This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rant - 'juice Plus'

KCG91

KCG91 Enthusiast

This 'Juice Plus+' 'lifestyle change' thing keeps popping up on my Facebook feed (well, it did, I've blocked it all now). It's another fad - £32 a month for a load of milkshake powder and 'dietary advice and meal plans' from people who have no more nutritional/dietary knowledge than I do - so the advice goes as far as 'stop eating junk'. The best bit is it's tagline: 'The next best thing to fruit and vegetables'. Why spend an additional £32 a month to be told to stop eating junk and drink milkshakes instead...why not spend the £32 on fruit and veg?! I know that this is completely irrelevant, one of many such fads and that I'm food-policing people who I'd like to have tolerance for my special diet but...it really bugs me, especially as I see people I know buying into it. And I already bore my friends and family to death enough about food so I thought this was a better place to get it off my chest :P I'm off to eat carrot sticks and feel sanctimonious ;) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

I totally feel with ya.  A couple people I know sell body wraps and all these crazy weight loss supplements, one girl is so pushy I hid her facebook feed.  She posts before and after pictures of herself and the after looks no different... or worse.  So odd, lol.

Eating vegetables is too hard, I am going to shell out mad cash for a magic pill instead!

KCG91 Enthusiast

Haha! Glad it's not just me ;) Yeah those before and afters... I'm interested in genuine before and afters of people who I know who've worked really hard to become healthier. NOT badly cropped images of some stranger's torso! I don't even believe half of them are from the diets/treatments they say they are. Aha yes, yay magic pills! If I had an extra £32 to spend on fruit and veg I'd eat fancy berries and exotic things ALL THE TIME.

user001 Contributor

Some of those before and afters it looks like they are bloating out their bellies in the before. I actually did a little looking into those wraps. They are made from stuff that reduces bloating and tightens skin (think hemorrhoid cream for puffy eyes) and it wears off in a month. It's not for real. Also their supplements and diet are common sense stuff that would help u lose weight...

Like eating like a rabbit.

mmmm carrotts!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Martyg24
    Newest Member
    Martyg24
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Tanner L
      Yes and variations in their sources for natural and artificial flavors could be the culprit as well.  I might be on the more sensitive side, but I do fine with McDonald's fries and burgers if I take the bun off, and other foods that have certified gluten free ingredients and only cross contamination risk preventing the gluten-free certification. 
    • trents
      Yes, the yeast could have been cultured on a wheat substrate. But another batch may use a yeast extract cultured on something else that did not contain gluten. These food companies will switch suppliers according to what is the cheapest source at any given time. I take it you are a pretty sensitive celiac.
    • Tanner L
      The regular cheddar and sour cream Ruffles have yeast extract, which is probably the source of gluten.  Pinpointing the exact cause of gluten exposure is always tricky, but I've come to learn my initial reaction to gluten compared to the ongoing symptoms that will occur days, weeks, and sometimes months later.  
    • plumbago
      Yes, that's probably best. (Honestly, that is an extraordinarily high number, I've never seen anything like that. I repeated my blood tests (not taken while pregnant BTW); before giving up cake, pizza, and beer, I wanted to know for sure! You don't wanna mess around with anything while pregnant. Congratulations and best of luck!
    • trents
      Here are the ingredients listed for the regular sour cream and cheddar Ruffles: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola, Corn, Soybean, and/or Sunflower Oil), Maltodextrin (Made from Corn), Salt, Whey, Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Onion Powder, Monosodium Glutamate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Buttermilk, Sour Cream (Cultured Cream, Skim Milk), Lactose, Butter (Cream, Salt), Sodium Caseinate, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Skim Milk, Blue Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Lactic Acid, Garlic Powder, Artificial Color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5), Whey Protein Isolate, and Milk Protein Concentrate. CONTAINS MILK INGREDIENTS. Here are the ingredients listed for the baked ones: INGREDIENTS: DRIED POTATOES, CORN STARCH, CORN OIL, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN (MADE FROM CORN), SALT, SOY LECITHIN, DEXTROSE, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ONION POWDER, CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, BLUE CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), CITRIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL COLOR (YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6), SKIM MILK, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, GARLIC POWDER, LACTIC ACID, DISODIUM INOSINATE, AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS   They look a lot the same except for the baked product contains soy. What do you suppose is the hidden source of gluten in the regular Ruffles that is not found in the baked ones? Could you be mistaken in attributing your reaction to the Ruffles? Could it have been from gluten in something else you ate around the same time or even a non-gluten tummy event?