This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maria's Bread Flour

Tonyana

Tonyana Newbie

I am wondering why the recipe calls for 2 packets of gelatine. Do you simply mix the gelatine powder in with the rest of the ingredients?

I am so looking forward to trying out this recipe!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Not sure what you are asking about? Is this a boxed mix?

Tonyana Newbie

No, it is a recipe given here on the site. It is Maria's free gluten flour for bread. She has varios flours incorporated and one of the ingredients is gelatine

kareng Grand Master

No, it is a recipe given here on the site. It is Maria's free gluten flour for bread. She has varios flours incorporated and one of the ingredients is gelatine

There are 100s of recipes all over this site posted in the last 8 or more years. I'm sorry I don't know which one you mean. If it's very old, the original poster might not still be around. But you could try asking the question on that thread where the recipe is?

I would think, that if it's a recipe just for the flour, you would mix up all the ingredients, put it in a container and then use the amount that a recipe calls for?

Tonyana Newbie

This is the recipe

This recipe comes to us from Maria Oostveen. Her comments about it: My goal is to develop an all-purpose flour, that can be used for most baking purposes. I have not tested this version yet on anything else but bread and it compares 100% with regular light wheat bread. The first thing I made with it was the cheese sandwich I so badly craved and it was like heaven!! No comparison with ANY gluten-free bread I tried before, and I tried them all!!!!!!

Marias Bread Flour Mix (makes 9 cups = 3 loaves).

2 cups garfava or garbanzo-bean flour

1 cup sorghum flour

2 ¼ cups tapioca flour

2 ¼ cups arrowroot flour (starch)

1 cup rice flour

1 tablespoon potato starch

2 tablespoons potato flour

2 tablespoons xanthan gum

2 packages gelatin (unflavored)

¼ cup sugar

1 ½ teaspoon salt

Mix well and keep in an airtight container. You can use cornstarch instead of arrowroot. This was originally designed to bake at an altitude of 5000+ feet so you may need to make adjustments.

Marias Real gluten-free Light Wheat Bread:

Mixing time: 15 minutes

Rising time: 20 minutes

Baking time 45 minutes

Grease an 8 ¼ x 4 ¼ bread pan with lard.

Preheat oven to 375F

In a large mixing bowl place:

2 eggs

2 Tablespoons canola or olive oil

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Dissolve: 1 ½ tablespoons of honey in 1 ¼ cup very warm water and set aside.

In a bowl stir together:

3 cups Marias Bread Flour Mix

2 teaspoons yeast

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon citric acid.

Beat the egg mixture at high speed until foamy. Add the water and honey mixture to the egg mixture and beat until it becomes foamy again. Turn the speed low and add ½ cup of flour mix at a time (wait for it to be absorbed before you add each ½ cup). After the flour mix is added turn the mixer to high speed and beat for about 3 minutes. The texture should be like cake batter. If it is too thick, add one tablespoon of warm water at a time until it is the right consistency.

Spoon it immediately into the prepared pan and carefully smooth the top. Cover with a plastic container or large lid to keep the temperature even and put it in a warm place to rise (like on top of your oven). Place it in the oven when the dough reaches to the top of the pan (not higher - approximately 20 minutes). Bake for about 45 minutes at 375F. Brush the top with oil when it comes out of the oven and let it totally cool on the rack. Store it in a plastic bag or an airtight container. If you cannot eat all of it in 4-5 days it freezes well.

kareng Grand Master

Ok. Looks like it says to mix it all up and store.

kareng Grand Master

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Yep, just mix it all up, and make sure to store it airtight.  

• 3 months later...
nb-canada Apprentice

Hi Tonyana, did you try this recipe?  I am anxious to find a good bread recipe.

Thanks

Archived