This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chef That Wants Your Feedback

allergiescooked

LauraTX Rising Star

That website can be a good starting point, but especially with the menus they list, they could be outdated and such, so definitely do a second check for yourself.  They also include things on the gluten-free menu listings like fries that are fried in shared oil, etc, so use caution and verify yourself.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirmingitch Veteran

There is another website which is older & more established. it also has more information imo, being that it has reviews by people who have eaten there.

Open Original Shared Link

LauraTX Rising Star

There is another website which is older & more established. it also has more information imo, being that it has reviews by people who have eaten there.

Open Original Shared Link

I feel this is the best site for finding Celiac-Friendly dining.  I leave reviews on it, good or bad, so others can know.  Some places will have multiple reviews letting others know it is not safe for Celiacs, and I will know to steer clear.

• 4 weeks later...
JennyD Rookie

At Home: Keeping a shared environment in my kitchen is hard due to the lack of... I don't know what to call it because its not knowledge or a lack of consideration but my household forgets to keep my surfaces clear of gluten. They have a small space in the kitchen separate from the rest. The cost of gluten free flours/breads is ridiculous. Other than that, everything I make at home is super tasty and flavorful.

Eating out: If your restaurant takes the time to offer a gluten free menu I expect my server to know what i mean when I say the word Celiac period. If i said Peanut Allergy, they would take me seriously, if I say Celiac or Gluten Allergy (I know that is a misrepresentation but its easier sometimes) I am not taken seriously and 9 times out of 10 the servers have no clue what I am talking about. Also 9 times out of 10 they think I am a fad dieter, ALL staff when offering an allergen or specialized menu should be trained on the basics else don't offer them. At any good place I have dined the second I say Celiac I am instantly taken seriously and made to feel comfortable, that is how it should be for any specialized menu for medical reasons, the blank stare is terrifying. Or the "Oh you can have bread right?" OMG really??? That's so basic. That is so incredibly frustrating, this is a disease that can do a lot of damage, if your going to offer the option offer it well don't half a** it. Half of the time the Chef will come out and talk to me, this does ease my mind but I don't want to have to do that, I want a "normal" dining experience. For example, I don't want a parade of chef's and managers at my table, If its just a chef or just a manager fine, that's ok. I would like a normal menu if possible not a piece of paper or binder... When I do get a "real" menu I call it the big girls menu now lol, I just hate feeling different when all I am trying to do is enjoy a good meal and a good glass of wine, this hands down is the worse. The only exception is the iPad at red robin, but that makes sense since they change their sourcing often, that is fine, at least its not a half torn piece of paper that's been updated god knows when. Having more than 3 options would be cool too, and options that are not just salad or plain meats... spice things up! Gluten Free isn't bad in any way when you really look at it, I didn't have to alter my diet much at all after diagnosis so come on chef's, get creative!

Things I Miss: A good Ruben, Desert of all kinds, pizza that isn't thin crust, a deep dish would be amazing, waffles, fish and chips (I had a champagne battered fish and chip that was amazing at Disney), deep fried goodies, POUTINE FRIES (this is the biggest one and so easy to do gluten-free, I do it at home), chiabatta buns.

• 2 weeks later...
sunny2012 Rookie

I went to Las Vegas, NV U.S.A. We walked up to a hostess and mentioned gluten free. She asked if I have Celiac. Then she actually took me to the kitchen window to observe how they handle the meat and keep the entire kitchen separated with spices that are gluten free never touched by anyone who also handles gluten items. As she spoke, a wait staff member walked over to the sick to wash hands between making a salad and handling a plate of food. It was normal practice.

It was wonderful to be in a real service focused area.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Our frustrations are pretty simple.

We have 4 in the family, 2 diagnosed with celiac disease (10 year old and me, the mom).  We live in Boston where we seem to have some choices for eating out.  However, for the kid, he can go to several places and get a cheeseburger (99, 5 Napkin Burger, etc.) but none of them can cook french fries safely.  Who wants a burger with no fries?  We LOVE it when there is a carnival or festival in town because the French Fry truck is usually there. They serve ONLY fries, so the oil has not been contaminated.

Which brings me to my biggest frustration.  I can cook most things at home.  However, I'm not too keen on deep frying.  Every now and then we'd love a real, fried donut . . . or crispy fried chicken.  I just can't duplicate those kinds of treats in my kitchen.

Ditto with wood-fired pizza crusts.  That is what I miss most.

• 2 months later...
abenedum Rookie

Hi Chef Patterson,

My gripe about eating out is pasta or Italian food.  I used to love the lasagna at Johnny Carino's which I can no longer have.  Many Italian dishes can be converted with gluten free pasta and a little imagination.  And I definitely agree about the cannoli's !!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abenedum Rookie

The other thing is comfort foods when one has a cold or flu. Please explain why the gluten-free chicken soup in the can has to be filled with spices and hot sauces? (because when I am too sick I don't have strength to make it from scratch). I lose nearly 10 pounds anytime that I catch cold.

Progresso makes a good chicken and rice soup that is gluten free and not spicy. I have it all the time.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Which brings me to my biggest frustration.  I can cook most things at home.  However, I'm not too keen on deep frying.  Every now and then we'd love a real, fried donut . . . or crispy fried chicken.  I just can't duplicate those kinds of treats in my kitchen.

Ditto with wood-fired pizza crusts.  That is what I miss most.

Are there any Red Robins up there?  

across Contributor

I can't eat out with my husband...ever. I used to eat out at one place that is very, very careful, but wound up getting glutened there eventually. That was about 2 months ago, and I'm still not over the after-effects. I can't afford to risk it. The only place I would consider eating out from now would be s a 100% dedicated gluten-free restaurant (there isn't one in my town, and there are not too many of them in existence in this country). I would love to be able to eat out again!

I also have multiple intolerances. Dairy is a definite no-no for me. As a result, all my food is pretty much just fresh meat, vegetables, and fruit. Not that that's bad or anything, it's just limiting.

I don't know if this will be relevant to your or not, but I'd just really be happy with some great dishes that contain neither gluten or dairy. It's a one-two punch because most recipes contain at least one of the two.

• 3 weeks later...
NoGlutenCooties Contributor

For me, it's butter, sour cream, mayo, and ketchup.  I never trust these in a restaurant because you never know who stuck what in the tub of butter, etc. back in the kitchen.  So even if they had decent gluten-free bread, which I could actually do without anyways, I wouldn't trust restaurant butter.  And naked baked potatoes just aren't the same either.

So offering packets of butter, sour cream, mayo, and ketchup that are known to be safe would be awesome.

• 1 year later...
Victoria1234 Experienced

Did Chef Patterson ever return to reply or offer all his aforementioned tips?

Archived