This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Carry-On Dinner While Flying?

christianmom247

christianmom247 Explorer

Hi! I'm going to be flying with an overnight stop in Atlanta. We'll be staying in a hotel but will not have access to a car or transportation, and the hotel does not have a restaurant. What can I either bring in my carry on that will be allowed and can be eaten without any cooking equipment, or something safe I can buy in the airport before leaving that will keep for a few hours?  I don't want to risk getting glutened on our vacation!  Thanks so much for your advice! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

There is a new PF Chang's at the Atlanta airport which has gluten-free options. We plan on eating there during our layover to London. Not sure of the location. You can pack a can of tuna, some whole fruit, nuts, bars, etc. as well. That is our plan.

IrishHeart Veteran

Go Picnic packs.

notme Experienced

There is a new PF Chang's at the Atlanta airport which has gluten-free options. We plan on eating there during our layover to London. Not sure of the location. You can pack a can of tuna, some whole fruit, nuts, bars, etc. as well. That is our plan.

wow!  this is great news :)  it seems like i always have a layover there   :wacko:

this is extreme, but once we got hung out in el paso and the only thing i had was a turkey samwich with mayo <yikes) and it was hot.  it was in a ziplock bag, so i bought a big cup of ice and jammed it in there.  found a bag of potato chips and survived the 10 hour delay (ate half my sandwich at a time, put the rest back in my 'cooler' lolz)

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yep, I am also bringing a collapsible smaller cooler and heavy-duty ziploc bags and will ask restaurants and hotels for ice dueling our trip. Will be carrying food in our rental cars and at each port stop. Disappointed that we might not be able to try all the local foods, but we know we will still have fun.

I am excited about PF Chang's. I even called them to confirm since the website mentioned a limited menu. We are typically in that airport at least twice a year and it will be nice to have a hot meal instead of watching my kid scarf down at chocolate croissant in terminal B while I nurse a coffee!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Hard boiled eggs can be easily carried in an egg carton.  You can bring canned meat such as salmon or chicken.  Make sure it has a pull tab.  Also pull it out of your bag before they search it.  They will be interested in what is in a metal container in your bag.

Dee

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I second Go Picnics.  I also make my own home-made Go Picnics for traveling sometimes, just to cut down on the cost.  Just be careful, at the airport I went to, they had Go Picnics that were NOT Gluten Free and I almost picked one up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I know good protein sources are important but I would love for you to also consider those with life threatening allergies to nuts/peanuts too. We all know how hard it is to find gluten-free snacks sometimes and it can be a real pain for sure.  It can be immediately life threatening to those with nut allergies.  (Yes, other allergies can be potentially life threatening as well but nuts/peanut have a higher instance of fatal anaphylaxis is why I mention them).  No one wants to have to make an emergency landing!!

• 2 weeks later...
cyclinglady Grand Master

I know good protein sources are important but I would love for you to also consider those with life threatening allergies to nuts/peanuts too. We all know how hard it is to find gluten-free snacks sometimes and it can be a real pain for sure.  It can be immediately life threatening to those with nut allergies.  (Yes, other allergies can be potentially life threatening as well but nuts/peanut have a higher instance of fatal anaphylaxis is why I mention them).  No one wants to have to make an emergency landing!!

I just flew Delta. On my first leg, they served peanuts. On the second leg, they did not. I asked why and was told that there was someone with a peanut allergy. Why not announce it on the plane for those who carry it on? But, in retrospect, we asked to be some of the first to be off the plane to make our connecting flight and the flight attendant made the announcement. Did anyone comply? Heck, no! So disappointed in folks sometimes! No, we did not make our flight!

cyclinglady Grand Master

PF Chang's at the Atlanta airport was great! We are eating there on the way back home.

Bad news that since we missed our flight to London (mechanical difficulties) we did not get the gluten-free meals we ordered because the new tickets for a new flight were re-issued less than 72 hours (yep, that is the policy). Of course two Delta employees both verified that we would still get gluten-free meals. Good thing I brought lots of food.

Lesson learned.....bring your own food as a back-up on a trip!

StephanieL Enthusiast

Some airlines will make an announcement and some don't. And some say they will and don't and others say they won't but will ;)  Just like all things "policy", there isn't a very clear policy ;) lol

Sorry you missed your connection :(

Archived