This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Disappointed

zippy

zippy Newbie

I just got my green silicon bracelets from the university of maryland, these honestly look cheaper than ones I've seen at the dollar stoor, and the imprinting is even much more difficult to see. I'm not even sure I want to wear this. I've heard the university of chicago has them based on posts, but I have not been able to locate them. I like the angelic groove bracelets, am I correct that a total of 30% goes to celiac programs?? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor

I was disappointed too. I bought the adult size, and they are huge!! Or maybe I have tiny wrists, but OMG, they went up to my elbow - not my wrist. Also, National wildlife federation's bracelets are green (as well as a wilderness program, forget which one) - couldn't they have picked a more unique color? I haven't seen teal or baby blue anywhere.....or even blue for that matter. Or orange. Or dark purple. Come on, folks that designed these, a little creativity goes a long way.

zippy Newbie

I went ahead and ordered the angelic grooves bracelet, engraved with celiac, you can order based on your wrist size, and a good portion goes to celiac groups. :D

jenvan Collaborator

that stinks...good to know before i ordered them though! maybe celiac needs the green ribbon idea...i wonder if green is already taken ? ooo, teal...that would be pretty :)

bluelotus--sounds like you need to turn that bracelet into an arm band ! or a choker perhaps ? :)

elonwy Enthusiast

I bought ten of them, and I really like them. The adult size is a bit big, but it doesn't reach my elbow. Every Color has 4-5 things it represents now, green is also biodiesel and leukemia.

I gave some to the students that work for me and one of them found out a friend of his has celiac, because he was wearing the bracelet. Mine hasn't left my wrist since I got it.

I don't really like jewelry so those other ones I would never wear.

They're very pretty, but sooo not me.

My 2cents.

Elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

Also:

Light Blue : Prostate cancer

Blue : Drunk Driving

Dark Blue: Child Abuse, Colon Cancer

Green: Health, Ecology, Leukemia, Organ Donor, Celiac, BioDeisel

Pink: Breast Cancer, Birth Parents

REd: AIDS, Blood Donor, DUI awareness, substance abuse

Yellow: Come Home ( troops), General Cancer

Orange: Hunger, Lupus, Racial Tolerance

White: right to LIfe, Free Speech, Alzheimers

Black: Mourning, Melanoma

grey: Diabetes

Gold: childhood cancer

Purple: sexual/domestic violence, childhood cancer

In case anyone was wondering. They've gotten so popular you can have them made for your soccer team, so the colors have lost thier power, its the wearing and explaining why that makes the difference.

Elonwy

skbird Contributor

Yeah, I got a green one a couple of weeks back because I was at SF's DeYoung Museum on opening day and they gave them away for that event - bright green.

I think it's neat but they are everywhere, the color isn't much to do with it anymore. I haven't gotten an Angelic Groove bracelet but I did get the keyring and it's beautiful.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor
Also:

Light Blue : Prostate cancer

Blue : Drunk Driving

Dark Blue: Child Abuse, Colon Cancer

Green: Health, Ecology, Leukemia, Organ Donor, Celiac, BioDeisel

Pink: Breast Cancer, Birth Parents

REd: AIDS, Blood Donor, DUI awareness, substance abuse

Yellow: Come Home ( troops), General Cancer

Orange: Hunger, Lupus, Racial Tolerance

White: right to LIfe, Free Speech, Alzheimers

Black: Mourning, Melanoma

grey: Diabetes

Gold: childhood cancer

Purple: sexual/domestic violence, childhood cancer

In case anyone was wondering. They've gotten so popular you can have them made for your soccer team, so the colors have lost thier power, its the wearing and explaining why that makes the difference.

Elonwy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Light purple is diabetes, I think. Or maybe that was March of Dimes...not sure

But no teal on your list! :rolleyes:

My gripe about green was that everyone I know has green bracelets b/c they are all "Greenies", so I never get asked about mine since it blends in. Kind of defeats the purpose (other than some money going to research).

zippy Newbie

I agree it has gotten overkill with the bracelets, I was just very disappointed in the quality of the univ. of maryland ones. Anyway, maybe my angelic grooves one will attract more attention to the cause anyway. A friend of mine has a similar pink beaded one for breast cancer and it definitely got my attention and it had a very touching story behind it. She found it on the ground at the breast cancer walk she participated in and was very upset that someone had lost it, tried to find an owner, but there were thousands of people there and it was the last day, many people had already left, so she decided to wear it in honor of the person who lost it and pray for the person it was worn in support of.

Archived