This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Gluten-Free Tostitos?

Kias4

Kias4 Apprentice

I have been glutened the last three days, and the only common item I can think of is the chips I've been eating. They are Tostitos brand, and the bag says gluten-free.  I've ready elsewhere that other celiacs claim to have been glutened by Tostitos even thought they're marked gluten-free.  Has anyone else experienced this?  And any other tortilla chip recommendations?  I prefer thin and crispy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skullgrl Rookie

They may be gluten free but if I remember correctly the Tostitos are made on a shared line (at least they are in Canada). The whole new law for gluten free labeling in the U.S. (I'm not sure where you are located) is not in effect until August 2nd, meaning the term gluten free on foods don't really carry much weight.

kareng Grand Master

US list.  As you can see, any that are marked gluten-free are tested for gluten.  

Open Original Shared Link

GF Lover Rising Star

Also you said "glutened the last three days".  It may have been something else you ate on Day one since gluten reactions can last for up to a month.  Of course, this is only if you have Celiac.  I am not sure of length of reactions due to NCGI.

Colleen

user001 Contributor

Maybe it is what you are dipping it in? Maybe its the soybean oil or whatever other ingredients there are in the chips. Maybe you had a problem with corn?

IrishHeart Veteran

I have eaten them without issues.  Could be something else causing this reaction perhaps?

Kias4 Apprentice

Thanks everyone.  I've been dipping them in homemade salsa that is for sure gluten free.  I do have celiac disease.  And typically my acute symptoms from a glutening (severe GI distress) only last a day (other symptoms may last longer), but this has been three days long.  Good to know others don't get sick from them.  I'll have to look into what else could be causing it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kias4 Apprentice

Or, perhaps I'm just more sensitive to gluten than the 20ppm required for the gluten-free label.  (Frito-Lay does say they follow the 20ppm rule for their gluten-free chips, to which Tostitos belongs.)  I'm still figuring out my sensitivity level.  I got diagnosed with celiac disease by blood test after being on a somewhat diligent gluten-free diet for three years, so apparently my body just really hates gluten.  I'll have to try to stick to certified gluten-free chips.

IrishHeart Veteran

Or, perhaps I'm just more sensitive to gluten than the 20ppm required for the gluten-free label.  (Frito-Lay does say they follow the 20ppm rule for their gluten-free chips, to which Tostitos belongs.)  I'm still figuring out my sensitivity level.  I got diagnosed with celiac disease by blood test after being on a somewhat diligent gluten-free diet for three years, so apparently my body just really hates gluten.  I'll have to try to stick to certified gluten-free chips.

I subscribe to Gluten Free watchdog testing reports

I can't post the entire report about the chips because it is breaking all kinds of user agreement rules but I think i  can tell you this part: 

TCC3 BB 21 MAY 13 < 5 ppm gluten < 5 ppm gluten < 5 ppm gluten 

It's highly unlikely it is the chips. but, then again, who knows?
user001 Contributor

Everything that is in salsa is stuff that can cause a person with celiac to have a problem. You may have developed an allergy to tomatoes or onions or spicy food. I know it might sound crazy, but I drank coffee for years without a problem but then recently started having a problem with it.

kareng Grand Master

Salsa ingredients can be harsh for a lot of people - has nothing to do with Celiac. I eat salsa most days fine. Coffee is acidic to the stomach, too. A little dairy in it helps a lot of people with that acid in the stomach. I bet that dairy cheese with salsa probably helps that, too.

A little explanation about testing for gluten - a test for less than 20 ppm does not mean a product has 19 ppm. It could have 0 or 6. It does not mean a company then adds gluten to get it up to 19 1/2 ppm. That's another odd misconception I have seen. :)

The labelling law is " official" in August - that's a couple of weeks away. A big company like Frito Lay is not going to label things gluten-free and have to take them off the shelves in 2 weeks because they made up a corporate definition of gluten-free that doesn't meet the new laws. That is the reason for the year to come into compliance.

Maybe try the salsa on celery or salad and skip corn chips for a few days. See if that takes care of it. Or maybe skip both chips and salsa for a couple of days until,you get your gut under control?

IrishHeart Veteran

I have an intolerance for tomatoes, but it really isn't a problem for the vast majority of celiacs.

I always suggest to people before they start thinking "it's gluten" to just remove the food item in question for a few weeks, then add it back in.

I can't tell you how many times people think it's trace gluten but then find out it was the acid in tomatoes or coffee or vinegar.or, or, or (sorry, I know that sounds dire, but it's really not!) we all manage to figure out what else may be at play. (I have a list of no-no's myself)  <_<

This really can occur in anyone's GI tract, not just celiacs. My hubs cannot eat melon or cukes, for example....nothing to do with celiac. My friend can't have lemons. etc. 

