This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol

BarryC

BarryC Collaborator

I was wondering how many of you have digestive issues such as gas and bloating after drinking alcohol, even supposedly 'safe' drinks like wine.

Is it possible that with a compromised digestive system, alcohol is not processed as well? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fergusminto Apprentice

I was wondering how many of you have digestive issues such as gas and bloating after drinking alcohol, even supposedly 'safe' drinks like wine.

Is it possible that with a compromised digestive system, alcohol is not processed as well?

Hi BarryC. Not widely known that wine can/does contain gluten. My experienced immunologist informed me that it can be introduced in two ways. Firstly, if the wine is of the "oaked " variety it may have been stored in casks that have been treated with flour and water in irder to seal any potential leaks. Secondly wine is more often than not "fined". This is a process for clearing the cloudy base wine by adding "Finings" which is a mixture of egg white, ground fish bones and wheat glutenate. This is not fully removed from the wine before being bottled and some gluten is almost definitely left in the final product.

I am catering trained and this was a surprise to me. If you are very sensitive as I am thus will pos give you headaches after one or two glasses.

Gemini Experienced

The reason many have not heard of this is because it is totally untrue.  I would not rely on information from an "experienced immunologist" unless they also have Celiac Disease and have done their homework.  Even then, we have diagnosed Celiacs come on this board and they believe all the urban myths out there that have no basis in reality.

Most wines are processed in stainless steel containers and those which are done in oak barrels (probably more so in Europe) have had testing done on the finished product, with levels that are not enough to cause a problem even in sensitive celiacs. This topic has been discussed at length here and I lknow someone posted recently the info on this. I am extremely sensitvie, drink wine every day, and do not have any troubles from it.  Most other Celiacs will tell you the same thing.

The fining process has been discussed also and I am hoping someone will post further info as I don't have time to look for it right now.  I will, but not right now.  I am at work but wanted to post something quick because this topic is getting old and the info is just wrong.  There is no gluten in wine.  Headaches usually come from sulfites and yes, BarryC,

we celiacs have sensitive guts anyway so if you have not healed fully, wine could be a problem because it is harsh on the GI tract.  I could not drink anything for about 3 years after diagnosis but now?  Love my wine!   :)

nvsmom Community Regular

This caught my eye because I have never looked into the fining process of wine.  I didn't realize that gelatin was traditionally used, nor that gluten is sometimes used now.  I read a few articles (so I am no means very educated in this area) but it looks to me like gluten is SOMETIMES used and there can be trace amounts of gluten left behind but it is generally well below the 20ppm that gluten-free labelling requires - less than 5-10ppm is what I have read.

Open Original Shared Link

There are some wines out there likeOpen Original Shared Link which have never been in contact with gluten.  If you are worried, you could always switch to one of those organic gluten-free wines, but at less than 5-10ppm of gluten, in only those wines that use gluten in their fining, you should be safe to drink wine. Overall I think wine is most likely safe but if you are worried, skip it.

I would be happy if I could drink a small glass of wine without my face and nose turning cherry red and getting hot.  I skip wine just for that reason there.  LOL

As for the wheat paste issue, I think it's about the same.  Some expensive (red) wines use that method still but the amount of gluten left behind is still below 5 or 10ppm and is considered to be safe.  https://www.celiac.com/articles/23076/1/Is-Wine-Aged-in-Wheat-glued-Oak-Barrels-Gluten-free/Page1.html  I don't like red wine so it doesn't affect me much.  LOL  :P

Now is someone could invent a calorie reduce diet cola without aspartame, I would be a very happy camper.   ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Finally-45 Contributor

Just in case: people with mastocytosis are completely intolerant to all alcohol and fermented foods/drinks.

Another tip: kosher alcohol is grain free.

psawyer Proficient

When wooden kegs are used for aging, regardless of the means of putting them together, they are thoroughly rinsed out with boiling water before the wine is put in them. This just isn't an issue.

kareng Grand Master

I'm not sure you understand what Kosher means? Sam Adams beers are certified Kosher. It has nothing to do with grains. Kosher doesn't even mean wheat free.

Edited to be certain Celiacs understand that Sam Adams beer is not currently gluten free, even though it appears to be Kosher.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

currently

My favorite word in that entire statement!
kareng Grand Master

My favorite word in that entire statement!

Even if someday, they make gluten-free beer....it still won't be grain free. That's just what beer is.

GottaSki Mentor

Just in case: people with mastocytosis are completely intolerant to all alcohol and fermented foods/drinks.

What? People with Masto are indeed intolerant of many things....including certain libations, yet the intolerance of alcoholic and fermented items is not a hard and fast rule.

My own body creates too much histamine and other amines in reaction to exercise, external heat, humidity and sunlight.... along with numerous foods and environmental concerns....yet I can drink red wine...sometimes to abundance.

There are no blanket statements with mast cell or autoimmune issues.

I do believe you may benefit from a gluten and histamine free diet...but this is a celiac forum.

Please be careful to understand all aspects of celiac before making blanket statements.

klisja Rookie

Have you noticed some other food intolerances than the wine? I get stomach pains if I drink alcahol and also when I eat skyr or yogurt or other fermented foods.

IrishHeart Veteran

When I drink wine and champagne, I sometimes get "flushed" from it. It's not gluten. It's the sulfites and the histamine. I have an intolerance for those

but if I consume just a small amount, I suffer no consequences. My doctor has told me it's all about finding your tolerance level. 

