This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Time To Lose

nvsmom

julissa Explorer

Nicole, I hope you feel better soon! and yes, I really do wish the reaction was immediate, this is getting very very old ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
icelandgirl Proficient

Take good care of yourself Nicole...feel better soon!

nvsmom Community Regular

Thanks all.  It really is a blessing in disguise to lose your appetite when trying to cut back!  LOL  Plus I can't smell anything so most treat foods would be pretty flavourless for now. I almost want this to last a couple of more days while I get into the swing of things.

For those of you who are soy and corn free, I'm beginning to feel your frustration.  Soy lecithin is in everything that comes out of a box. I wanted to make a quick soup for myself and found it in boullion.  Oh well.

Today I've eaten coffee with coconut cream, fried bok choy and bacon.  Dinner will be green beans and bratwurst, and I'll have some more fish and some peas for a snack.... and lots of tea... without honey. :(  LOL ;)

icelandgirl Proficient

It seems like anything convenient to eat has soy. It's way harder than giving up gluten...at least for me.

julissa Explorer

icelandgirl, I do have a little almond milk every morning, not even a full cup though

also, I saw you wrote about MFP saying you should have 1800 a day to maintain and you were only getting 1500. I'm curious if you upped your calories above 1500 now trying to get to 1800.  

MFP has me at 1420 a day and I never even get close. yesterday I came in at around 1080. I am trying to eat more but just can't for some reason. I wonder if my issues are that I am not getting enough calories. 

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Julissa,

If your almond milk has carageenan, it might be worth trying to cut it out.  It helped me a lot.

I'm working on the calories.  If I really plan it out and shove food in my mouth even when I'm not hungry I can get to 1800.  Most days I'm between 1600 and 1700.  But better than the 1500.  It's really hard for me to get that many calories with just meat, fruits and veggies.  I've added some coconut oil just to get calories up.  I put some in my coffee and then on veggies.  I also eat avocados.  And pretty much every day some Enjoy Life chocolate chips.  And...something really unhealthy, but a quick source of calories that doesn't upset my stomach...Lays potato chips.

Your calories are very low.  I would think that could cause issues.  Your body needs a certain amount just to function.  I will make myself eat even if I don't want it...just to get the calories.  I don't want to lose any more weight.

nvsmom Community Regular

Hey ladies, have you tried adding nuts into your day?  They are a fast calorie boost.  Nuts like macadamias are very low in sugars and have lots of tasty fats. Mmmm. Now I want nuts.

Well, being corn, soy, peanut, egg, dairy, sugar and gluten free seems to be agreeing with me... Darn it.  Even though I am sick with a cough and cold, I can feel that my insides are getting happier. It is almost like my sense of well being has increased even though I have a virus.  Could also be a placebo effect, its hard to say.

I am less bloated now. Its not anything that someone could notice but I feel it in my clothing fit and my in face.  One of those seven foods my body doesn't like.  Oops, I mean at least two of those foods my body doesn't like.  LOL  Gluten has been gone for a couple of years... I wonder which ones it is?  I know sugar is bad for me (darn it again) but I really hope its not eggs, or soy.  I like eggs - it is my go to food - and soy is in everything!  Corn...well, I know corn bothers me. If I eat tortilla chips or popcorn I feel yucky and often have chest/reflux pain afterwards.  I should probably cut that out completely but I'm not looking forward to maintaining that. Corn is another food that is in everything. :rolleyes:  I don't eat peanuts often so that wouldn't be a problem for me at all.

I wonder if the small amounts of soy and corn that I've eaten in my daily life were enough to throw my body off. I do not eat soy except in the occasional processed food like a granola bar or chocolate chips. I consider myself to be soy light.  Similar thing with corn but a bit more. I don't eat corn on the cob, and only eat popcorn or tortilla on occasion - about once a month, maybe twice. I don't bake with corn starch but I will eat some products with corn starch. Meds all seem to have corn too.  That could get tricky.

Oh shoot, I forgot to check if my Thyroid med has any soy or corn. I'll do that now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Ah man!  Erfa's Thyroid (med) has corn and sugar added!  :angry:  I checked and Armour appears to have corn too!

Are there any other natural desiccated thyroid products available to Canadians out there? I am NOT going back to synthetic because of the corn...

Gemini Experienced

OK...I realize I am one of the skinny Celiac's but I work out at a gym with a personal trainor and the vast majority of the women at the gym are not like me. They are there to lose a lot of weight and many of them are middle aged......like me.  The things I have learned about maintaining weight and gaining muscle are good for losing weight too and followed by the larger ladies trying to lose weight.

