• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

First Week Of Gluten Free...

2 posts in this topic

Theeva    0

I've just started gluten free, I've had 2 or 3 negative antibody tests for coeliacs throughout my life but thats what everyone keeps coming back to. I can't get a biopsy done due to a bleeding disorder so I'm just going that this is what i have. And I feel like somethings up. I mean I've had around 5 days without gluten now and my body has just gone mental. 

Firstly i lost 1.5kg (from water weight) then i started to get massive migraines where i couldn't get out of bed, I'm completely exhausted all the time, always thirsty, my throat hurts like i have a cold and I'm feeling so generally run down. but my stomach feels great.

Did anybody else experience a reaction like this?  A nurse i talked to suggested that it could be my intestines finally dealing with the large amount of inflammatory cytokines floating around in my gut and that it's sent me kind of toxic. Which i guess does make sense....

Did anybody else experience this? how long till you started feeling better?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

w8in4dave    75

There is a withdrawal period, but it is different for everyone. Mine was a couple weeks. But I had periods of feeling good then bam I'd feel bad again. I didn't realize it was withdrawals at that time. I hope you feel better soon. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ccllcc46

• Topics

• Sometimes this happens, odd as it might be, you have to be eating gluten for the test first off daily. We call it a gluten challenge. Second some people due test negative on the blood test but can have celiac which is why we consider the endoscope and biopsy the golden standard. Also the gluten test back when you had it done previously was much less accurate then it is now days or at least it seems.  Do you have your numbers? We have had many cases where the doctor said it was negative...and the idiot could obviously not read the test cause when member posted their lab forms we can see it obviously positive. What ever the case we know what the issue is now and your on your way to getting better. Unlike most AI disease we know the cure and fix for celiac is a strict gluten free diet. So you can now begin you road to healing......and yeah I know that feeling of finding out the nerve issues....sadly nerve damage is VERY slow to heal unlike gut damage. But it has it's odd messed up benefits, I have most coordination back but it comes and goes in waves. Funny thing, I can grab stuff out of the oven or burn myself and the reaction to it delayed or non existent pain wise. So they do not bother me. I can cut my hand and go "oh look I should super glue that back together" without the pain, I just logically deal with it and do not have much panic or pain unless it is VERY deep.
    • This has been my life for the past three years! Oh man! I have had every muscle and nerve test known to man and...nothing. The doctors finally stopped trying and just referred me for cognitive behavior therapy.  I'm still confused about the negative blood test though?
    • Thank you @Megamaniac - I don't hear about chest tightness as a symptom of being glutened, so it's good to hear of someone else. My current symptoms aren't bad, just annoying. It's hard to tell if it's anxiety tightening my chest, or something else. But since it's only been happening since I ate that damn tortilla, my guess is it's gluten-related. My doctor made me have an echocardiogram and stress test to rule out cardiac issues before he would do the endoscopy (this was a couple of years ago). I learned that telling a doctor "my chest tightness gets worse when I walk up a hill" makes everything else grind to a hart until the heart gets checked out!
    • They use the same fryers for everything, so the fresh fried corn tortilla chips are gluten contaminated when they get dropped in the fryers.....
    • Yes, gluten ataxia is one form where it effects your brain and nervous system. I lose feelings in my hands and feet, have all kinds of muscle issues when even traces get introduced via CC or walking through the bakery section of the grocery store -_ - Last time I got glutened at a restaurant back in 2016 I got home and lost full motor control and collapsed on the floor and started vomiting unable to move my body.

Your veggie issues made me think of a few other things. I can not eat those veggies in the produce section, they put some kind of veggie wax on them that makes me vomit no matter what, makes a waxy film in my stomach and they float.....I have to buy farmers market fresh, or canned no salt (del monte canned no salt spinach is my number 1 vitamin a and k staple in omelettes) Other members have issues with glyphosate and have to have organic produce that is not treated on the farm with these chemicals. Some members develop histamine response issues so foods are limited by histamine number and how they are prepared. Just a few things to consider. UPDATE I suggest supplementation to deal with those nerve issues. Celiac causes issues with b-vitamins, magnesium and a bunch of others. So supplementation works wonders. Here are my suggestions Liquid Health Stress & Energy + Liquid Health Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day in a beverage like tea.] Either Doctors Best Magnesium or Natural Vitality Calm. If you have constipation issues calm is suggested. Note start off small dose like 1/4 tsp slowly raise the dose to the full amount. Some of use need more or less, depending on activity levels etc.
        Liquid Health Vitamin D drops might be needed, some of use have issues with this also.
        We suggest starting off eating whole foods only, dropping dairy and oats (some of us react to oats just like gluten). You can try introducing processed gluten free foods later.
  • Upcoming Events