However, I can drink spirits like gin or vodka and not be affected whatsoever. So the blanket statement of "no alcohol allowed" for people with mast cell syndromes, is just not applicable. 

And now, I say this with all sincerity: If there were gluten in alcohol or wine, I'd be dead by now.

If someone is having gut issues from alcohol, it's most likely because they are just unable to digest it right now. 

Wait a while and try it again. I did not drink for nearly a year after diagnosis.

Finally-45 Contributor

I meant to say certified PASSOVER alcohol is grain free, sorry about that!

Finally-45 Contributor

I am and have always been intolerant to alcohol, fermented foods, vinegar, cheese, etc.

kareng Grand Master

I meant to say certified PASSOVER alcohol is grain free, sorry about that!

That is something completely different and limits people basically to wines, potato vodkas and some other fruit based alcohols.

I am and have always been intolerant to alcohol, fermented foods, vinegar, cheese, etc.

That is a shame   :( but most Celiacs are fine with those foods.  Initially, some may need a period of healing before they can tolerate them well.

IrishHeart Veteran

but just to be clear to those who may reading this thread.. :) that's because you are also diagnosed with mastocytosis and therefore, those foods cause problems for you. (I know because I have MCAS) but those foods/beverages are usually tolerated by celiacs.  

BarryC has told us already that he does not have celiac, but he may have a gut issue. 

And a sore gut does not bode well for alcohol consumption. 

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

And now, I say this with all sincerity: If there were gluten in alcohol or wine, I'd be dead by now.

Irish, your name tells us that. ;-P Speaking of which, I think I may be turning Irish, I've been hooked on McKinsey's hard ciders since a friend of mine gave me some to try at a new product meeting with the distributor.
Finally-45 Contributor

The alcohol intolerance is a symptom of mastocytosis. Mastocytosis isn't the same as being histamine intolerant. Ironically, it's a lot like comparing Celiacs to ppl with gluten intolerance. Also, the lists of symptoms for each are long, but it's not as if every patient has every symptom.

kareng Grand Master

The alcohol intolerance is a symptom of mastocytosis. Mastocytosis isn't the same as being histamine intolerant. Ironically, it's a lot like comparing Celiacs to ppl with gluten intolerance. Also, the lists of symptoms for each are long, but it's not as if every patient has every symptom.

And the point is....... We just wanted to be clear for all the confused people following this thread, that thought we were talking about celiac or NCGI - you are not talking about that. And most Celiacs and NCGI can enjoy all those foods you listed. :)

And, it is horrible that you can't have some of these foods - specifically alcohol ( the topic of this thread). I believe you have started a couple of threads about mastocytosis and perhaps you could discuss the differences and dietary issues there? :)

kareng Grand Master

To the OP - Barry -

I guess you could look into mastocytosis, but it's pretty rare. You might want look into to the more common things first - like a healing gut. Wait a few months and try alcohol again?

Which was basically the original question, I think.   :unsure:

• 2 years later...
fergusminto Apprentice
On 21/08/2014 at 6:45 PM, Gemini said:

The reason many have not heard of this is because it is totally untrue.  I would not rely on information from an "experienced immunologist" unless they also have Celiac Disease and have done their homework.  Even then, we have diagnosed Celiacs come on this board and they believe all the urban myths out there that have no basis in reality.

Most wines are processed in stainless steel containers and those which are done in oak barrels (probably more so in Europe) have had testing done on the finished product, with levels that are not enough to cause a problem even in sensitive celiacs. This topic has been discussed at length here and I lknow someone posted recently the info on this. I am extremely sensitvie, drink wine every day, and do not have any troubles from it.  Most other Celiacs will tell you the same thing.

The fining process has been discussed also and I am hoping someone will post further info as I don't have time to look for it right now.  I will, but not right now.  I am at work but wanted to post something quick because this topic is getting old and the info is just wrong.  There is no gluten in wine.  Headaches usually come from sulfites and yes, BarryC,

we celiacs have sensitive guts anyway so if you have not healed fully, wine could be a problem because it is harsh on the GI tract.  I could not drink anything for about 3 years after diagnosis but now?  Love my wine!   :)

Just seen this response from 2 years ago! "Experienced Immunologist" is a consultant immunologist at Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. I had a very hard job to access this guy but he turns out to be the most experienced, effective and knowledgable people in this line of medicine. My degree is in Hotel and Catering and I know all about finings and their ingredients but was unaware of the glutenate suggestion. Even so called "sulphite free" (actually impossible) wines give me a dreadful headache. Just thought I should respond - late in day though it is. Happy New Year!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, fergusminto said:

Just seen this response from 2 years ago! "Experienced Immunologist" is a consultant immunologist at Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. I had a very hard job to access this guy but he turns out to be the most experienced, effective and knowledgable people in this line of medicine. My degree is in Hotel and Catering and I know all about finings and their ingredients but was unaware of the glutenate suggestion. Even so called "sulphite free" (actually impossible) wines give me a dreadful headache. Just thought I should respond - late in day though it is. Happy New Year!

Interesting article of why wine does make some people get headaches etc.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 minute ago, Ennis_TX said:

Interesting article of why wine does make some people get headaches etc.

Tannins.  Reacting to them is especially bad if you own a winery.  ?

Archived