Protein is your friend and should be the first thing on your plate in the morning.  That means eating things for brekkies that you are not used to eating for brekkies, like turkey and veggies.  Eggs are good also and they do NOT raise cholesterol. 

Limit those carbs but you do need to eat some healthy ones.  Eat the ones that don't come with a sugar hit.  Yes, sugar makes you fat, plain and simple but it is OK to eat a little, if you are active.  Unless it derails your diet, eating a small amount is OK.

Weight train.  This is so important as you age and will boost your metabolism, which becomes slower and slower with each passing decade.  I cannot tell you how well it works for weight loss, coupled with a good diet.  I have seen women who swear they can NEVER lose weight, turn around and after 6 months, they have lost 40-50 pounds. It's the number one exercise for burning calories.  I can eat a lot of food for my size because I weight train.

Lastly, eat every 3 hours approximately, no exceptions.  I mean small, healthy snacks and keep total calorie count at the right amount for your size.  Eating that often actually keeps your metabolism ramped up.  Fasting or not eating enough slows it down.  So, eat brekkies, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and then small snack but not right before bed. This really works......I have seen it many times over and none of these women are complaining they are hungry.  Just make sure the snack portion is not too large....5 or 6 almonds and a small piece of fruit.  It doesn't take  much to keep you feeling full.

Remember, you burn more calories doing nothing with more lean muscle mass.  Having more body fat slows down your metabolism.  This is why men burn more calories than women do, at rest.  They have more muscle mass.

Good luck, everyone!

bartfull Rising Star

Nicole, the corn that is in your meds is most likely corn starch. There's no protein in corn starch. That was the first thing I got back, long before I got the other parts of corn back. As a matter of fact I'm not sure if the starch ever bothered me. Once I reacted to corn meal I just gave up all forms of corn. But anyway, most people who are intolerant to something react to the protein so here's hoping the meds aren't what is setting you off.

nvsmom Community Regular

Nicole, the corn that is in your meds is most likely corn starch. There's no protein in corn starch. That was the first thing I got back, long before I got the other parts of corn back. As a matter of fact I'm not sure if the starch ever bothered me. Once I reacted to corn meal I just gave up all forms of corn. But anyway, most people who are intolerant to something react to the protein so here's hoping the meds aren't what is setting you off.

I hope you are right.  I've been on these meds for well over a year and after all that time I doubt they are causing problems. I was dismayed that I could not go totally corn free - I won't know if I feel better going 100% corn free because I can't at the moment.

I over reacted. I know corn bothers me, but it's the sugar elephant in the corner that I should not ignore!  :D  We have a love hate relationship. If sugar was a person, I would have dumped him decades ago. I don't tolerate people treating me poorly... Juts sugar.   :rolleyes:

Gemini - I like weight training, and I used to do it, but I gave it up due to the pain.  I should restart. I could lift with my arms again, and do some leg work. Pain in my knees and hips limits me some there.

Once I'm better I'll reconsider weights again.  I do well on weights. I'm one of those people who put on muscle very quickly - my husband was jealous of me when we used to work out together.  LOL  To be honest, I need more muscle.  My muscles have noticeably shrunk (wasted) while I was on steroids over the last year or so. It will take some work to get back to where I was.

julissa Explorer

thanks for all the feedback. I don't think exercise is an issue in my life, as I am a yoga and pilates teacher, and in addition to the classes I teach, I take additional classes. I am thin, had lost lots of weight, and am actually happy with my weight and my size, it's just stomach bloat that drives me crazy. 

I am working on upping my calories. we shall see. 

julissa Explorer

icelandgirl, well, I think you may have been on to something. I didn't have almond milk yesterday and my bloat was down. this morning I didn't have it again, I usually put it in my oatmeal that I've been eating with no problems, and feel like I bloat right up after. I am going to stay away from the carageenan for the next few days and see how it goes. thanks again! 

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Julissa! I'm so glad to hear that! I hope that it continues to help! I know how much it helped me. Keep me posted. Other places to look for it are yogurt, ice cream, other milks...for some reason it is in Costco rotisserie chicken?

julissa Explorer

thanks! I am allergic to dairy, so those are not a problem, and I don't eat any food I didn't make myself, so that's all good too. I appreciate the info!

nvsmom Community Regular

Rotisserie chicken? really? Huh.  :blink:

I think this cold is turning into a sinus infection, and this cough is wearing me out. My chest is getting tender already.   :rolleyes:  I still have that bright side of very little appetite though.  LOL It really is helpful.

