This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Ever Been Glutened By Ground Beef?

across

across Contributor

Twice I have bought some grass-fed ground beef and had symptoms of being glutened afterward. They were not patties, just regular grass-fed ground beef. Both times it was the same brand. Unfortunately, I have no other choice for grass-fed beef at the supermarket that I shop at (I know I can get it locally, but it's more of a pain).

The only other thing it might have been is that both times I served the beef in gluten-free spaghetti sauce (two different brands). I didn't serve them with any kind of pasta. In the past, I have been sensitive to tomatoes, but I was at the point that I thought I could eat them now.

Has anyone here ever had symptoms with ground beef cross contamination?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HavaneseMom Explorer

Maybe???

Can I ask you which brand it was that made you feel ill? I have felt a little off after eating a particular pre-packaged brand of grass fed beef, but I'm not sure how it would be from gluten, so I just assumed it didn't agree with me.

Otherwise, if you are buying it from the butcher case at the grocery store, I have read that they sometimes re-grind the beef on site and it could possibly get cross-contaminated depending on their handling practices or if there are breaded products in the same case. I do think it would be unusual for there to be problem with ground beef in general though.

beth01 Enthusiast

Are there mushrooms in the sauce?

notme Experienced

never from the beef itself (grass fed or otherwise) but i have done myself in with seasoning blends once or twice.  

once, we were on vacation and we patted out a ton of burgers (ok, 3 paper plates full) very carefully and then my friend took all the plates and stacked them (so only the top ones weren't cc'd from the kitchen counter) on his way out to the grill.  i grabbed the top plate and yelled at him.  clueless......  :o

what did you cook it in?  have you replaced your kitchen items that could be suspect (scratched non-stick pots & pans, wooden spoons, etc) ?

kareng Grand Master

Are there mushrooms in the sauce?

Mushrooms are safe for Celiacs

beth01 Enthusiast

That's good to know.  I seem to react to them the same way I do gluten.  wonder why?

LauraTX Rising Star

Did you thoroughly cook the meat and avoid cross contamination from raw meat juices to the cooked meal?  Have you tried eating just tomato sauce without the ground beef to see if your problems with tomatoes are recurring?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NatureChick Rookie

I've been glutened by sausages made by my grocer's butcher but not by packaged meats. I don't know if I've just been lucky or if the brands I buy simply don't have any gluten ingredients in any of their products that could cause cross contamination on equipment. I'd check out what other products that manufacturer makes in order to see if there is something that would make their facilities obviously not gluten free.

Of course, you may never know what it was. I still suspect that some of my spices are a problem in my pantry - darned anti-flaking agents my biggest suspect.

user001 Contributor

I stopped eating beef almost 10 years ago because it made me nearly sick to my stomach every time I ate it. That was the first time I cut something from my diet. I would check spices and do elimination of some ingredients next time.

IrishHeart Veteran

Twice I have bought some grass-fed ground beef and had symptoms of being glutened afterward. They were not patties, just regular grass-fed ground beef. Both times it was the same brand. Unfortunately, I have no other choice for grass-fed beef at the supermarket that I shop at (I know I can get it locally, but it's more of a pain).

The only other thing it might have been is that both times I served the beef in gluten-free spaghetti sauce (two different brands). I didn't serve them with any kind of pasta. In the past, I have been sensitive to tomatoes, but I was at the point that I thought I could eat them now.

Has anyone here ever had symptoms with ground beef cross contamination?

Plain grass fed beef is not going to contain gluten. I cannot imagine how it could possibly be CCed. 

If you have a sensitivity to tomatoes and you served the beef in tomato sauce, then that's the more likely culprit.

When you have more than one ingredient in the preparation, it is not easy to determine what caused the symptoms.

Not everything is because of gluten. I have GI issues from tomatoes and a few other foods. it's not gluten cross contamination.

Single spices are G F. You should carefully check "seasoning blends" however. 

user001 Contributor

I could be wrong, but i think people have problems with certain combinations too. I know someone who gets terrible stomach issues from eating dairy with spicy food, but separately they are fine.

across Contributor

Thanks for all the responses so far! I plan to reply to them, but things have gone into overdrive here and I won't be able to respond until sometime next week. 

Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you, or ungrateful for your help. :-)

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Yes, I believe so - and it was some fancy 'brand' labeled Gluten Free.  No way to prove it, of course, but I've avoided that brand ever since.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but it comes in a black based seal pack and has fancy seasoned flavors in addition to the plain one (which is what got me).

across Contributor

Maybe???

Can I ask you which brand it was that made you feel ill? I have felt a little off after eating a particular pre-packaged brand of grass fed beef, but I'm not sure how it would be from gluten, so I just assumed it didn't agree with me.

