This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Diarrhea?

Kfrog

Kfrog Rookie

I'm having a bit of a problem. Six days ago we got food from a Thai restaurant where we've never had trouble. Well trouble indeed occured- some cross contamination or something. Within about fifteen minutes I felt gross. Twenty minutes I was running for the bathroom.

And I've kept running from the last SIX DAYS. I've never had constant diarrhea like this for this long. I'm defecating essentially brown water. It turned to what we call "sick dog" stools, the texture of like, rice porridge for a day or two, and now its back to pure liquid. I'm drinking apple juice and water so I'm not too dehyrdated. I've tried immodium and gas x and nothing is slowing it or making me feel any better. Its been accompanied by that lovely gut cramping all up and down my abdomen and an occasional bit of vomiting. My hands are feet are also swollen and achy.

I'm not even sure what to do! I don't even know my exact question- has this happened to you? any suggestions? how can i feel better?

I've been gluten free for about six months and I'm also dairy and butter free. This is my first major cross contamination so I don't know if its just how its working now, but ugh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gilligan Enthusiast

I'm having a bit of a problem. Six days ago we got food from a Thai restaurant where we've never had trouble. Well trouble indeed occured- some cross contamination or something. Within about fifteen minutes I felt gross. Twenty minutes I was running for the bathroom.

And I've kept running from the last SIX DAYS. I've never had constant diarrhea like this for this long. I'm defecating essentially brown water. It turned to what we call "sick dog" stools, the texture of like, rice porridge for a day or two, and now its back to pure liquid. I'm drinking apple juice and water so I'm not too dehyrdated. I've tried immodium and gas x and nothing is slowing it or making me feel any better. Its been accompanied by that lovely gut cramping all up and down my abdomen and an occasional bit of vomiting. My hands are feet are also swollen and achy.

I'm not even sure what to do! I don't even know my exact question- has this happened to you? any suggestions? how can i feel better?

I've been gluten free for about six months and I'm also dairy and butter free. This is my first major cross contamination so I don't know if its just how its working now, but ugh.

Maybe it's time to call the doctor or visit the ER.  That sounds extreme to me.

Kfrog Rookie

That's what my husband thinks too! :) I may be taking a trip in tomorrow. This whole awful stomach pain thing is getting VERY old VERY quickly! :P

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I'm sorry.  It has happened to me.  I stopped going to restaurants.  It could be something besides gluten like food poisoning.  It's a good idea to check that out.  I found digestive enzymes to help during times like that. 

IrishHeart Veteran

Gluten passes through the system and then, most people have a few bouts of D for a day or so...and then you get past it. You may not feel great, but you do not have continuous D for 6 days.

It sounds like a stomach virus, food poisoning or something else.

I've got a round of it going here, if it gives you any comfort having a pal. I know it is not gluten in my case.

I think someone at the gym had something and they generously shared it with me. :unsure:  It's not always gluten that can make us feel wonky.

Get yourself checked out. SO many things can cause the big D.

Sometimes it is best not to take things that stop the D--you know, let it get out of your system? but if those OTC meds are not working, then something is amiss. 

Stay hydrated ... Now, if you will excuse me.....I've got "to go". ^_^  I hope you feel better soon!

Kfrog Rookie

I'm pretty sure I don't have food poisoning, my whole family ate from the food and no one else is sick. Luckily it seems to have slowed down as of this morning. Hopefully it sticks!

C-Girl Contributor

I agree, it sounds like food poisoning to me - maybe norovirus. Here's a handy chart that might help diagnose Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm pretty sure I don't have food poisoning, my whole family ate from the food and no one else is sick. Luckily it seems to have slowed down as of this morning. Hopefully it sticks!

It only takes a little bit of something in a single bite of something hon. I've had food poisoning from one oyster off a plateful that my husband ate from too.

One person with norovirus touches your plate for example...and well, that's just how it happens, I am afraid.

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi there...just wanted to add something. When my kids have had diarrhea for any reason the pediatrician has always said to not let them have apple juice because it can make it worse. So...maybe try hydrating with coconut water, water and ginger tea. Another thing would need eating a gluten free version of the brat diet and see if that helps. I do understand...my primary symptom when I was diagnosed was non stop D for months. And when I've been gluten ed it comes back and lasts about a week. I hope you feel better!

Archived