This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Summer Parties

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

I am feeling the crunch of summer parties , weddings, graduations and just weekend parties. I feel bad my friends make me gluten-free things and I say , I know thats so sweet but with all my other intolerances I cannot eat gluten-free products. (I don't eat what other people cook) I try and be so nice about it. I try and explain I have to read the packaging before I can eat any thing. My friends even made a salad and I didn't eat any. I think I hurt feelings. But I don't know how CC'd things are. I even went to my step daughters and she just pours everything in a big bowl and then bam I cannot eat it. Even the chips I took got mixed up with a bunch of other stuff. Ughhh! So I go, I bring stuff, then it ends out getting mixed in with other stuff. So I told hubbs I will just eat before. I will still bring stuff, try and get the 1st of what I bring. But just feeling the crunch of all this stuff! I know this is kinda a rant and I don't intend it to be. It's actually kinda depressing. I used to say eat stuff or you hurt peoples feelings! Now I am the one that goes and cannot eat a thing. Pfft!! :( 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

completely understandable  :)  When I go to visit my parents, they finally are starting to get gluten-free but still have a long way to go.  I watch as they take a sandwich they are eating, and set it directly onto the kitchen counter, and all these alarms go off in my head.  We've talked about what needs to be done to make a meal safe, but I will still not eat anything they make unless I watch them make it and explain how it needs to be done.  I am not a micromanager in other areas of my life, but when it comes to my health and food preparations, I am quite the micromanager.  It's my health, and I'm the one who will suffer the consequences for several days if I get glutened. 

Do what you have to do to keep yourself healthy  :)

I am feeling the crunch of summer parties , weddings, graduations and just weekend parties. I feel bad my friends make me gluten-free things and I say , I know thats so sweet but with all my other intolerances I cannot eat gluten-free products. (I don't eat what other people cook) I try and be so nice about it. I try and explain I have to read the packaging before I can eat any thing. My friends even made a salad and I didn't eat any. I think I hurt feelings. But I don't know how CC'd things are. I even went to my step daughters and she just pours everything in a big bowl and then bam I cannot eat it. Even the chips I took got mixed up with a bunch of other stuff. Ughhh! So I go, I bring stuff, then it ends out getting mixed in with other stuff. So I told hubbs I will just eat before. I will still bring stuff, try and get the 1st of what I bring. But just feeling the crunch of all this stuff! I know this is kinda a rant and I don't intend it to be. It's actually kinda depressing. I used to say eat stuff or you hurt peoples feelings! Now I am the one that goes and cannot eat a thing. Pfft!! :(

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

I don't eat anything unless I make it and I carry an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack in it anywhere I go. Maybe if your friends saw you bring something like that with you, they would get that if you didn't bring it in your bag, it doesn't go in your mouth. I would ask them to please not make me anything again because you can't eat it and you feel bad when they go to the trouble. Maybe keep your food completely separate, and don't put it out with the other food at all. That way you make a stronger division between what you eat and what others eat.

luvs2eat Collaborator

My daughter and I just had to deal w/ something like this. Her father was so proud to show us all of the gluten-free stuff he bought for her graduation party and wouldn't let us... who've been living w/ celiac for 10+ years... buy what we know is good. People who aren't gluten-free think that if he says gluten-free on the box, it's good. So not true. There can be so many other issues.

I'm in the lunch in my own lunch box crowd. I simply tell people that while I so appreciate their concern and effort, I simply can not eat food that I don't prepare.

Archived