This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Overdue Babies?

justlovlie

justlovlie Rookie

Hi all,

I'm curious to know if any of you suspect a connection between celiac disease and prolonged pregnancy, or if there is any data on the subject.

I'm currently expecting our 4th in another month or so. My 3 other children were all born (healthy) at 43+ weeks. In the time since #3's birth, I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and my 2nd child has been dx'd 'presumed celiac' (based on symptoms; labs were inconclusive since she'd already been gluten-free). I've been largely gluten-free myself since changing her diet, and have become increasingly suspicious that I may be celiac as well. My own vagueish health issues have cleared up tremendously and definitely come back when I do (rarely) eat gluten foods...I'm just waiting to finish this pregnancy before pursuing testing.

It's a tough issue to untangle since most moms will opt for induction before waiting as long as I do...and really one isn't truly 'post dates' until 42 weeks. But I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, and then had a more timely birth after going gluten-free and healing? Really hoping this one doesn't drag on as long as the others! There is a known connection with the hypothyroidism, so perhaps that will make a difference as well....*fingers crossed*!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

I'm not aware of any correlation, there may be some, but there are risks in going overdue, just like there are being born too soon, the least being babies being too big all the way up to death of both the baby and the mother.  

justlovlie Rookie

The risks for a healthy postdates baby in a healthy postdates mom with a healthy placenta are about on par with any other catastrophic problem at term (ie cord prolapse, placental abruption, etc)....in other words, real, but low, and induction before mom and baby are ready to birth introduces other risks that, sadly, are rarely given their proper due these days before it's done. My kids have all been born vigorous and healthy, within normal size ranges. Thus far it is just our norm, our baseline. On balance, I'm happy to have strong babies that have cooked a bit longer than risk taking them before they're ready.

But...none of that was really the issue in my post. ;-) I'm just curious to know if anyone else has seen a shift in natural onset of labor after removing gluten.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was almost 6 weeks overdue with my first. I knew when I concieved but the doctor thought I had miscalculated. My second was almost a month overdue. Babies can actually lose weight when the go past term and my first peeled from head to toe and his skin was puckered like he spent a week soaking in a tub. He was however much more alert that the other babies and could already hold his head up off my shoulder before we left the hospital.

I don't know if after being diagnosed my pregnancies would have been shorter since I wasn't diagnosed until my kids were almost grown. 

StephanieL Enthusiast

I'm not aware of any correlation, there may be some, but there are risks in going overdue, just like there are being born too soon, the least being babies being too big all the way up to death of both the baby and the mother.  

Overdue by who's calculations?  NORMAL gestation is 38-42 weeks and even then there isn't any need to freak out. As Justlovlie said, the risks of an "overdue" baby aren't anything more than normal.  Taking a baby and inductions lead to more issues than an "overdue" baby! 

As to the OP, I don't know of any correlation of pre/post gluten removal having an impact on birth and labor. I can't logically think through anything that would tie them together for me. Obviously a healthier Mom makes for a healthier delivery but as stated, gestational time doesn't really mean a baby is any more or less healthy.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

My first was born at 41w5d and I was eating gluten back then, but again, up to 42 weeks isn't considered post dates anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
africanqueen99 Contributor

I thought they recently changed 'normal' gestation to 40-42 weeks. Maybe I heard that wrong.

I highly suspect that I have celiac and that's the genetic link for my kids (I tested in that weird "elevated, but not high" category). Anyway, I had a SAD during all pregnancies so it won't help, but I have a 40w1d, 41w3d, 39w5d. That last week was a b%$@# with the last kid while I ran after a toddler!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

What's a SAD, Angela? I'm not familiar with that term.

Your kids are really close in age to mine, I have a 7 year old (almost 8) girl, a 5 year old boy, and a 2 year old girl.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

When I got pregnant, I would determine a due date based on my last period.  The ultra-sound would change the date to a later date.  At the end of the pregnancy the doctors would be concerned that the baby was overdue.

I am not sure how the timing works.  My periods were often far apart.  Quite possibly due date should have taken this into account. 

nvsmom Community Regular

All three of mine were 5 to 10 days early, although they seemed to come out at the right time for them - they were all healthy and big (8.5-9lbs).

africanqueen99 Contributor

What's a SAD, Angela? I'm not familiar with that term.

Standard American Diet. Not a "special" diet (gluten-free, paleo, low fat). It's basically used to say about people that eat healthy enough, but still have junk food, fast food, etc. so, yes, I love fruit, but I also rarely turn down ice cream! Now that I have to cook all meals and snacks we eat a heck of a lot healthier. That being said, I still miss picking up McD's on the way home from double header soccer games!

My two younger kids were too close in age...as much as I begged her not to, kid 3 came on kid 2's second birthday. Having a new born and a very babyish toddler practically sent me over the edge. Now it's awesome and they are peas in a pod. :)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Oh okay, I actually did know what SAD meant. :)

That is kind of neat that your little ones have the same birthday. My kid #3 was actually due on #2's 3rd birthday, but she was a week late, so his birthday is February 27 and hers is March 5th.

• 6 months later...
Firsttimemama2014 Rookie

My baby was overdue (8 days) then induced and I gave birth approx 10 days postpartum via c-section..

• 2 weeks later...
MycasMommy Enthusiast

My daughter was 6 weeks early. Only reason I was in the hospital the night she was born is because she did not pass a non stress test.  That was almost 18 years ago. We are about to try for another baby here very shortly. I am worried about my age and being able to gain weight properly.. I really hope I do not hatch another too early one.  There was no definitive cause or any plausible reason to date why I went into labour and she was born so early she did great at 4 lbs even though.

Firsttimemama2014 Rookie

Wow! 18 years apart!!

That's a long time to space 'em!  :lol:

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Wow! 18 years apart!!

That's a long time to space 'em!  :lol:

Two only children.  Having an only child was fantastic.  Not for everyone I suppose. My daughter is happy about it and so am I.

Archived