This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Store-Cut Pineapple

veryami1

kenlove Rising Star

there is a new one grown by Frankie Sekiya called mele kalima or Honey gold with zero acid. Best pineapple ever but not being shipped yet.

Those Maui golds are always good. Never had a disappointing one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

you can get them at any time of year  but it depends on the store and if they choose to order them as the cost is more than Cost Rica and Philippines in many locations.  Doug MacCluer is ther president of Maui Gold, a really good no acid one. They ship all the time around the mainland.

Thanks, I've been looking for them for a few months and they haven't had them yet locally.

kenlove Rising Star

check the local  wholefoods-- they can buy nationally from Maui Gold. 

Thanks, I've been looking for them for a few months and they haven't had them yet locally.

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks Ken...I found this conversation very interesting...and am looking forward to that new 'Frankie S' pineapple winging it's way to California one day soon :)

check the local  wholefoods-- they can buy nationally from Maui Gold. 

We don't have any.  Trader Joe's?

kenlove Rising Star

dont know if trader joes has them or not but you can also get online  Open Original Shared Link

We don't have any.  Trader Joe's?

kenlove Rising Star

it is really good  but there is another  one that is white on the inside called sugarloaf. Thats also amazing.  Maybe its best to just visit hawaii!

Thanks Ken...I found this conversation very interesting...and am looking forward to that new 'Frankie S' pineapple winging it's way to California one day soon :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

it is really good  but there is another  one that is white on the inside called sugarloaf. Thats also amazing.  Maybe its best to just visit hawaii!

hey, everyone....hear that............We're all going to Ken's house for pineapple!! :D whoohooo! 

GottaSki Mentor

Why didn't I think of that...on my way ;)

dont know if trader joes has them or not but you can also get online  Open Original Shared Link

Thank you

kenlove Rising Star

that would be fine -- except im on the road till aug. 10!

last year I took a group to the Maui Gold fields about 10 minutes from Maui  airport. - you could eat as many ripe pineappes as you wanted  right out of the field!  Im still full!

• 3 weeks later...
Stormy one Newbie

We love fresh pineapple but I hate the mess associated with cutting a ripe and juicy one and now use slicer/ corer. I love it... you can do it in under a min with almost no mess and its perfect every time. Here is a link o the one I have (I opted for the stainless steel one ($20) but there is another brand that is plastic ($10) at BBB) Open Original Shared Link

HavaneseMom Explorer

I was following this topic when it started, since I have been wondering about the handling of store cut produce.

Out of curiousity I called Meijer, which is a major super store chain in my area, and found out that they cut the produce on site at each store (not the distribution center) and they have a designated area in the produce department where there are no gluten containing products and it is not near the bakery (no flour dust in the air).

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is when I asked if they wash the produce before cutting it, she said they do wash the berries, but most of the other produce like melons and pineapple are just cut up without washing the exterior first. That's not something I feel comfortable eating myself, I wash all my produce before eating or slicing it, but my husband has a strong digestive system and couldn't care less about that and loves to eat the store bought pineapple, etc.

Kenlove - Thanks for the pineapple suggestions. My hubs is crazy for pineapple, so I just ordered him some Sugarloaf pineapple for a special birthday treat. It should be here on Wednesday and I can't wait to try it. The Maui Gold site says they carry it at Costco, so I'm hoping to find that locally to try too.

psawyer Proficient

HavaneseMom, when you eat melons or pineapples, do you eat the exterior? I think most people don't. If it is a part you cut off and discard, I would not be concerned if it had not been washed.

LauraTX Rising Star

I was following this topic when it started, since I have been wondering about the handling of store cut produce.

Out of curiousity I called Meijer, which is a major super store chain in my area, and found out that they cut the produce on site at each store (not the distribution center) and they have a designated area in the produce department where there are no gluten containing products and it is not near the bakery (no flour dust in the air).

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is when I asked if they wash the produce before cutting it, she said they do wash the berries, but most of the other produce like melons and pineapple are just cut up without washing the exterior first. That's not something I feel comfortable eating myself, I wash all my produce before eating or slicing it, but my husband has a strong digestive system and couldn't care less about that and loves to eat the store bought pineapple, etc.

Kenlove - Thanks for the pineapple suggestions. My hubs is crazy for pineapple, so I just ordered him some Sugarloaf pineapple for a special birthday treat. It should be here on Wednesday and I can't wait to try it. The Maui Gold site says they carry it at Costco, so I'm hoping to find that locally to try too.

HavaneseMom, when you eat melons or pineapples, do you eat the exterior? I think most people don't. If it is a part you cut off and discard, I would not be concerned if it had not been washed.