I finished reading J.J. Virgin's The Virgin Diet.  That's where I got the idea to cut corn, soy, eggs, dairy. peanuts and sugar all at once.  It turned out to be pretty good but what she says about celiac disease and NCGS does not entirely match up to what I know about those topics.  Either I'm a bit misinformed, she's a bit misinformed, or she simplified things so much it isn't quite right anymore.

Anyway, I like the idea of eliminating these foods but I won't be adding them back on rotation after 21 days.  From what I know, it can take longer than 21 days for the body to start recovering from a sensitivity.  I might allow myself a treat on Xmas and Xmas Eve, but otherwise I'll keep this up for a couple of months (at least).

I also don't like how she adds in a food for 4-5 days and then waits 2-3 days for a reaction, and then you stop that food and immediately try reintroducing another.  I'm sure some people react and recover that quickly (1 week) but I think some may need to reintroduce the foods over a longer period and then have a longer observation period... We'll see.

She says flat out that most people should limit corn and  peanuts for life. If they don't bug you much have corn (products?) maybe once or twice a month, otherwise skip it. I should be okay with that.

It's only been five days and my tummy is getting flatter and the bloat just under my ribs is quite down.  Yay!  I almost wish my scale was working.  LOL

bartfull Rising Star

With your sinuses all blocked up you might weigh more. :lol: (Sorry. I shouldn't make fun of your pain.)

Seriously, I do hope you're feeling better soon. Thanksgiving is coming up and it would be such a shame not to enjoy it. (((HUGS)))

nvsmom Community Regular

:P  LOL  That could be a good excuse.... I'll have to remember that one.

Canadian Thanksgiving happened about a month ago, and it's not a big deal like it is down there (I think).  I believe we do ours early because our harvest is earlier... Meaning our winter comes too darn early!  :rolleyes: Everyone around here just keeps saying. "at least we're not Buffalo".   ;) Although I kind of think that much snow would be a bunch of fun!

icelandgirl Proficient

You poor thing... (((hugs)))...keep taking care of yourself so you can feel better.

nvsmom Community Regular

Thanks Icelandgirl.  :) I'll be fine, just have to wait it out.  My voice is hilarious right now. I sound like a malfunctioning robot.  ;)

I was proud of myself today. I was at a family birthday party and just had tea even though I had made brownies and lemon loaf for my family.  I was tempted but I didn't cave.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
nvsmom Community Regular

I had some baked goods this weekend (with soy, eggs and sugar) but I'm getting back on track today.  I'll need another 3 weeks without eggs, soy, milk, eggs, sugar, and (mostly) corn, since I ate those foods this weekend.  We were out of the house and eating at other people's homes to be strict. It wasn't worth the hassle... and I wanted a few tortillas, chilli and a cookie while I watched the CFL Grey Cup game (Go Stampeders! Woohoo!).  I don't feel out of control so I'll reign it in quickly today

I think I have lost a few.  My pants are a tad bit looser. I'm guessing I lost close to 5lbs in the last couple of weeks.  A drop in the bucket but it is nice to feel a difference however small.

I am beginning to wonder if tree nuts are bothering me.  My lips are getting a bit puffy feeling after eating pistachios.  I am hoping it is just because of the salt but I am beginning to worry.  I'll give it a few days and try them without salt  and see how it goes.  I really really really hope that nuts aren't part of my problem.  I love nuts. Love them. I eat some everyday.  Sometimes I'll just eat nuts for an entire lunch.  Tree nuts would be very hard to say goodbye to.

It almost seems like a nut allergy since my lips feel puffy.  Allergies don't often come on this late in life (40) do they? 

Giving up nuts for just a few days seems like a hardship.  LOL

icelandgirl Proficient

Avoiding soy completely is so hard...it is in everything. Why? No clue.

Good for you though to enjoy your weekend, have some good stuff and then get ready to start again.

I was pretty much living on almonds for a while. Then gave them up trying to see if it would help my digestive issues. When I tried reintroducing them I got very bloated and burpy. Doesn't that just sound attractive? I do miss them. They were such a nice, filling snack for me. I hope you get your pistachios back without issues!

