This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Got My Diagnosis

Seeking2012

Seeking2012 Contributor

Well, I got my bloodwork back about a week ago and yep, I'm celiac.

Immunoglobulin A: 137 mg/dL.
Reference: 91-414

Deamidated Gliadin Antibodies, IgA: 21 units
Reference:
0-19 = negative
20-30 = weak positive
>30 = Moderate to strong positive

t-Transglutaminase IgA: 28 U/mL
Reference:
0-3 = negative
4-10 = weak positive
>10 = positive

But I'm not new to the forums because my sister is Celiac and my parents are weak positives (the lab paperwork said tTG > 4 is weak positive). Mom and other sister are a 4 and dad is a 7 (and those numbers are from 2010; mom, dad and non-celiac sis are scheduled for another celiac test in 2015). So, here I am. I'm just now getting over the shock and denial...

I also got tested for thyroid function/antibodies...

TSH: 3.36 uIU/mL (some would say the reference range is outdated and that mine is a little high--what do you think?)
Reference: 0.45-4.5

Free T4: 1.49 ng/dL
Reference: 0.82-1.77

Free T3: 3.1 (this seems like a good number)
Reference: 2.0-4.4

Reverse T3: 33.7 ng/dL (what does this mean?)
Reference: 9.2-24.1

T4 (I'm guessing this is total): 10.7 ug/dL
Reference: 4.5-12.0

Thyroid Peroxidase TPO: 10 IU/mL
Reference: 0-34

Thyroglobulin Antibody: 177 IU/mL (yikes)
Reference: 0.0-0.9

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beth01 Enthusiast

Welcome to the Celiac club!

Are they doing other thyroid testing since it seems you have an underlying thyroid disorder? Thyroiditis seems to cause an elevated thyroglobulin test as can Grave's disease and Hashimoto's.

My doc usually wants me in the 1-2 range for my TSH but right now it's hovering around 5. Since I am not having symptoms of a hypo thyroid ( muscle cramps being the major one for me) we aren't going to adjust my meds right now since I can't keep weight on. I was diagnosed with Grave's in 2003.

Hope that helps. Thanks for posting your lab's reference ranges.  Sometimes trying to help without them is impossible lol, they vary so much from lab to lab based on their methodologies and instrumentation

Seeking2012 Contributor

Welcome to the Celiac club!

Are they doing other thyroid testing since it seems you have an underlying thyroid disorder? Thyroiditis seems to cause an elevated thyroglobulin test as can Grave's disease and Hashimoto's.

My doc usually wants me in the 1-2 range for my TSH but right now it's hovering around 5. Since I am not having symptoms of a hypo thyroid ( muscle cramps being the major one for me) we aren't going to adjust my meds right now since I can't keep weight on. I was diagnosed with Grave's in 2003.

Hope that helps. Thanks for posting your lab's reference ranges.  Sometimes trying to help without them is impossible lol, they vary so much from lab to lab based on their methodologies and instrumentation

Thanks.

What other thyroid testing is there to be done? On some other forum they mentioned an ultrasound but why do I need that? I'm sure it's extremely expensive. And I had a doctor friend review my test results; he said I don't have a thyroid problem because my TSH, T4 and T3 are all in range but I still do worry about my antibodies; that isn't healthy. I hope that going gluten-free will also bring my thyroid antibodies down.

I am not convinced that there's nothing we can do as people with autoimmune diseases. I read that Dr. Alessio Fasano believes that people lose the immunity to gluten and become celiac because of a change in the microbiome and I have read that there is belief out there in the medical world that probiotics (perhaps a few specific strains) can regulate zonulin/gut permeability and heal/ameliorate/cure Celiac. I wonder if anyone here knows more on this topic than I?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Unless you have nodules or cancer runs in your family, you probably do not need an ultrasound. I have nodules, but they have not increased in size in 20 years. Your TS is probably just fine. I can function well at that level. To bring your thyroid antibodies down, you may consider taking a tiny dose of thyroid, but I would wait to see if they decrease after being on the gluten-free diet for six months to a year. Anything to bring down inflammation is bound to help!

BTW, my antibodies have been over 2,000 many times but have never come down below 1,000. That was all before my celiac disease diagnosis. Maybe in another year, I can ask to get them retested. In the meantime, my thyroid has been stable for the last six months! Yeah!

I will defer to those posters who are more thyroid savvy and my T3 and T4 ranges are always normal, so I have not researched (or retained that information!)

I was a weak positive, but showed a Marsh Stage IIIB on my biopsy. Anemia was my main symptom. I wish you a speedy recovery!

• 1 month later...
BLM44 Newbie

Hi!  I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease...today (my biopsy results were just posted).  My celiac panel blood test results were in the hundreds, so my doc was confident that my biospy would be positive, too, and it was.

But I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroidits (autoimmune hypothyroidism) in 2002.

Your antibody numbers would seem to suggest that you have an autoimmune disorder.  You would need your doctor to tell you exactly what that means. I don't know (remember) if that means Hashimotos or Graves, or if a specific antibody test needs to be done for those.   

Your TSH is within normal limits.  From everything I've read and learned, women feel better when their TSH is between 1-2, but if you are within normal limits, your doctor may not prescribe you anything at this time.  If you do have an autoimmune disorder (Hashimotos or Graves), you would need to get your TSH and Free T3 / T4 tested every 3-6 months to monitor.  But I would definitely get your doctor to explain in greater detail about the antibody test. 

millerb68 Newbie

In my recent testing which brought a celiac diagnosis, my thyroid levels all tested normal, also, but my doctor diagnosed me with subclinical hypothyroid (Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link I had never heard of it before, and my previous doctor never mentioned it. She has me taking T4/T3. If you are concerned, I would do some research and present it to your doc. 

Archived