• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

For A Gluten-Free Trip With Kids, Try Italy, Land Of Pasta And Pane - International Business Times

1 post in this topic

International Business Times

For A Gluten-Free Trip With Kids, Try Italy, Land Of Pasta And Pane

International Business Times

Most people, when we said we were taking a 2-week family vacation in Italy, said we must be crazy. Our 11-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at age 5, at which point we immediately rid our house and lives of gluten, a protein in wheat ...

Gluten-free for weight loss? You're doing more harm than good: study Globalnews.ca

Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good for those without wheat ... New York Daily News

'Gluten-Free' Food Labels May Deceive Consumers As Healthy: Is The Fad ... Medical Daily

Styleite  - Mother Nature Network (blog)

all 48 news articles »

View the full article

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Lynette7561

• Topics

• Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers. I'm waiting to hear back from her dr and then we will go from there. If the dr doesn't think the results show anything then I will get a second opinion thanks to everything that has been shared on here. I will make sure and not change her diet for now.  I am planning on getting tested myself, I have had suspicions since last summer that I could have it. I have a form of autoimmune arthritis, just unclear exactly what it is at this time. I  going to ask to be tested for celiac at my next appt though.
    • I was diagnosed in 2002 and I think I have had maybe 2 actual colds since then. I figured the same as you that with my immune system not having to try and 'save' me from gluten that it now is able to fight off the occasional virus.  The only thing it hasn't been able to fight off is shingles. Thankfully those are clearing and I blame myself for that with lack of sleep and a very poor diet for a bit. Lesson learned, one does not live off crackers and cheese alone.
    • Welcome to the board. I agree with the previous posters that you are very likely looking at celiac. Please do keep her on gluten until all celiac related testing is finsihed. After that do give the diet a good strict try even if the biopsies are negative. Also keep in mind that celiac is genetic so it would be a good idea to screen others in the family even if they don't seem to have symptoms.
    • @jddh So...did the restricted diet you were going to implement work (FODMAP or Whole Foods)?  I recall that you were mis-diagnosed at one point with refractory celiac disease, but it was later determined that you were getting trace amounts of gluten in your diet.  If you are not catching colds, I assume that you have healed from the damages of celiac disease?  I hope so!!! 😊
    • Peter is correct.  You do have a positive so that warrants further investigation.  Here is a link supporting our comments: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/are-raised-dgp-igg-levels-an-early-sign-of-celiac-disease/ http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/Celiac_Disease_Diagnostic_Testing_Algorithm.pdf Does she have celiac disease?  You will never know for sure without an endoscopy.  Even then, there is a chance the biopsies are negative, but keep in mind that she might just be starting to develop celiac disease or that the damage was not captured (the small intestine is the size of a tennis court if spread out).   Personally, I tested negative on all but the DGP IgA, yet I had moderate to severe intestinal damage.  The celiac blood tests are good, but they do not catch all celiacs,  some celiacs can even test negative to ALL the blood tests. Consider yourself fortunate that your doctor ordered several of the tests and not just the screening TTG IgA (very good, keeps cost down, but does not catch all).    The DGP is the preferred test in small children.  I do not know why it caught me because I am old,  but it did!   Confusing, isn't it?  I wish there was an easier way to diagnose, but  we have to work with what we have available to us.  
  • Upcoming Events