Otherwise, if you are buying it from the butcher case at the grocery store, I have read that they sometimes re-grind the beef on site and it could possibly get cross-contaminated depending on their handling practices or if there are breaded products in the same case. I do think it would be unusual for there to be problem with ground beef in general though.

I can't recall the brand name at the moment, but it was a pre-packaged brand from Australia.

across Contributor

never from the beef itself (grass fed or otherwise) but i have done myself in with seasoning blends once or twice.  

once, we were on vacation and we patted out a ton of burgers (ok, 3 paper plates full) very carefully and then my friend took all the plates and stacked them (so only the top ones weren't cc'd from the kitchen counter) on his way out to the grill.  i grabbed the top plate and yelled at him.  clueless......  :o

what did you cook it in?  have you replaced your kitchen items that could be suspect (scratched non-stick pots & pans, wooden spoons, etc) ?

I haven't yet replaced my cookware. (I'm still pretty new to all this).  I wonder if that might be part of the problem. Using an acidic tomato sauce would be likely to loosen anything clinging to the pans or the wooden spoons.

across Contributor

Did you thoroughly cook the meat and avoid cross contamination from raw meat juices to the cooked meal?  Have you tried eating just tomato sauce without the ground beef to see if your problems with tomatoes are recurring?

Everything was thoroughly cooked, and raw cross contamination avoided. I do think I have a recurring problem with tomatoes. 

across Contributor

Plain grass fed beef is not going to contain gluten. I cannot imagine how it could possibly be CCed. 

In a pre-packaged product like I bought, I'm not sure how it would be cc'd either. However, I can definitely see how it might be cc'd if it's prepared in the grocery store. They also make other things that could contain gluten (think pre-seasoned patties, etc.)

But I think you're right that the tomatoes are the likely culprit.

IrishHeart Veteran

Everything was thoroughly cooked, and raw cross contamination avoided. I do think I have a recurring problem with tomatoes. 

I know I do, which makes me sad...I like tomatoes and a lot of my cooking repertoire involves them too. sigh.

maybe in time, you can add them back in! I have been able to get most things back. Hang in there!

across Contributor

Yes, I believe so - and it was some fancy 'brand' labeled Gluten Free.  No way to prove it, of course, but I've avoided that brand ever since.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but it comes in a black based seal pack and has fancy seasoned flavors in addition to the plain one (which is what got me).

Interesting. This was a sealed pack, and I believe the back of it was black.

across Contributor

I know I do, which makes me sad...I like tomatoes and a lot of my cooking repertoire involves them too. sigh.

maybe in time, you can add them back in! I have been able to get most things back. Hang in there!

I'm sorry, IrishHeart! It's tough to have multiple food issues. I seem to have issues with all of the nightshades -- tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant, and also with dairy and with most nuts. I'm hoping to get some of these back someday. I think (I hope) I just tried too soon.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Interesting. This was a sealed pack, and I believe the back of it was black.

I'll try and check on the name of the brand and post back.  I've always wondered how I got glutened by this, but if yours was the same that might explain it.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm sorry, IrishHeart! It's tough to have multiple food issues. I seem to have issues with all of the nightshades -- tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant, and also with dairy and with most nuts. I'm hoping to get some of these back someday. I think (I hope) I just tried too soon.

No worries, now...I once had a very short list of "okay" foods....I even managed to get back eggs, which have given me grief for nearly my whole life!

and dairy....I lived without cheese,citrus, coffee, etc for nearly a year....got them all back. 

I still have a few that seem to "argue with me" lol.....but it's okay! I can't tolerate high histamines foods  or MSG or soy...but there is still plenty to eat and I gained a bunch of weight, (some I did not need! lol)

so..it's all good.

Just hang in there and healing will happen. 

LauraTX Rising Star

I haven't yet replaced my cookware. (I'm still pretty new to all this).  I wonder if that might be part of the problem. Using an acidic tomato sauce would be likely to loosen anything clinging to the pans or the wooden spoons.

If you replace anything first, go buy a pack of cheap spoons to replace those porous wooden spoons.  There can definitely be things hiding in there.

IrishHeart Veteran

Nothing clings to pans after you give them a good wash, unless it has deep scratches.

I never use wooden utensils or cutting boards, "gluten worries "or otherwise. 

They are porous so they harbor odors and they  absorb everything and anything you put on them, including bacteria.

You may want to get some  heat -resistant silicone utensils.

Steph1 Apprentice

My dad recently told me that contrary to popular belief, wood is best.  Quick search I saw this

Open Original Shared Link

Archived