement.  (i don't like the taste of plain water, but it's improved my digestion :)  ) didn't think the juice was bothering me, but, i guess the acid was too much.  you have to remember, depending on how long you've gone undiagnosed (for me it was 25 years :(  )  you are looking at a lot of damage that needs to heal !  as your gut improves, you will notice that you can eat many more things with no issue.  i just started eating salads again <took 3 years and the addition of digestive enzymes and probiotics)

i know, it's hard right now.  you will feel so much better, soon, and not just physically.  if you are like most of us, you have felt the out of control what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-me feeling:  now, you can take charge :)  it is the empowering side of the dx!  it feels overwhelming right now, but you can do it.  like i tell my kids:  deep breaths, one thing at a time.  i have them 'poke holes' in the wall when they hit it, and soon they are through it.  you can do it :)

here.  have some gelato  :)  FEEL THE POWER OF THE GELATO !!!  LOLZ!!  :D

JamieRmusic Explorer

I have a list of foods that are ok and foods that can cause problems. It was a part of leaky gut repair program from SCD that I bought... but I feel that it should be free for everyone. Some foods will be ok for some and not for others, but it was made based upon many thousand individual treatments from the SCD guys.

Getting healthy shouldn't cost a person anything in my opinion, and it should be a much bigger focus in this world. I'll try to get it posted by tomorrow!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have a list of foods that are ok and foods that can cause problems. It was a part of leaky gut repair program from SCD that I bought... but I feel that it should be free for everyone. Some foods will be ok for some and not for others, but it was made based upon many thousand individual treatments from the SCD guys.

Getting healthy shouldn't cost a person anything in my opinion, and it should be a much bigger focus in this world. I'll try to get it posted by tomorrow!

What foods don't work for you might be fine for me.  I don't think a copyrighted list of foods can tell everyone what they can or can't eat.  

IrishHeart Veteran

I read a study where only a third of people heal after 3 years and two-thirds after 5 years.  Can that be?  And if some people never fully heal I would think that they would continue to have issues for life?  Eek.  Where's that gelato

Please, show that to me, because I never saw that one and I thought I had read them all  :)

icelandgirl Proficient

Please, show that to me, because I never saw that one and I thought I had read them all  :)

Sure...This is what I read. I mistyped 3 instead of 2 in the first part.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

Sure...This is what I read. I mistyped 3 instead of 2 in the first part.

I am not always convinced by her articles, :mellow: but anyway...did you read the explanation WHY?

Why Don't People Recover Fully?

That's not clear, but the Mayo Clinic researchers speculated that continuous low-level Open Original Shared Link or inadvertent consumption of Open Original Shared Link could be to blame. Other factors could include genetics, age and the duration of gluten exposure before diagnosis.

Those are all "maybes" hon, in a limited clinical study! And it is the Mayo Clinic.The celiac centers have different data. 

Stop worrying! Let's not deal in "maybes". We were all very sick and incapacitated before our diagnoses (maybe 25+ year or more) and we are telling you...just stay the course. Do not eat gluten and be careful.  It's going to be okay.

icelandgirl Proficient

I am not always convinced by her articles, :mellow: but anyway...did you read the explanation WHY?

Why Don't People Recover Fully?

That's not clear, but the Mayo Clinic researchers speculated that continuous low-level Open Original Shared Link or inadvertent consumption of Open Original Shared Link could be to blame. Other factors could include genetics, age and the duration of gluten exposure before diagnosis.

Those are all "maybes" hon, in a limited clinical study! And it is the Mayo Clinic.The celiac centers have different data.

Stop worrying! Let's not deal in "maybes". We were all very sick and incapacitated before our diagnoses (maybe 25+ year or more) and we are telling you...just stay the course. Do not eat gluten and be careful. It's going to be okay.

I absolutely do hear you. I am not taking it to heart, but did wonder about it. Now, where's that red wine we were talking about?
IrishHeart Veteran

I absolutely do hear you. I am not taking it to heart, but did wonder about it. Now, where's that red wine we were talking about?

Do not wonder or worry...read it again

"that continuous low-level Open Original Shared Linkor inadvertent consumption of Open Original Shared Link could be to blame. "

That's not going to happen to you. This is in people who do not pay attention!  ;) 

icelandgirl Proficient

Do not wonder or worry...read it again

"that continuous low-level Open Original Shared Linkor inadvertent consumption of Open Original Shared Link could be to blame. "

That's not going to happen to you. This is in people who do not pay attention!   ;) 

It won't...you're right.  I'm totally paying attention.  Thanks for reminding me.  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

It won't...you're right.  I'm totally paying attention.  Thanks for reminding me.  :)

no problem ! that's what celiac buds are for.  ^_^..keeping each other sane and calm. (and keeping you company while  drinking wine) 