It's hard sometimes at the beginning because your gut is still wonky and you really do start to think everything is a gluten CC thing.

Honestly, it isn't.  :)

CajunChic Explorer

I thought gluten was getting me, all the time. I found it was corn. It didnt make sense to me because I'd have it one day and be fine. On the second day I'd be in bed with an upset stomach. I can tolerate very small amounts of corn at one time, then I have to wait at least a week before eating it again. Same with tomatoes and bellpeppers for me.

Chips and salsa was a fav for me, unfortunately I have to have it sparingly now. I like to switch it up with a bean dip or hummus with gluten-free crackers or occasionally a potato chip. I can't tolerate much oil, neither.

Hope you find what works for you!

notme Experienced

if you really want to have a better idea of what is bothering you, try food journaling and elimination :)  

IrishHeart Veteran

or occasionally a potato chip. 

^_^

I can't have those darn things in the house. Absolutely zero self-control with those. Seriously, what IS IT with potato chips?? 

Pegleg84 Collaborator

We need a whole chip cupboard at my place. What would I do without Kettle Chips.

I've never had a problem with Tostitos' plain ol corn chips here in Canadaland either. I don't buy them because of GMO corn (on principle, not health issues), but if they're at a party or something I'll have a few.

It could definitely be something acidic in the salsa instead, especially if you're still early in your healing. Try either eating the chips on their own, or having salsa on something else instead.

Possibly it could be a corn problem, but it's probably too early to say that. Corn can be hard to digest too, if your gut is still healing.

CajunChic Explorer

^_^

I can't have those darn things in the house. Absolutely zero self-control with those. Seriously, what IS IT with potato chips??

If its kettle cooked, I'll even ignore the stomachache! There's something about that crunch...

user001 Contributor

If its kettle cooked, I'll even ignore the stomachache! There's something about that crunch...

OMG the kettle cooked ones... I can't even have them in the house. When I go out I look for the little dollar bags or i just get out of control.

mamaw Community Regular

Here's  another  take on these...  Could  you  be  reacting  to  Corn?   Many  people  are  having  problems  with  corn  products..  ANd  yes,  even  the  nightshade  family   such  as  tomatoes>>>>>>and  ten  it  could  be  just  the  spicy  salsa  spices  that  don't  agree  with you...  Remember  we  do  have  sensitive  tummies!  I  used  to be  able  to  eat  ghost  peppers  &  hot hot  stuff  but  no more....

LauraTX Rising Star

And typically my acute symptoms from a glutening (severe GI distress) only last a day (other symptoms may last longer), but this has been three days long.  Good to know others don't get sick from them.  I'll have to look into what else could be causing it.

I am really surprised no one has mentioned this, but especially if you are not having your typical onset of symptoms, it is possible you just caught some kind of bug and it has nothing to do with gluten or what you ate.  Of course, it could be another intolerance or just something in the salsa disagreeing with your tummy, if you want to look into that more, the previously recommended food journaling is a great tool for that.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Wow, that is pretty amazing to actually get DX'ed after 3 years gluten free. It makes me almost wonder if I should take a celiac antibody test. I have been gluten free for over 4 years, but made a number of rookie mistakes before I cracked down on the CC issues.

skullgrl Rookie

^_^

I'll paint a picture for you; it's 11 PM, I'm craving something salty, something crunchy and I know there are potatoes in my fridge. I needed a quick fix, and I found it. Marvel in the glory that is the microwaved potato chip (and you don't have to buy that silly contraption).

Takes a little trial and error to figure out whats best for your microwave but it's worth it and for people who have issues with frying/oil, well, it doesn't use any. They don't stay crisp for a long time but I'm seriously considering making a bunch and tossing them in my dehydrator.

user001 Contributor

omg all those snacks look amazing.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll paint a picture for you; it's 11 PM, I'm craving something salty, something crunchy and I know there are potatoes in my fridge. I needed a quick fix, and I found it. Marvel in the glory that is the microwaved potato chip (and you don't have to buy that silly contraption).

Takes a little trial and error to figure out whats best for your microwave but it's worth it and for people who have issues with frying/oil, well, it doesn't use any. They don't stay crisp for a long time but I'm seriously considering making a bunch and tossing them in my dehydrator.

I've done the kale chips and roasted chickpeas, and they are good, yes....but if I'm going to have potato chips, I'm not making them too. 

I eat Cape Cod chips if I have a hankering.

But thanks for the link!! :)

skullgrl Rookie

I've done the kale chips and roasted chickpeas, and they are good, yes....but if I'm going to have potato chips, I'm not making them too. 

I eat Cape Cod chips if I have a hankering.

But thanks for the link!! :)

I love my kale chips too. Daw, I looked up the Cape Cod ones and now I'm drooling all over the computer.

Archived