You actually do need to wash the outside of melons.  When you slice a melon, the knife passes material from the skin area onto the cut surface, which goes into your mouth. 

Open Original Shared Link

Havanesemom, I would send some info back to corporate asking them to change their practices.  Gross.

kenlove Rising Star

Sugarloaf is amazing  -- there is another  one just starting out called mele kalima which is even  sweeter with  zero acid.

now its only on oahu but they just planted 40 acres of it.

Gemini Experienced

You actually do need to wash the outside of melons.  When you slice a melon, the knife passes material from the skin area onto the cut surface, which goes into your mouth. 

Havanesemom, I would send some info back to corporate asking them to change their practices.  Gross.

I happen to agree with Peter on this one.  But I think the worry has nothing to do with gluten.  That stretches into the realm of unreasonable worry.  I do not wash produce because I am paranoid that it has gluten smeared all over the surface but because of bacteria and germs. There are people out there who I wouldn't let touch the door handle on my car, let alone the food I eat.  Many people have handled melons on their route to the food store and it makes sense to wash them before cutting from a germy viewpoint only. But if you think you can take a gluten hit from unwashed melons.........put the order in for the plastic bubble soon!  ^_^

LauraTX Rising Star

I happen to agree with Peter on this one.  But I think the worry has nothing to do with gluten.  That stretches into the realm of unreasonable worry.  I do not wash produce because I am paranoid that it has gluten smeared all over the surface but because of bacteria and germs. There are people out there who I wouldn't let touch the door handle on my car, let alone the food I eat.  Many people have handled melons on their route to the food store and it makes sense to wash them before cutting from a germy viewpoint only. But if you think you can take a gluten hit from unwashed melons.........put the order in for the plastic bubble soon!  ^_^

Just to clarify, I was talking about germs, not gluten- I didn't mention that anywhere in my post.  The links I provided give information on proper washing of produce to prevent transmission of pathogens.  All produce should be washed before preparation or consumption.

HavaneseMom Explorer

I see I should have expanded on the reason why I wash my produce before eating or slicing it.

It is due to bacteria and dirt like LauraTX mentioned, and added links with info about, not gluten. I forgot that I need to be more specific about these things on this forum, since most topics are gluten related and it could easily be assumed I was talking about gluten.

Bacteria can cause digestive issues and illness as well, so that is why I choose to wash my produce. I understand that everyone doesn't feel it's necessary, but I feel it's necessary for myself.

kenlove - Sugarloaf pineapple arrived and it is amazing!!! It's nothing like the pineapple we usually buy around here. It is so good! I'm going to juice the skin like you suggested too. These babies were pricey, so I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of them :-) .Well worth it for a special occasion.

IrishHeart Veteran

I find it interesting that on JULY 5, Ami asked a simple question:

Anyone ever asked a grocery store how they cut their freshly cut fruit? Just had a reaction and I don't know to what - but I did have pineapple from the grocery store that was precut and sold in a plastic container. Any chance that could be it?

Some of us gave simple answers in response. My opinion (for what that is still worth around here after all this time is....)  "probably not, hon. Maybe something else caused your discomfort."

It's pineapple. It's gluten free. I eat it. 

Some gave elaborate "what ifs" and other various scenarios...because, well, we may be construed as a "helpful bunch" with lots of stories to tell. LOL

And it's now JULY 31, and I kept watching this thread --purely out of curiosity just for this one sole 

purpose....to see if the OP ever comes back to say anything.

She has not returned to utter a peep.  And as happens often, by now,  she's probably thinking "I'm fine now, it was just  a bit of gastritis... and I'm sorry I asked". 

Just wanted to share my observations.  ^_^

kenlove Rising Star

the skin is amazing! I just some skin for a food safety and  preservation class I'm  teaching on Kauai yesterday. 20 year veteran chefs never knew what they were missing by not juicing skin.  Enjoy

I see I should have expanded on the reason why I wash my produce before eating or slicing it.

It is due to bacteria and dirt like LauraTX mentioned, and added links with info about, not gluten. I forgot that I need to be more specific about these things on this forum, since most topics are gluten related and it could easily be assumed I was talking about gluten.

Bacteria can cause digestive issues and illness as well, so that is why I choose to wash my produce. I understand that everyone doesn't feel it's necessary, but I feel it's necessary for myself.

kenlove - Sugarloaf pineapple arrived and it is amazing!!! It's nothing like the pineapple we usually buy around here. It is so good! I'm going to juice the skin like you suggested too. These babies were pricey, so I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of them :-) .Well worth it for a special occasion.

It is recommended that melons be scrubbed with a produce brush before consuming because they can cause food poisoning: Open Original Shared Link

Sorry to continue on this side track, but 33 people died of a listeria outbreak in 2011.

Archived