Jmg Mentor

It is hard to believe it in the beginning of your Celiac life that you really can gain your health back and be comfortable and feel well but it does require time.  Of course, I do have other autoimmune problems from going so long without a diagnosis but I manage them well and do not take much medication. I am a firm believer in eating healthy, not cheating, exercise and don't forget to laugh often.  I do not let the medical world control or have too much input in what I do because I don't always believe they do the right things.  They tend to scare people. Yeah, so what, I have 4 AI diseases. I will never let that stop me or slow me down and just think positive. Even my doctor admits I am doing well and do a good job of managing things and really, with some education, anyone can achieve the same. Learn all you can, over time,so mistakes can be minimized.  It is not inevitable that you will feel badly more often than you feel good with Celiac.  Maybe in the beginning while you heal but not down the road.  Plus, after being gluten-free for so long, I am totally comfortable with this life and do not pine about foods I cannot eat. It is second nature to me and I would never go back.  You will feel this way too, I promise.  Go forward, not backward. If you are missing something food-wise, let us know because usually there is a good gluten-free version that someone will know about.  And, lastly, drink more tea.....I find that tea is so settling to the stomach.  The British have that right!  :)

This wasn't directed at me but nonetheless I found it great to read, thank you for writing it. 

IrishHeart Veteran

First time poster. I think I recognize a few of you from GlutenDude. Two years ago I did a work sponsored Biggest Loser challenge. It started me on a path that ended 7 months later losing 89 pounds. I kept the weight off for 2 years. I was diagnosed via blood and biopsy as Celiac in February and have osteopenia in my hips, legs and feet. I have probably put on 10 pounds and it is causing me anxiety. I live 25 minutes from the closest grocery store. Before my weight loss I would binge on potatoes and rice. Guess what two safe foods are for me. Yep. I live with my uber supportive boyfriend. But my anxiety and every day muscle and bone pain make it hard for me to feel social and be physically active. Which adds to my anxiety that he's going to get frustrated with me. Any tips on how not to be an a**hole?

You're still healing. You've got to give yourself a break about that.  Stop thinking about "what ifs" ok?  ;)

Do not be "anxious" about gaining some weight back, okay. This is normal when your body starts absorbing nutrients again.

I can relate entirely to the muscles and bone pain and osteopenia, but the irony of managing all that lies in keeping mobile.

can you walk in a pool somewhere? get therapeutic massage? some physical therapy? sit in a bath with epsom salts?

walk just 10 minutes in the morning, then try 10 more in the afternoon? get up and walk around every hour. Stretch slowly.

Keep moving.  sadly, to get out of pain, we have to create some initial pain because the muscles and joints really need to be used. 

The good news is osteopenia can be arrested and reversed by doing weight-bearing exercises...and that means, movement.

Mine has improved in 2 years. :)

Take cal/mag/D.

It is possible you are deficient in vit D and magnesium--which also creates pain in muscles and joints.

brown rice is a healthy food in moderation, so are sweet potatoes, but yeah, NO bingeing. (take it from me--I gained weight too but I blame it entirely on my friend with the gluten-free bakery who kept "feeding me" because I was too thin at DX). .  

eat calcium-rich foods and make smoothies with kale. 

Take a deep breath. Don't chase off the BF by over-thinking all this, ok? Trust me. You're going to be okay.  ;)

Gemini Experienced

This wasn't directed at me but nonetheless I found it great to read, thank you for writing it.

You're entirely welcome! It's always a pleasure to know I may have helped put someone in a better frame of mind. Life will always have it's challenges and the key is to find a way to deal with them and make them comfortable. It's the best way to fight back and win!

• 2 weeks later...
icelandgirl Proficient

I'm hoping some of the amazing people that responded to this thread initially are still following it...because I need help...something...encouragement...a hug?

When I posted this initially I felt like I'd been glutened.  I wasn't sure what got me.  I had recently had a full month of feeling so good...and I miss it!  So, starting April 30th I started feeling bad...the big D, the brain fog, etc.  All of the usual stuff.  It lasted for about 8 days.  Had a good 3-4 days...over Mother's Day too, which was great.  Then I started my period which is always a nightmare and comes with it's own set of big D, headaches, etc.  But that's been over for 6 days and I'm still having big D a few times a day...not 20 like initially.  I still have some brain fog, some headaches, am tired.  

I don't get it!  I'm completely gluten free.  If I'm getting gluten somewhere I don't know where.  I realize I may have a very sensitive system.  Starting on Monday I went to eating only chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, bananas and berries.  I'm drinking water, coconut water and lots of tea.  I don't feel as bad as before I got diagnosed, but I can't believe this is going on in some way or another for over 3 weeks.

I'm scared that there's something else wrong with me and I don't want that.  Between mid-December and mid-January I was diagnosed with gallbladder polyps, uterine polyps, h. Pylori and celiac.  I just want to feel good and healthy like I did until April 30th.

So...any thoughts?  Is it because I'm only 4 months in and still healing?  Do I need to do something else?  Different?  More?  

