This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Most Ridiculous Gluten Comment I've Heard

C-Girl

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We were at my IL's house this past Sunday. (FIL and step MIL) My SIL is currently trying to stay away from gluten (because of her thyroid) and step MIL offered her some cookies. SIL said, "Thanks but I'll have to pass because I can't have wheat." Step MIL replied, "Oh they don't have any wheat in them, just white flour."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kimbalou Enthusiast

I just recently found out sushi rice is not gluten free. So, I've stopped eating sushi. Maybe your neighbor was thinking about sushi? there's something about the way they prepare it to make it sticky. But...on the other hand...people are so clueless about what gluten is. Like the wheat vs. white flour. ugh

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Plain sushi rice (as in, dry out of the package) is gluten free. Additives that a restaurant adds to make sushi could possibly be unsafe though. But the rice itself is fine. I just bought a bag of Lundberg sushi rice to make homemade sushi and it is clearly marked gluten free. You can also buy rice vinegar labelled gluten free if you want to flavor your homemade sushi a bit. I make sushi a lot with just plain rice and vegetables and that is really good too. :)

Kimbalou Enthusiast

I am referring to how a restaurant makes sushi. they mKe it sticky somehow and when i googled it the article said the way its prepared is not gluten-free.

WinterSong Community Regular

I love topics like this. Especially love the gluten-free guitars. If there is music going into my ears it must be gluten free  :D

I was at a restaurant once, asking if a certain dish is gluten free. Says the waiter, "It should be gluten free. I've eaten it a bunch of times and have never tasted gluten." Says the voice inside my head, "Get me another waiter....."

I especially love the, "Oh yes, I'm gluten free as well," comment as they take a big bite of bread or chicken smothered in a gluten-filled sauce. 

kareng Grand Master

I am referring to how a restaurant makes sushi. they mKe it sticky somehow and when i googled it the article said the way its prepared is not gluten-free.

"Glutinous rice" or sticky rice does not contain gluten. It uses the word gluten to mean sticky. It is a type of rice that is naturally sticky when cooked.

Open Original Shared Link

Serielda Enthusiast

Was in New Orleans recently and saw two things that made me laugh. One was Voodoo dolls with a sign stating they was gluten free, the other was a bit odder. It was some sort of candle that was allegedly blessed to prevent being glutened and or cross contaminated. I looked at my hubby and if only these worked.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HappyMom623 Proficient

My grandfather who has a hard time wrapping his head around gluten free foods calls my gluten free foods "GLUTEN FOODS" I want to be like "Uh.. no. The exact opposite, actually!"

His live in companion (who really isn't smart) will offer me pretzels EVERY SINGE TIME I go over. I say "I can't have those" and then she will offer me cookies..

MitziG Enthusiast

I had this glorious dream yesterday morning... I went into a pizzeria, the kind with the big wood-fired ovens and concrete floors (stems from a conversation I had w/ a local chef who is opening a wood-fired grill). I could smell the pizzas. A man came up and asked to take my order, I said, sadly, "I can't have pizza". He looked sad, and asked why, so I told him. He said, "no problem. I can make it". He proceeded to go to a shiny metal table and scrub it clean, taking out all new bowls and mixing up the dough. He carefully arranged all the ingredients on the top. He was in the midst of putting it in the oven when my husband woke me up...

Damn it. I really wanted to try that pizza.

LOL,. I frequently have dreams where my celiac miraculously just "went away" and so I dig right into a delicious donut...I really miss real donuts. The gluten-free ones are just...meh. I always wake up so disappointed!

MitziG Enthusiast

I love topics like this. Especially love the gluten-free guitars. If there is music going into my ears it must be gluten free  :D

I was at a restaurant once, asking if a certain dish is gluten free. Says the waiter, "It should be gluten free. I've eaten it a bunch of times and have never tasted gluten." Says the voice inside my head, "Get me another waiter....."

I especially love the, "Oh yes, I'm gluten free as well," comment as they take a big bite of bread or chicken smothered in a gluten-filled sauce. 

Of course you can taste gluten! It is called DELICIOUSNESS. Gives it away every time for me. As in, "Wow, these enchiladas are soooo good I cant believe these are corn tortillas!" They weren't. Three days in the hospital, months of pain afterwards. Something being delicious makes me highly suspicious now.

