This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Supplements...preworkout, Post, Etc.

BobbyD1981

BobbyD1981 Newbie

Hello,

I was recently diagonosed with gluten intolerance and was curious about the supplements I take.  All of my vitamins I now buy at the same office I was diagnosed and they are gluten-free, but I was curious about preworkout powder and protein.  I've only been gluten-free for 2 months now.  The whole thing is very new to me.  Thanks for any comments or info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Bobby D

How were you diagnosed with gluten intolerance? 

BobbyD1981 Newbie

Hi Bobby D

How were you diagnosed with gluten intolerance? 

I went to a health facility that specializes in nutrition.  I have been seeing a doctor who advised me (after i told her symptoms) to stay off of gluten for a week and see what happens.  I did this along with taking some pharmecutical probiotic and GI sustain, along with some normal vitamins.  On my follow up appointment I explained to her the drastic diffences and she said I probably have celiac or most certainly gluten sensitive.  She explained in order to test for celiacs I'd have to start eating gluten again, and I really don't want to do that.  I was sick for 3 or 4 years and had no clue what was wrong.  I had no health insurance and just ignored the sympotoms.  I also had a rash on my stomach and chest and it has slowly faded away over the last couple of months off of gluten.  I go back next week for a nutrion test and will talk more about a endoscope and testing for celiacs. 

kareng Grand Master

I went to a health facility that specializes in nutrition.  I have been seeing a doctor who advised me (after i told her symptoms) to stay off of gluten for a week and see what happens.  I did this along with taking some pharmecutical probiotic and GI sustain, along with some normal vitamins.  On my follow up appointment I explained to her the drastic diffences and she said I probably have celiac or most certainly gluten sensitive.  She explained in order to test for celiacs I'd have to start eating gluten again, and I really don't want to do that.  I was sick for 3 or 4 years and had no clue what was wrong.  I had no health insurance and just ignored the sympotoms.  I also had a rash on my stomach and chest and it has slowly faded away over the last couple of months off of gluten.  I go back next week for a nutrion test and will talk more about a endoscope and testing for celiacs.

That's a shame,,,,, she knew you should be eating gluten to get blood tested but advised you to stop anyway. Would make me think twice before going with her advice and paying her more money. These people make me angry... They just want to sell you stuff. That's my opinion and experience, anyway.... You can do what you like. I hope you find a way to feel better.

And you need to be eating gluten to get an accurate Celiac test by endoscopy. But you would need an actual GI (MD) for an endoscopy.

IrishHeart Veteran

Bobby

You really haven't been diagnosed with anything yet.

There is a major clinical difference between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.

If you want to be sure about what you are dealing with, please see a GI doctor and have proper testing done.

Too many nutritionists, chiropractors, "applied kinesiologists" and acupuncturists are "diagnosing people". with what they *think*

is a gluten- related illness. This is risky business, in my opinion.

Go to the doctor. Tell him/her your story. Supplements are only useful when there is a deficiency. And yes, probiotics are good for everyone's gut.

It does sound as if gluten could be an issue for you, but that does not necessarily mean you have celiac disease.

But don't you want to know for sure what's going on in your body? i know I would. Best wishes. 

kareng Grand Master

Here is some info on diagnosing Celiac disease. The whole site has lots of info like symptoms, what tests to have run, etc.

Open Original Shared Link

BobbyD1981 Newbie

Bobby

You really haven't been diagnosed with anything yet.

There is a major clinical difference between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.

If you want to be sure about what you are dealing with, please see a GI doctor and have proper testing done.

Too many nutritionists, chiropractors, "applied kinesiologists" and acupuncturists are "diagnosing people". with what they *think*

is a gluten- related illness. This is risky business, in my opinion.

Go to the doctor. Tell him/her your story. Supplements are only useful when there is a deficiency. And yes, probiotics are good for everyone's gut.

It does sound as if gluten could be an issue for you, but that does not necessarily mean you have celiac disease.

But don't you want to know for sure what's going on in your body? i know I would. Best wishes. 

Thanks for your input.  There is a bit more to the story.  She tested my blood on the initial visit and my body was defeciant of almost all vitamins.  So, without doubt I need supplementation. Vitamin D, ZINC, B, etc. all were inadequate.  In my opinion, it makes no difference if I have celiac or not, gluten is something I do not need in my diet.  I have been 10000000 time better since I cut it out a couple months ago. Like I said, I go back next week for further testing and discussion of taking the step farther to find out 100% if I have celiacs.  I will weigh the cost and such in on my decision. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for your input.  There is a bit more to the story.  She tested my blood on the initial visit and my body was defeciant of almost all vitamins.  So, without doubt I need supplementation. Vitamin D, ZINC, B, etc. all were inadequate.  In my opinion, it makes no difference if I have celiac or not, gluten is something I do not need in my diet.  I have been 10000000 time better since I cut it out a couple months ago. Like I said, I go back next week for further testing and discussion of taking the step farther to find out 100% if I have celiacs.  I will weigh the cost and such in on my decision. 

Ok hon. It's your call, of course. Glad you feel better. 

BobbyD1981 Newbie

Ok hon. It's your call, of course. Glad you feel better. 

Thank you :)  I'm glad too.  This forum is going to help out a lot.  To keep the thread on topic I just got home from nutrishop and picked up some gluten-free protein. The guy said virtually all of their supplements are gluten-free.

LauraTX Rising Star

Thank you :)  I'm glad too.  This forum is going to help out a lot.  To keep the thread on topic I just got home from nutrishop and picked up some gluten-free protein. The guy said virtually all of their supplements are gluten-free.

Did the gentleman tell you which ones were not? Make sure to take note :)

BobbyD1981 Newbie

Did the gentleman tell you which ones were not? Make sure to take note :)

He did not!  I was in and out pretty quick and didn't really have time for elaboration.  I will find out next trip.  I only get protein there, and sometimes preworkout.  I get all my vitamins from nutrionalist that is gluten-free.

• 1 month later...
Dana Leo Newbie

I was recently diagnosed as well and looked through all my tubs of protein...they are all labeled gluten free. I would imagine there are a lot of gluten free proteins available since most bodybuilding gurus I know try to avoid gluten regardless of celiac. My C4 pre workout doesn't state gluten free but I see nothing in it that would make me think it has gluten and it has never bothered me.

nvsmom Community Regular

This thread is a bit old so you may not get a response, but I'll jump in.

Make sure you read the labels of your protein powders beyond the gluten-free labels. Some in the gluten-free Ingredients and Food Labelling forum recently was glutened by a protein powder! that was labelled gluten-free but it had sprouted barley in it!  I think it was called Greens First.

Here's the link:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/109737-labeled-gluten-free-but-contains-sprouted-barely/

I used to used a really clean whey powder but I went off milk entirely so I switched to Vega. It's pretty good, and I like adding it to my baking, but it will turn your drinks (or food) green.  LOL

I also recommend L-glutamine.  It speeds up muscle recovery so you won't be as sore or for as long after a workout.  As an added bonus, some doctors believe that it may help with intestinal healing as well, so your gluten-free recovery will be quicker (once you are gluten-free for good).

Archived