• 1 month later...
nvsmom Community Regular

Ugh. I started a workout program this morning: P90X30.  It is a P90X, which I did a few years ago then quit due to an injury, but it is only 30 minutes long.  It was a humbling experince.  Hopefully it will get easier as I lose weight.!

The last couple of weeks I have eaten whatever I felt like, and I'm feeling it.  Blah.  Now I am easing back into low sugar and no baked goods.  Pop is back on my no-no list.

My New Year resolution was to do one or more rounds of P90X30 and then go back to P90X.  I want to lose 30lbs by the end of June. That's 5 lbs per month so completely doable.  I would like to have lost 40lbs by next Xmas, or at least look and feel like I have. LOL

Going without those foods I posted about earlier, did not seem to do much for me... except the sugar. Sugar is my inflammatory food.  Corn is not kind to me either but I rarely eat it.  Soy is usually skipped too.  Nuts i am not totally sure about yet... I may try cutting that again in another month or two.  Eggs seem fine. Yeah!

CK1901 Explorer

I seriously recommend doing Whole 30 to anyone recently diagnosed with celiac disease and struggling with weight gain. When I first got diagnosed, my gastro did not believe I had celiac (due to the fact that so many people are underweight upon diagnosis.) I was hanging around 170 (I'm 5'6.) I was pretty unhappy about it, but didn't have much energy to do anything. I had a slew of stomach issues, skin problems, vitamin deficiencies, joint pain, anemia, fatigue, etc. After switching to gluten-free, I ballooned up to 187. I definitely think it had to do with increased food absorption. I started exercising a bit, but no real change. It wasn't until my boyfried stumbled on Whole 30 that I really got my diet together (I didn't even realize how reliant I was on processed foods before.) Not to sound like an infomercial, but I think it really helped my intestines heal. My general health and my skin improved. No more mystery rashes or dry skin. Alot of the "rules" have stuck with me, though it's not intended as a long term diet for most people. I think sugar, dairy, and soy are inflammatory foods in general, regardless of whether you are allergic to them. However, we all have to live a little, within the confines of our dietary restrictions. Now I weigh 165 now, but I'd like to lose another 35 lbs. I just started Whole 30 again a few days ago, so we'll see. Also, lifting heavy weights has really changed my figure in a good way. Not bulky at all, but I'm seeing curves in the right places.

Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

I seriously recommend doing Whole 30 to anyone recently diagnosed with celiac disease and struggling with weight gain. When I first got diagnosed, my gastro did not believe I had celiac (due to the fact that so many people are underweight upon diagnosis.) I was hanging around 170 (I'm 5'6.) I was pretty unhappy about it, but didn't have much energy to do anything. I had a slew of stomach issues, skin problems, vitamin deficiencies, joint pain, anemia, fatigue, etc. After switching to gluten-free, I ballooned up to 187. I definitely think it had to do with increased food absorption. I started exercising a bit, but no real change. It wasn't until my boyfried stumbled on Whole 30 that I really got my diet together (I didn't even realize how reliant I was on processed foods before.) Not to sound like an infomercial, but I think it really helped my intestines heal. My general health and my skin improved. No more mystery rashes or dry skin. Alot of the "rules" have stuck with me, though it's not intended as a long term diet for most people. I think sugar, dairy, and soy are inflammatory foods in general, regardless of whether you are allergic to them. However, we all have to live a little, within the confines of our dietary restrictions. Now I weigh 165 now, but I'd like to lose another 35 lbs. I just started Whole 30 again a few days ago, so we'll see. Also, lifting heavy weights has really changed my figure in a good way. Not bulky at all, but I'm seeing curves in the right places.

Looks like a really good plan.  Thanks for posting the links.  :)  That is basically what I am doing with a few tweaks here and there. I really liked the printable shopping list downloads. I am going to print a couple off just to remind myself of how I should eat.  

I actually skipped my workout today. My knees and hips were really bad this morning.  I did the Agility workout yesterday and I think it was a bit much for me at the moment.  I was glutened 2 weeks ago and my joints have been acting up since then, and last night and this morning they were very tender and weak.  They finally improved at noon and now they are just injury-sore rather than OMG-what-did-I-do? sore.  It was a yoga workout today so I didn't miss much. 

Maybe shoveling the driveway 4 times in the last 24 hours will make up for it?  LOL  

I'm hoping my knees won't flare-up tomorrow morning again so hopefully I can do my workout.

My food is not great yet.  I had a slice of lemon poppy loaf today.  Otherwise I am easing into boring, I mean healthy foods.

Archived