This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Cookie Baking Question-Cookie Are Dry?

SMRI

SMRI Collaborator

I don't know if it is just the way it is with gluten-free baking but we just made some thumbprint cookies (with the Hershey Kiss cookies and peanut butter).  They taste fine but are a bit dry/crumbly.  Is that just par for the course with gluten-free flour mixes or is there something we can do to make them less dry.  DH does most of the baking and is a very good baker.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BridgetteIMcleod Newbie

Try almond flour or cream cheese. These will give the cookie moisture they need to not be dry/crumbly. Post the recipe and I will look to see where you can substitute one or both into the recipe.

bartfull Rising Star

Ooh! Thumbprint cookies, AKA peanut butter kisses, AKA, "tittie cookies" as my friend Glenn used to call them. :lol:

I used to LOVE those, and now that my diet has expanded, I can make them! I'll be going to a friend's house for Christmas and would love the recipe too.

mamaw Community Regular

The  no flour  peanut  butter  cookie  dough  is  very moist  did  you  use  that  recipe?  I  usually  just  use  my  old  wheat  recipes  &  sub  out  the  flour.....I use  KAF, Jules, Betterbatter or  dup4cup....I've  made  ten  different  gluten-free cookies  for the  holiday  &  I took some  for  a  party  &  even the  gluten eaters  gave them an A+...We do  like the roll out  sugar cookies  by Shari  Sanderson  Cooking  with Kids....

SMRI Collaborator

The post heading should be "cookies"  LOL

We used our regular recipe and subbed the flour mix we have.  The flour mix is   Superfine brown rice flour, Potato starch, Tapioca starch.  

Peanut Butter Chocolate Kiss Cookies

1 cup butter or shortening (we use shortening)

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Hershey Kisses

Cream butter, peanut butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients.  Shap into 1" balls, roll in sugar.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 375°.  Press kiss on top, bake for 2 more minutes.

SMRI Collaborator

The  no flour  peanut  butter  cookie  dough  is  very moist  did  you  use  that  recipe?  I  usually  just  use  my  old  wheat  recipes  &  sub  out  the  flour.....I use  KAF, Jules, Betterbatter or  dup4cup....I've  made  ten  different  gluten-free cookies  for the  holiday  &  I took some  for  a  party  &  even the  gluten eaters  gave them an A+...We do  like the roll out  sugar cookies  by Shari  Sanderson  Cooking  with Kids....

Can you post the roll out sugar cookie recipe :D

cyclinglady Grand Master

If converting from a regular recipe, use less gluten-free flour. It tends to absorb more liquid. For example, I use Pamela's gluten-free flour blend and make Toll-house chocolate chips cookies. The old recipe calls for 2-1/4 cup and I use just 2 cups of gluten-free flour. I will add a bit more back into the recipe if my eggs are super large. Just set aside 1/4 cup of gluten-free four until everything is mixed in and judge based on dough stickiness.

Make sure too that you scoop the flour into a measuring cup using a tablespoon. Do not scoop using the measuring cup. It compacts the flour -- another reason for a dry cookie.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

He scoops with a tablespoon so that is good.  We will try less flour too.

mamaw Community Regular

Shari Sanderson  " Gluten Free Food for Kids"   sugar  cookies.

1/3 c butter or oleo

1/3 c shortening

1 c rice  flour (fine)

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. unflavored  gelatin

1 egg

1 TBSP. milk

3/4 c  sugar

2 tsp. baking  powder

1 tsp  vanilla

1/4 tsp salt (scant)

1/2 c. tapioca starch

1/2 c. potato starch  flour

beat butter  &  shortening until creamy.  use  mixer

add  rice flour , X. gum , gelatin, egg, sugar, milk, baking powder, vanilla, & salt. beat until  well combined.

Add  tapioca starch  & potato  starch ( I blend  them together)  blend  until well  combines..

Cover  with plastic wrap &  chill  about  three hours.

Divide  dough  in half. keep  the unused  portion  in frig to keep it  chilled.

Roll 1 portion  on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8  thick  ( can  make  thicker  but  add a  bit  more  baking  time) if  dough  becomes  sticky  just  chill  over again.  bake  375  for  7-8 minutes.( for  2 1/2 inch cookies  smaller ones  less time or more  for  larger ones. I  pull  them  out  when bottoms  are  light  brown. Cool on  rack  &  decorate  .

This  was  the  first  cookbook  I purchased  twelve  years  ago  when first dx'd ...

It  is  a  favorite  of many a celiac...enjoy....

I do  make  ours thicker  than  1/8  inch , the  thinner  the  cookie  the  crispier  the cookie....enjoy.

LauraTX Rising Star

If converting from a regular recipe, use less gluten-free flour. It tends to absorb more liquid.

This.  If you use a flour blend often you will kind of notice it, but you can also weigh the ingredients, a lot of gluten-free flours are more dense, but to varying degrees.  It may help you out if you don't always use the same brand.

mommida Enthusiast

Remember to use "scoop - lift" method with gluten free flour.

I really suggest finding a recipe with cream cheese like the first poster suggested.  I have gotten some brittle dry almond flour before, but moist of the time it is nice and moist.  Do add some xanthan gum with the almond flour.

Some things I like to add... almond paste with added liquid of your choice to bring to the dough consistency.  Does great for cookies to get the outside crispy, but a nice soft chewiness for the inside.

Some gluten free flour blends~ like the pre-made Tom Saywer brand has added gelatin.  Very nice for baking.  Or consider using gelatin for an egg replacer for the recipe.

mamaw Community Regular

Mommida,

So  you scoop  your gluten-free  flours? I did  this  with wheat  flour  but  every  baking  thing  I've  ever  read  said  to lightly  spoon  in the gluten-free flour  into measuring  cup  then level off   with a  knife...this is the  first  time  I have  seen  it  another  way.. now  days  I usually  just  use  my  scale because  the gluten-free  flours  weigh  out  so differently....I guess  it  truly is  whatever  works.....I find the  scale  to be  the most reliable because I  hate  when  I  use all  this  expensive  flour  & the  end  product  is something  no one  can swallow....pricey  chicken feed!

SMRI Collaborator

He did add Xanthan gum...forgot that above. I copied the recipe out of the book--gluten recipe.

mommida Enthusiast

I really meant to spoon lift, like you described. 

Archived