This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Emotionally Deal With Setbacks?

icelandgirl

icelandgirl Proficient

Wow.  Squash are the bomb.  Ok.  Get a nice Acorn Squash, they are orange and green, I like some good orange color on the rind.  Knock on it.  Should sound a bit hollow, it has seeds.  Wash it good, cut it long ways thru the center.  put about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of filtered water in a baking pan.  put the two halves, cut side down, in the pan and bake at 350 or so for about an hour.  When done the squash will be nice and soft.  I eat mine plain but some people put some butter and cinnamon or brown sugar sprinkled on theirs.  I think they taste great by themselves.  Another one is Spegetti Squash.  This one you cook and then you can use a fork and run it down the sides to make a linguini type string.  Season to taste.  Over on the "What's for Dinner" thread, they make Zoodles.  I think its zucchini made into noodles.  The members on the dinner thread know how to make any kind of food into all kinds of different ways.  You should check it out.

Colleen

Thanks! Grabbed an acorn squash today...so excited to try it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KMMO320 Contributor

I'm wondering how everyone else deals emotionally with setbacks you encounter during your recovery?

I've been doing so well for over a month...yay!  I was diagnosed in January, had a rough beginning.  But for a little over a month was doing great.  I would talk about how good I was feeling, how I hadn't even realized how bad it had been until I saw all of the improvements,  I felt like I really got the label reading, cooking, etc. down.  I was exercising again.

And then last Wednesday I started feeling bad again.  By Thursday I was doing the run to the bathroom up to 15 times a day...exhausted...foggy...headache. All of the usual stuff.  I analyzed everything that I had eaten and realized that I had added 2 things into my eating that I hadn't had....almond flour and Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  I bought the chips because a recipe called for bittersweet and I didn't see any from Nestle.  Looking into it I see that they are made in a shared facility.  So, I guess I got too confident, didn't check something out and am suffering for it.  :(

I am having a really difficult time with this emotionally.  I feel mad and sad and all of that stuff.  The setbacks in this journey of celiac disease are so harsh and devastating.  They take such a toll.

How do you deal with it?  Get through it?

Thanks!

I get mad at myself for having celiac disease. It's not my fault, but I just get so mad that I have to be so difficult! So I totally get the emotional aspect you are feeling. I have been Gluten Free for almost 2 years, with a handful of incidents where I either wasnt careful, or threw caution to the wind and ate something Gluten filled, stupid, stupid.  Even after almost 2 years, this morning I held a donut in my hand and was actually bargaining with myself. I was saying, I'm not working until 43o tonight. I can eat this and then take a nap and be fine! why not?

In the end, I didn't do it. Sure, my immediate reaction to eating gluten doesn't last long, a couple hours at most and I can sleep it off and feel fine when I wake up, but what damage am I causing internally? Sure, I was diagnosed with celiac disease formally, but even my Dr thinks it may be intolerance and not so much full blown celiac disease, but it could or could not really be celiac disease. All my tests were negative, all blood work, biopsy, etc. But my symptoms disappeared when I stopped eating Gluten so she just went ahead and made the diagnosis. 

Do I really want to bargain with myself though? No, its not worth it. 

The point Im trying to make is that I don't think the emotional aspect ever really goes away. Im not as emotional as I was, but I do have my days. 

What I do to get over it is find something delicious to eat or keep my mind occupied. I have noticed an increasing intolerance to dairy products. I have a lot of the same symptoms as I did when I was eating gluten, but I get them right after eating ice cream, or too much cheese/cream. I have problems when I eat too much corn products and even too much sugar. 

So what you ate may not have been the chocolate chips, you could be developing an entirely new set of food problems. 

icelandgirl Proficient

I get mad at myself for having celiac disease. It's not my fault, but I just get so mad that I have to be so difficult! So I totally get the emotional aspect you are feeling. I have been Gluten Free for almost 2 years, with a handful of incidents where I either wasnt careful, or threw caution to the wind and ate something Gluten filled, stupid, stupid.  Even after almost 2 years, this morning I held a donut in my hand and was actually bargaining with myself. I was saying, I'm not working until 43o tonight. I can eat this and then take a nap and be fine! why not?

In the end, I didn't do it. Sure, my immediate reaction to eating gluten doesn't last long, a couple hours at most and I can sleep it off and feel fine when I wake up, but what damage am I causing internally? Sure, I was diagnosed with celiac disease formally, but even my Dr thinks it may be intolerance and not so much full blown celiac disease, but it could or could not really be celiac disease. All my tests were negative, all blood work, biopsy, etc. But my symptoms disappeared when I stopped eating Gluten so she just went ahead and made the diagnosis. 

Do I really want to bargain with myself though? No, its not worth it. 

The point Im trying to make is that I don't think the emotional aspect ever really goes away. Im not as emotional as I was, but I do have my days. 

What I do to get over it is find something delicious to eat or keep my mind occupied. I have noticed an increasing intolerance to dairy products. I have a lot of the same symptoms as I did when I was eating gluten, but I get them right after eating ice cream, or too much cheese/cream. I have problems when I eat too much corn products and even too much sugar. 

So what you ate may not have been the chocolate chips, you could be developing an entirely new set of food problems. 

Hi KMMO...I'm actually wondering if I'm getting a new set of food problems too...why does that happen to so many celiacs?  Anyway, starting last Monday I went down to like 6 foods that I listed above and each day have added 1 or 2 things.  So, I'm at like 14 things now.  But, I'm doing better.  No D since Friday...yay!  And I guess I'll keep doing this and see what happens.

I'm sorry that you get mad at yourself for having celiac disease...it's not your fault, you didn't bring it on yourself.  Now, you are living with it and hopefully thriving with it...but don't be mad at you.  :)   I've been mad at the disease for sure and said very mature things like, "I hate this stupid autoimmune disease!"

Archived