Crabby J Newbie

After reading the posts on this blog I see that many people are very frustrated by others lack of information, or their attitudes. I think I am gluten sensitive and have joined here to study up and share anything I might know or to ask questions if I don't know. I have a latex allergy and find people who are very inconsiderate all the time. I also have a bad sensitivity to MSG. I get the "Bang my head against the wall" comments all the time. Go out and buy a bottle or box of "Accent" it is in the spice aisle and it is MSG. Taste it. Then tell me if you want that in your food. It is an additive...oh that means that is something extra they can charge you for when they make the food.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia (used as a short cut) "MSG has been produced by three methods: hydrolysis of vegetable proteins with hydrochloric acid to disrupt Open Original Shared Link (1909–1962); direct chemical synthesis with Open Original Shared Link (1962–1973), and Open Original Shared Link (the current method).Open Original Shared Link Wheat gluten was originally used for hydrolysis because it contains more than 30g of glutamate and glutamine in 100g of protein. As demand for MSG increased, chemical synthesis and fermentation were studied.[Open Original Shared Link] The Open Original Shared Link fiber industry began in Japan during the mid-1950s, and Open Original Shared Link was adopted as a base material to synthesize MSG.Open Original Shared Link"      So if you study this quote, I think you should be concerned about MSG if you are Celiac or gluten sensitive. Do you agree?

LauraTX Rising Star

After reading the posts on this blog I see that many people are very frustrated by others lack of information, or their attitudes. I think I am gluten sensitive and have joined here to study up and share anything I might know or to ask questions if I don't know. I have a latex allergy and find people who are very inconsiderate all the time. I also have a bad sensitivity to MSG. I get the "Bang my head against the wall" comments all the time. Go out and buy a bottle or box of "Accent" it is in the spice aisle and it is MSG. Taste it. Then tell me if you want that in your food. It is an additive...oh that means that is something extra they can charge you for when they make the food.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia (used as a short cut) "MSG has been produced by three methods: hydrolysis of vegetable proteins with hydrochloric acid to disrupt Open Original Shared Link (1909–1962); direct chemical synthesis with Open Original Shared Link (1962–1973), and Open Original Shared Link (the current method).Open Original Shared Link Wheat gluten was originally used for hydrolysis because it contains more than 30g of glutamate and glutamine in 100g of protein. As demand for MSG increased, chemical synthesis and fermentation were studied.[Open Original Shared Link] The Open Original Shared Link fiber industry began in Japan during the mid-1950s, and Open Original Shared Link was adopted as a base material to synthesize MSG.Open Original Shared Link"      So if you study this quote, I think you should be concerned about MSG if you are Celiac or gluten sensitive. Do you agree?

Welcome to the forum, CrabbyJ.  Monosodium Glutamate does not contain gluten, and can be eaten by Celiacs.  A lot of people see the "Glut" part and worry, but if someone has a problem with MSG, it is a separate issues and unrelated to gluten.  Here is a primary source for some info.  Wikipedia can be a shady source of info once you get into scientific stuff.  

Open Original Shared Link

• 4 months later...
gilligan Enthusiast

I just read a post written on another forum (not a celiac forum) in which a woman with a reputation for being a great cook stated she started eating only homemade sourdough because it makes her feel so much better.  She doesn't have celiac, but she wanted others to know that sourdough is much better for celiacs to eat so they can offer it to their guests with celiac issues.  Her other statement was to let others know that the increase of people with celiac is bull hockey; it's really because of food additives to increase shelf life.

Michielyn Newbie

I'm sure we've heard a variation of my favorites:

1) We can substitute white bread for wheat bread.

2) Flour has wheat in it?

3) My girls night out got diverted to an Applebee's instead of a different restaurant I had already checked. One of the girls worked at Applebee's and was sitting next to me.

Her: "You can order nachos"

Me: "Don't they use a common fryer for the chips"

Her: "Yeah, but we special oil that doesn't let the food transfer gluten"

Alwayssomething Contributor

While out of town I went to a restaurant I had researched online to not only have gluten free options but good comments from people who had eaten gluten free there.  When we entered  I asked for a gluten free menu, the hostess told me the manager would come to our table.   Great!   Until she got there, she asked if I had anything other than gluten I could not eat, then proceeded to tell me I could not have the pasta dishes, anything breaded, any of the their bread items or any fried items.....duh????   Guess she though I said this was my first day gluten free??????? :wacko:

She could not answer any of the questions I had about other items on the menu, like the seasoning on the steak, or the salad dressings.   Needless to say we left.  

Archived