Thanks for any positive thoughts...I really do appreciate them.   :(

GottaSki Mentor

I'm hoping some of the amazing people that responded to this thread initially are still following it...because I need help...something...encouragement...a hug?

When I posted this initially I felt like I'd been glutened.  I wasn't sure what got me.  I had recently had a full month of feeling so good...and I miss it!  So, starting April 30th I started feeling bad...the big D, the brain fog, etc.  All of the usual stuff.  It lasted for about 8 days.  Had a good 3-4 days...over Mother's Day too, which was great.  Then I started my period which is always a nightmare and comes with it's own set of big D, headaches, etc.  But that's been over for 6 days and I'm still having big D a few times a day...not 20 like initially.  I still have some brain fog, some headaches, am tired.  

I don't get it!  I'm completely gluten free.  If I'm getting gluten somewhere I don't know where.  I realize I may have a very sensitive system.  Starting on Monday I went to eating only chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, bananas and berries.  I'm drinking water, coconut water and lots of tea.  I don't feel as bad as before I got diagnosed, but I can't believe this is going on in some way or another for over 3 weeks.

I'm scared that there's something else wrong with me and I don't want that.  Between mid-December and mid-January I was diagnosed with gallbladder polyps, uterine polyps, h. Pylori and celiac.  I just want to feel good and healthy like I did until April 30th.

So...any thoughts?  Is it because I'm only 4 months in and still healing?  Do I need to do something else?  Different?  More?  

Thanks for any positive thoughts...I really do appreciate them.   :(

First and foremost....here you go

one huge --- HUG

ok, now...I don't think there is anything you are doing wrong...the key is it simply takes time.

If you really are only eating just those items...try this:

Chicken, sweet potato fries or mashed and steamed or oven roasted veggie (i like broccoli, asparagus or carrots - doesn't really matter which veggies, just add them)

your story is common here...for whatever reason when many of us remove gluten we feel pretty darn good for the first months -- for me it was the best I felt digestively speaking my entire life....but my other symptoms worsened and before long my digestive system was in real trouble again.

Most folks feel substantially better within the six month to a year time frame, so hang in there, treat yourself with kindness and add digestive enzymes to your supplements if you have not.

Hang in there...or head over to the gab/chat room on this forum for some cheer!

icelandgirl Proficient

First and foremost....here you go

one huge --- HUG

ok, now...I don't think there is anything you are doing wrong...the key is it simply takes time.

If you really are only eating just those items...try this:

Chicken, sweet potato fries or mashed and steamed or oven roasted veggie (i like broccoli, asparagus or carrots - doesn't really matter which veggies, just add them)

your story is common here...for whatever reason when many of us remove gluten we feel pretty darn good for the first months -- for me it was the best I felt digestively speaking my entire life....but my other symptoms worsened and before long my digestive system was in real trouble again.

Most folks feel substantially better within the six month to a year time frame, so hang in there, treat yourself with kindness and add digestive enzymes to your supplements if you have not.

Hang in there...or head over to the gab/chat room on this forum for some cheer!

Lisa...Thank you so much! Your words have helped me so much. (((Hugs)))) right back. Got teary eyed reading it because it's what I needed to hear. Thank you!!!
GottaSki Mentor

Lisa...Thank you so much! Your words have helped me so much. (((Hugs)))) right back. Got teary eyed reading it because it's what I needed to hear. Thank you!!!

Thanks I will take them...we can all use them :)

C-Girl Contributor

Icelandgirl - I've been going through the same thing! It's super duper frustrating. I am beginning to suspect some sort of hormonal component to it - it is very obviously cyclical, and they did find a big old ovarian cyst they said was benign looking. But it's pumping out ridiculous amounts of estrogen. I don't know why that would give me D for weeks on end, but I do seem to get a week or two reprieve. I'm now tracking them both, in between the many tests that are costing me a fortune...

I nearly burst into tears when I went to a local farmer's market and saw a baked goods booth - they had the most beautiful loaves of bread and cakes and muffins. I glanced at them, wincing, but then noticed the "gluten free" sign. I asked, are these really gluten-free, as in safe for celiacs made with certified gluten-free ingredients or are they Paleo gluten-free? She said no no no, these are certified gluten-free. I told her I loved her. :)

notme Experienced

ahhh, the hormones...........  yeah, i have to remind myself every month (when i start feeling tired & my insides get wonky) that i should check my calendar before i think i'm glutened.  i am at the menopause age, pretty much  - i have no idea what sort of mutant baby eggs i have left in my ovaries and i'm ready to be done with it!  lolz  :D

((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) to e'erybody who needs some :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I would have said about the same thing as Ski (because at times we seem to share a brain) so I'll just add a HUG, a "chin up, sweetie' and

and a hang in there-- it does get better. 

Something you said caught my attention: H. pylori infection. 

How as that treated?? My dad had this and I know a little about how rascally it can be. Just want to be sure you've got it eradicated.

Archived